ADVERTISEMENT

First time 2 top 25 teams meet on Skelly field

The CFP era has gotten a lot of criticism for giving special status to the P5 conferences. In reality, though, there has been 100 years of bias against the smaller conferences and less prominent teams. If anything, the past couple of decades have lead to a more equitable landscape when it comes to recognition and opportunity for teams across what is now called the G5. We have had a lot of great teams and it is only bias that has made Saturday's game stand out this way.

Wow. That is a surprising stat.

Could this be the greatest home game for Tulsa ever? I'd like to know the long-time fans' take on that.

I am sure this is a true statement however remember until the late 80’s/90’s (IIRC) the polls were only top 20. So I more accurate statement is “the first time two Top 20 teams have met on Skelly Field at HA Chapman Stadium”.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wow. That is a surprising stat.

Could this be the greatest home game for Tulsa ever? I'd like to know the long-time fans' take on that.
Not if you think about it for a minute. What usually gets you ranked? Playing and beating a ranked team usually get's you ranked, or does with a delay.(Meaning you get noticed, and with an additional win or two, then get ranked.) So how many times have we ever played a ranked team immediately after another ranked team.(Two ranked teams separated by 0-2 games.) How many times in Tulsa's past have we stayed ranked for more than a couple of three weeks, which would up the chances of seeing another ranked team?

attending since I was a child in the early 60s. I can't recall TU being ranked and playing another ranked team.

Not if you think about it for a minute. What usually gets you ranked? Playing and beating a ranked team usually get's you ranked, or does with a delay.(Meaning you get noticed, and with an additional win or two, then get ranked.) So how many times have we ever played a ranked team immediately after another ranked team.(Two ranked teams separated by 0-2 games.) How many times in Tulsa's past have we stayed ranked for more than a couple of three weeks, which would up the chances of seeing another ranked team?
I understand what you're saying. It's just over the course of 90 years you would think this would have happened already at some point. Even at a school like Tulsa.

BTW, Michigan is a +30 underdog to Ohio State. If I were to bet, I'd take Ohio State minus the points. Not sure Michigan can score against Ohio State and I'm pretty sure Michigan can't stop Ohio State. I'd be more willing to take a bet that Michigan COVID opts-out of this game this weekend.

That's a tall order.
The 2nd one becomes easier if you get the first one. Having Cincy here 2 weeks in a row would give us a huge confidence boost. Question would be, would Cincy travel back to Cincinnati between games or just stay in Tulsa? Limit exposure to unknowns in airports and on planes that way. Sort of create a bubble if you stay in Tulsa. We'll see.

Still need to get the 1st one if you're going to win 2 in a row.

BTW, Michigan is a +30 underdog to Ohio State. If I were to bet, I'd take Ohio State minus the points. Not sure Michigan can score against Ohio State and I'm pretty sure Michigan can't stop Ohio State. I'd be more willing to take a bet that Michigan COVID opts-out of this game this weekend.

If Michigan were to COVID opt out, If I were Ohio St I would call one of he Mid America teams pay them $500,000 and get over to the "Horse Shoe". That gets them six games and a playoff birth.

GO TU!!!

Based on the hatred between those two schools I could see UM pulling this late on Thursday or early Friday. The conference would be PO’ed and it would cost a lot of money. I bet The OSU is planning a contingency just in case.

If Michigan were to COVID opt out, If I were Ohio St I would call one of he Mid America teams pay them $500,000 and get over to the "Horse Shoe". That gets them six games and a playoff birth.

GO TU!!!
It doesn't get them into the B1G championship game though. I don't think the CFP ever set a minimum number of games but the B1G has 6 to be eligible for their championship game and OhState would miss out if the Wolverines bail.

Huge rivalry games don’t typically result in lopsided blowouts, regardless if one team is way down. 30 pts sounds crazy.

agree totally. That’s to induce betting. 3 touchs at most.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT