ADVERTISEMENT

Early season predictions

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
7-5 overall (4-4 conference)

I think this is a very optimistic prediction, UCF is already better without even playing a game yet, ECU will most likely be favored. We are more likely of losing winnable games than winning games we shouldn't unless the defense exceeds expectations. 6-6 is probably a more realistic scenario, but 8-4 could be within reach.

Sep 3
ssc.gif
San Jose St. Win

Sep 10
oob.gif
at Ohio State Loss

Sep 17
nnm_2.gif
N.C. A&T Win

Sep 24
ffe.gif
at Fresno State Win

Oct 7
ssh2.gif
SMU Win

Oct 15
50x50c.gif
at Houston Loss

Oct 22
tts_2.gif
Tulane Win

Oct 29
mmg.gif
at Memphis Loss

Nov 5
eea.gif
East Carolina Win

Nov 12
nna.gif
at Navy Loss

Nov 19
50x50w_ucf.gif
at UCF Win

Nov 25
ccj_50x50c_2.jpg
Cincinnati Loss

I'm with G$...Memphis is going to be a win and so is Cincinnati. We should have won the Cincinnati game last year, and the Memphis game was within a score going into the 4th. Our D will be significantly improved. Our offense will be as efficient and powerful as any in the league. To be honest, there are likely only 2 for sure losses on the schedule...Ohio State and Houston. Navy will be the same Navy as always MINUS Reynolds. Both Memphis and Navy are losing experiences QBs...if there were better players on the benches, they would have been playing. I think Memphis is going to struggle its first year under Norvell, I can't say I have ever been sold on his ability to be a head coach.

Reactions: scotty0912
I think we beat Cincy at home because we'll just be better than them and Memphis on the road because they will have a new QB and coach. Navy could be a tossup since they graduated a lot of talent including their option QB.

9 wins - possibly 10. That Fresno game scares me a little, but they weren't a good team last year.

Depending who we play in the bowl game and how our defense looks, u might be able to convince me at 9-4.

I think we beat Cincy at home because we'll just be better than them and Memphis on the road because they will have a new QB and coach. Navy could be a tossup since they graduated a lot of talent including their option QB.

9 wins - possibly 10. That Fresno game scares me a little, but they weren't a good team last year.
Fresno is nowhere near where they were when Pat Hill was the coach.

Love Mike Norvell, he has this team moving crazy fast on defense and offense. Love the talent boost he has coming in

Sep 3
ssc.gif
San Jose St. Win (Good first win and practice for OSU)

Sep 10
oob.gif
at Ohio State Loss (Closer than most thought but still a tough loss on the road to a great team)

Sep 17
nnm_2.gif
N.C. A&T Win (Slow start but easy win)

Sep 24
ffe.gif
at Fresno State Loss (Still beat up from OSU, lack of depth, and tough environment, we loose)

Oct 7
ssh2.gif
SMU Win (We have a week off and bounce back in a strong way)

Oct 15
50x50c.gif
at Houston Loss (We play them all the way to the end but they win in a shootout)

Oct 22
tts_2.gif
Tulane Win (We walk all over them)

Oct 29
mmg.gif
at Memphis Win (Carry last weeks momentum into Memphis and beat them at home)

Nov 5
eea.gif
East Carolina Loss (Their defense proves too much to overcome)

Nov 12
nna.gif
at Navy Loss (The Cold and the pounding attack prove to be too much for us on the road)

Nov 19
50x50w_ucf.gif
at UCF Loss (UCF will be the comeback team of the year, unfortunately at our expense)

Nov 25
ccj_50x50c_2.jpg
Cincinnati Win (With our backs against the wall, we win a tough game on the road to close the year out)

Last edited:
For some reason, I don't remember a thing from the UCF game. I know we won, but can't recall a single highlight or score off the top of my head.

I'll hold my predictions till we see something from our quarterback situation. Could be a great year or a very average mark dependsng on play at the QB position. Im ootimistuc it will get worked out and we'll be on the up side of things. Fingers crossed....

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Thanks for the link. That was a weird game. I remember UCF's 8-0 lead and our kickoff guy chasing down their return man. And of course Scott Frost. Not sure if he has a 2 X 4 up his butt or if he's just always constipated.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I had forgotten most of the details except that we won, Keevan made a ridiculous catch, and that it was a lot closer because of dumb mistakes than it really should have been. What I had forgotten was the kicker running the KR down, and how dominant our defense really was for the majority of the game. UCF had a ton of positive field position drives that ended up in no points or FGs.

Thanks for the link. That was a weird game. I remember UCF's 8-0 lead and our kickoff guy chasing down their return man. And of course Scott Frost. Not sure if he has a 2 X 4 up his butt or if he's just always constipated.
You get that look on your face permanently when you get caught having sex with a teammate's girlfriend, then lock yourself in your bathroom cowering in fear, while the teammate proceeds to knock the crap out of her and push her down the stairs. Scott Frost may be the ultimate worthless human. Who raises children with no sense of code, no honor?

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
That's where I'll miss Redford Jones, tackling. I can't remember another kicker knocking a returner out of the game with a hard, legal tackle.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
That's where I'll miss Redford Jones, tackling. I can't remember another kicker knocking a returner out of the game with a hard, legal tackle.
Matt Payne for BYU knocked a couple of guys out and made the two deep at free safety after some injuries. He was all business.

Matt Payne for BYU knocked a couple of guys out and made the two deep at free safety after some injuries. He was all business.
Wow. That kid's fun to watch. Funniest part of that highlight video is watching the Boise St bench after the first hit on the punt return. They all sort of cringe knowing the PR just got absolutely lit up by the punter!

There's a couple more of his hits out on the web but I could not find the one I was looking for. My favorite is when the stadium speakers cue up the 80s hair metal song "(There's no one home in my) House of Pain [Payne]" as the KR stumbles to the sideline in a groggy stupor.

Great story. Two time all state in soccer and football, but as a middle linebacker, not as a kicker. Set two NCAA kicking records that still stand, including consecutive field goals of 40+ yards. First team All-American. Groza finalist.

I think Redford was only a JR last year so you get at least 1 more year from him. Dalton Parks was the SR of the group.
Well, that's good. The roster on this site has him listed as a senior along with Parks, Lucas, Atkinson, and Evans.

If Monty can develop young Boomer(my bet for starter), anything better than 6-6 would be gravy & I'd be a happy camper. But please no screw jobs like Houston & Navy. TU Football: 1st,last,always! (BTW- R. Jones kicked a 49-yarder in the spring game. His range is expanding)

I don't think we'll be seeing Boomer this year. Right now my gut tells me that Skipper is going to be the guy. (thought hard about using maning the ship) Who knows what the outcome of the summer program will be. Looking forward to it!

If Monty can develop young Boomer(my bet for starter), anything better than 6-6 would be gravy & I'd be a happy camper. But please no screw jobs like Houston & Navy. TU Football: 1st,last,always! (BTW- R. Jones kicked a 49-yarder in the spring game. His range is expanding)
nk we'

I don't think we'll be seeing Boomer this year. Right now my gut tells me that Skipper is going to be the guy. (thought hard about using maning the ship) Who knows what the outcome of the summer program will be. Looking forward to it!

nk we'
Oh crap! I meant Luke Skipper as the starter after performance in the spring game, not Boomer who we know very little about so far.

I don't think 6-6 is going to cut it. I would dare say we might be the prohibitive favorite in the west and if we are not, we won't be far behind Houston/Navy.

Navy's offense reminds me of "Remember the Titans"..."...it's like novocaine, give it some time, it'll work"

I don't think 6-6 is going to cut it. I would dare say we might be the prohibitive favorite in the west and if we are not, we won't be far behind Houston/Navy.

Navy's offense reminds me of "Remember the Titans"..."...it's like novocaine, give it some time, it'll work"
I'd put Memphis above Houston. It's impossible to know what Navy will do because they just keep on chugging. But Memphis has multiple key pieces, including their QB and talented WR back.

Was it reported in Tulsa, the Miami Bowl is moving to Frisco texas? It hosts the AAC, vs the mac or sunbelt.

I'd put Memphis above Houston. It's impossible to know what Navy will do because they just keep on chugging. But Memphis has multiple key pieces, including their QB and talented WR back.
That WR was something. I didn't think the QB was anything special if you can take his first read away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT