ADVERTISEMENT

FC Tulsa

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I have started watching them on TV recently due to the lack of other interesting sports and programming in the summer.

It has been interesting to see them transform their team mid-season and find their way to a four game win streak. It has been a case study in how little possession means in this game and how much a few tough, fast players who can time their runs well can have an oversized impact. That and a good GK on one end and a striker with a nose for goal on the other are truly golden. Much better results than they were getting with their more stylistic predecessors.

I have started watching them on TV recently due to the lack of other interesting sports and programming in the summer.

It has been interesting to see them transform their team mid-season and find their way to a four game win streak. It has been a case study in how little possession means in this game and how much a few tough, fast players who can time their runs well can have an oversized impact. That and a good GK on one end and a striker with a nose for goal on the other are truly golden. Much better results than they were getting with their more stylistic predecessors.
This run they're on is such a house of cards ready to come crashing down. I went to the game last night and I couldn't stop yelling about them continually trying to play the ball back through their center backs who lack the technical skill to be able to do that. The number of turnovers is their defensive 1/3 is going to creat trouble. Mind you, they played the last 60 minutes up a man and up 2 goals and they struggled to keep RGV from creating chances. The last 10 minutes they were up 2 men after a horrific high boot to Goodrum's head. And yet FC Tulsa still struggled to keep RGV at bay. They were too content to look backward without ever looking forward...it makes me so mad. They can't play at that level this next week against Tampa Bay or they're going to get hammered by a 3-0 or 4-0 score line.

Epps, Goodrum and the dude from New Zealand seem to have developed some nice chemistry and are converting a good percentage of chances. But I agree their defense looks really vulnerable.

I’m curious to hear the specifics of the youth academy FC Tulsa is starting.

Epps, Goodrum and the dude from New Zealand seem to have developed some nice chemistry and are converting a good percentage of chances. But I agree their defense looks really vulnerable.
The attack and creating chances is not a problem once they're Al to cross midfield with possession...but that is seemingly rare because they're always looking to play back first before looking forward. Goodrum and Epps have the ability to most defenders on skates and make life miserable for opposing defenses.

I’m curious to hear the specifics of the youth academy FC Tulsa is starting.
Hadn't heard this. Just more watered down youth soccer in Tulsa. And I wonder if it's a USL thing, especially if they go to the pro/rel model they're looking at.

Hadn't heard this. Just more watered down youth soccer in Tulsa. And I wonder if it's a USL thing, especially if they go to the pro/rel model they're looking at.
Haven’t heard any specifics other than the academy/league will be run out of Titan Main. I’ve been told they would like to consolidate several area clubs into one. FC Tulsa certainly has the resources to properly run an upper level academy. The next 12 months in Tulsa area youth soccer should be very interesting.

Haven’t heard any specifics other than the academy/league will be run out of Titan Main. I’ve been told they would like to consolidate several area clubs into one. FC Tulsa certainly has the resources to properly run an upper level academy. The next 12 months in Tulsa area youth soccer should be very interesting.
It won't affect me much other than where I referee games maybe. My son is a Sr in HS so this is his last year in club soccer.

I have pretty good sources that say's "If" the sale goes through that FC Tulsa will build a premier grass field and install new turf on the existing field for just FC Tulsa. They aren't going to start a club but rather just do clinics etc. open to all the clubs. Main is a complete disaster. 100 degree's on the inside fields are trash and 70% of bathrooms out of order.

I have pretty good sources that say's "If" the sale goes through that FC Tulsa will build a premier grass field and install new turf on the existing field for just FC Tulsa. They aren't going to start a club but rather just do clinics etc. open to all the clubs. Main is a complete disaster. 100 degree's on the inside fields are trash and 70% of bathrooms out of order.
You are 100% correct regarding the current condition of Titan Main. Complex hasn’t been properly maintained for the past several years. It’s a mess.

Not sure FC Tulsa will only do clinics. They are currently advertising fall youth leagues at Titan. Could be semantics though “clinics = leagues”? Either way I’m glad to see the facility under new ownership. My daughter has been up there at least 2x a week this summer and the heat inside is ridiculous.

You are 100% correct regarding the current condition of Titan Main. Complex hasn’t been properly maintained for the past several years. It’s a mess.

Not sure FC Tulsa will only do clinics. They are currently advertising fall youth leagues at Titan. Could be semantics though “clinics = leagues”? Either way I’m glad to see the facility under new ownership. My daughter has been up there at least 2x a week this summer and the heat inside is ridiculous.
And what group is the Jenks Sports Group that just bought south? Is it a separate entity led by the TSC folks as I know Barry had been trying to buy that site for a few years.

Titan, both sites, were destined to be awful b/c the clubs renting the facilities never asked the questions. The fields were never done properly for grass. Not enough actual top soil, no irrigation, and poor quality sod. Add to that a desire for Titan to cram as many teams on the fields for as long a time every day, the fields never had a chance beyond the first season. It's shocking to me no parent whose kid was injured as a result of playing on those subpar fields never found a way to sue Titan for the condition of the fields, especially after dangerous conditions were reported only to be assured that it was being addressed (3 yrs later and it hasn't been addressed).

Is FC Tulsa planning on building the stadium out in Jenks? Because there gonna be a whole lot of mad downtown yuppies and dinks bigly mad about that. They like their being able to pregame at a dozen different downtown watering holes, walking to the game at kick, and then going back to the watering hole after the game.

Jenks Sports Group is comprised by a number of investors. The guy who owns the Sports Armory in Jenks is one of them. That complex is going to have the same issues as Titan Main as far as the fields with TSC leasing them. Simply not enough fields to rotate trainings and these fields will be under more use pressure than what TSC was using prior. Heard a rumor that South will eventually be sold to the City if Jenks who will run the complex. No idea if that is true.

As far as I know FC Tulsa plans to continue to play downtown. I’ve heard zero about any plans to move.

It’s amazing the growth in the Jinx area. Is that where FC Tulsa would build a soccer stadium should they ever do that?

It’s amazing the growth in the Jinx area. Is that where FC Tulsa would build a soccer stadium should they ever do that?
They missed their opportunity to do that way back when. Now developing in the river might be as expensive as developing downtown. It would be hard for FC Tulsa to build a stadium away from downtown because the core fan group loves being downtown. I remember all the people who bitched about the BOK being built and how they'll never go downtown for it, and then it was OneOK and why did they move the Drillers away from the fairgrounds and they weren't going to go. Well, the people bitching have egg on their face. All the businesses who bitched about the business tax district increase to build OneOK have either closed up shop OR their taking in the money from all the activity downtown now.

As I said above, I don’t believe they’re moving. That said, lots of new construction now ongoing along the River. Jenks area is booming with more to come. I would like to see a soccer only stadium built in the Tulsa area.

Reactions: TU 1978
Jenks Sports Complex is owned by 3 people. Pace (Sports Armory) is in the management group. It will have (2) 11v11 Turf fields and 1 turf 9v9. The rest other 12 fields are grass with 3 extra's to rotate. I drove by the other day and they were watering for the first time since 2019.

Jenks Sports Complex is owned by 3 people. Pace (Sports Armory) is in the management group. It will have (2) 11v11 Turf fields and 1 turf 9v9. The rest other 12 fields are grass with 3 extra's to rotate. I drove by the other day and they were watering for the first time since 2019.
I had heard that Pace had an ownership interest. My apologies. No very familiar with that group. I’m still unsure how that venture breaks even much less turns a profit. Maybe they don’t care?

I always liked Coach Pace. My son did some speed and agility training with him.
As for the watering, they need to install an irrigation system to water regularly especially in Tulsa's ridiculous summers.

I always liked Coach Pace. My son did some speed and agility training with him.
As for the watering, they need to install an irrigation system to water regularly especially in Tulsa's ridiculous summers.
usa network wwe GIF

This guy watering the fields isn’t enough?

Got their butts kicked tonight. Had some good opportunities only that they wasted, then could not withstand the pressure in the second half. Really looked tired and did close to nothing positive in the second half.

Wasn’t surprised at the result. Tough opponent on the road after a great run. Thought they lacked effort after giving up the first goal. Hoping we can finish the season strong then make a few needed additions in the off season.

Told you...house of cards right now. They are good on offense but not very good in the back and they can't hold onto the ball when needed. The disparity in the possession tonight was a real story. Hard to score if you never have the ball and you're also chasing the game which results in tired legs. I knew it was going to be trouble when Tampa had a few seemingly uncontested headers off of corners. Tulsa simply doesn't defend set pieces well and tonight it showed. They need to find some quality MFs who can hold the ball and pass the crap out of it. And there needs to be a change in the pass the ball backwards before looking up and forward.

Hey they won their season opener. But now don’t play again for two weeks. USL schedule is odd.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Talked to a couple of the players a few weeks ago. Seemed confident. Of course they likely are always confident before the season starts :).

I am watching now and boy, this is a very different style of play. They played uber direct and had very little possession but generated many opportunities. Perhaps it was a tactical choice due to the very narrow pitch but it really worked.

The have a second striker playing alongside Goodrum and he seems dangerous. Both guys scored. Goodrum played in a recessed position behind the other striker Stojanovic.

It will be interesting to see how the season evolves.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Saw the game live on +
Dominated early and never in doubt
But Vegas is terribly weak

Saw the game live on +
Dominated early and never in doubt
But Vegas is terribly weak
Not sure what you can read into the Vegas game other than the 3 points. Vegas simply isn’t very good. I saw some positive signs. Hopefully they can replicate when faced with better competition.

Crazy to me that Tulsa Athletic has a home game before FC Tulsa. USL Championship schedule is off

I’m not confident. Roster seems worse than last year.
It's way better actually. Lots more ball control through the MF and the CBs seem to have a better understanding of position and relationship. And they're more athletic than last season. This team is going to press the crap out of teams and cause turnovers. Goodrum and Stojanovic are going to get after people.

Now I will say, Las Vegas is not very good. Tulsa will have a good test the next time out vs Tampa Bay. If they can come out of that with a good showing they'll have a good season. I think the avg score in those games vs the Rowdies the last two seasons has been something like 5-1 for Tampa Bay.

I am watching now and boy, this is a very different style of play. They played uber direct and had very little possession but generated many opportunities. Perhaps it was a tactical choice due to the very narrow pitch but it really worked.

The have a second striker playing alongside Goodrum and he seems dangerous. Both guys scored. Goodrum played in a recessed position behind the other striker Stojanovic.

It will be interesting to see how the season evolves.
Good call on the style. Tulsa also pressed hard which they didn't do under Nsien and even last year. You don't press if you don't have the MFs to handle playing a full 100 yards or the ability to track back and defend if the press gets broken down. I saw Vegas trying to work out of the back and simply playing backwards a lot because there wasn't much space. Will that style work vs Tampa Bay, who is usually one of the top sides in USL year in and year out.

Good call on the style. Tulsa also pressed hard which they didn't do under Nsien and even last year. You don't press if you don't have the MFs to handle playing a full 100 yards or the ability to track back and defend if the press gets broken down. I saw Vegas trying to work out of the back and simply playing backwards a lot because there wasn't much space. Will that style work vs Tampa Bay, who is usually one of the top sides in USL year in and year out.
It will also be interesting to see if Stoyanovich can be as efficient in future matches. He did not have lots of touches but did really well on his goal. Goodrum was terrific in his role and seemed much less frustrated than last season. He naturally got more into the action both ways how they used him.

It will also be interesting to see if Stoyanovich can be as efficient in future matches. He did not have lots of touches but did really well on his goal. Goodrum was terrific in his role and seemed much less frustrated than last season. He naturally got more into the action both ways how they used him.
Goodrum is a really good player. He is versatile in that he can play with his back to goal as a hold up 9, can take the ball and break down a defender 1v1 going to goal, and can actually take the top off the defense.

One other thing I noticed is this team looks to get the ball going towards goal right away. Nsien wanted them to play like they were Liverpool and rag the ball around in the back...problem is they didn't have players who were good enough in possession OR good enough in picking out passes and connecting on them. They also almost always never looked to turn up field on first look. They invited pressure against them and it created problems in the back. You were right in that they were more direct and looking to move forward the other night. It's refreshing. Hope they have the horses to make it work for a full season.

Reactions: drboobay
FC Tulsa had a soccer camp yesterday for mainly younger kids. After camp every FC Tulsa player stayed and signed autographs for every kid who wanted one. No one left until the last kid was taken care of. Thought it was a really nice gesture one behalf of the club and especially those players.

Reactions: T_Hans and drboobay
FC Tulsa had a soccer camp yesterday for mainly younger kids. After camp every FC Tulsa player stayed and signed autographs for every kid who wanted one. No one left until the last kid was taken care of. Thought it was a really nice gesture one behalf of the club and especially those players.
FC Tulsa does everything right in the community as far as I can tell. They are extremely engaged within the community in general and most of the players stay after home games and give autographs to pretty much anyone who wants one. I wish Tulsa in general would support this team to the same level they give back to the community. I think that is the commitment the Crafts have shown in their ownership of the team and the investment in some of the youth programs they are running and the purchase of Titan.

And I think they're committed to putting a winning product on the field as well but I think it's tough to attract some players here when you've got Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Vegas, Memphis, etc. in USL.

Reactions: lawpoke87
FC Tulsa does everything right in the community as far as I can tell. They are extremely engaged within the community in general and most of the players stay after home games and give autographs to pretty much anyone who wants one. I wish Tulsa in general would support this team to the same level they give back to the community. I think that is the commitment the Crafts have shown in their ownership of the team and the investment in some of the youth programs they are running and the purchase of Titan.

And I think they're committed to putting a winning product on the field as well but I think it's tough to attract some players here when you've got Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Vegas, Memphis, etc. in USL.
Who wants to live in Memphis???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT