ADVERTISEMENT

Early Look at Stats

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Not bad overall. Here are some things that stick out:

Swannegan 12-16 75% from the field......we need to feed him more. Also 8-12 from the line.
Wright 15-28 for 54% not bad here either.

Birt 35% from the three. Curtis 5-10 from three and 52% from the field.
Woodard 41% from the three.

Ray 1-11 from the field and 1-7 from three ??????

Taplin 1-6 from the field.

Rebounds Harrison is leader at 6.2 followed by Woodard at 4.8. There are scant rebounds by our bigs.

Yeah I don't know what's up with Ray.

Brandon's percentages are even better than what I recall.

Wright has def been playing stronger overall so far.

Not bad overall. Here are some things that stick out:

Swannegan 12-16 75% from the field......we need to feed him more. Also 8-12 from the line.
Wright 15-28 for 54% not bad here either.

Birt 35% from the three. Curtis 5-10 from three and 52% from the field.
Woodard 41% from the three.

Ray 1-11 from the field and 1-7 from three ??????

Taplin 1-6 from the field.

Rebounds Harrison is leader at 6.2 followed by Woodard at 4.8. There are scant rebounds by our bigs.

Good info. You forgot to list Harrison and Smith who also have good percentages from the 3. That is what got to me last night. We continued to try to dribble drive to the basket with ridiculous acrobatic attempts to score when Carolina had us outmanned in size and bulk and they were playing a zone. We need to shoot the 3 ball or the pull up to loosen up the defense and allow our athletic wing guys to get legitimate penetration. We did the same thing last year against the big boys. If you remember we got back into last nights game and cut their lead to 4 when we played aggressive defense and hit a couple of outside shots. Than we returned to the drive which was not working.

We shot 50% inside the arc and got to the line 31 times. That game wasn't lost on offense for lack of jacking up 3s. We lost the game on defense.
Another big factor was spotting South Carolina 10 points (12-2) before we could get Brown out of the game and get our chemistry back. We pride ourselves in Senior chemistry with everyone knowing where everyone is on every play and then start a Freshman who doesn't know the offense well and has not made a D-1 basket . I thought the announcers had made a terrible mistake. We never fully recovered. I don't like to second guess Coaching decisions but that has to be the most surprising decision I have seen since Wojcik put a 40 % FT shooter to shoot a tech back in the day.

We shot 50% inside the arc and got to the line 31 times. That game wasn't lost on offense for lack of jacking up 3s. We lost the game on defense.
I agree we were outmatched inside however many of the points came from missed shots and turnovers with easy transition for Carolina. Our defense played fairly well IMO but we were certainly outsized on the inside. Made it easy for hooks and chip in baskets. We are so small inside so when we try to defend we get the fouls as we have to work so hard to keep position. Swanagan certainly got caught in those situations.

Haith lost his mind. Starting Brown was idiotic. Redshirting TK is career suicide. Weirdo.

Haith lost his mind. Starting Brown was idiotic. Redshirting TK is career suicide. Weirdo.

Our best offense against zone defenses for DM's tenure, and last year after the
first few games, was Wright at the free throw line and Smith working the area down
low, with our shooters working the base line and picking for each other.....

I thought for most of the game last night, our offense looked too passive and
awkward with slow passes and too many dribble/drive situations, especially against
a zone manned with such big players......We will see zones until we generate better
shots against them.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT