ADVERTISEMENT

Donnie's Delay

He has “led” his state to over 18,000 deaths.
They also conspired to plant an asymptomatic patient on the USNS Mercy to force the ship to start taking COVID-19 patients after the admiral or captain or whatever his title is had to pull rank on Cuomo/de Blasio & Even said in the press conference “we will not give up this ship,” when referring to not having intentions of accepting COVID patients. They’re dirty, that’s why your nipple pierced dominatrix s&m playing cross dressing governor will not run for President.

By the way, Tessa Majors. Yeah, some leaders they have in New York...

Brutal anti-semitic attacks committed at random that the local & state government does nothing to address because of the race or the attackers... some leadership. It’s not just Jews they’re attacking at random, by the way. It’s happening to Asians & Hispanics & whites, too - those attacks just don’t occur at the rate of the anti-Semitic attacks. Whoops, I just gave away the race of the attackers. Who am I kidding? It’s not like you couldn’t have guessed.

its interesting that trump is getting so much negative press while every other county is experiencing the same issues.
Apparently you haven't paid much attention to British media I guess. Boris hasn't received much good press there. If he didn't make every press conference about him and break his arm patting himself on the back, that might be a starting place.

The press conference's are treated like his campaign rally's. If you look around the world at the leader's that are being treated with respect, those leaders are admitting what they got wrong, and what they are doing to try and correct the issue. Trump never admits he was wrong, and always blames it on others. That is not the best method in the middle of a crisis.

Trump is a great rah, rah speech maker. He sucks at delivering bad news.

Biden will just be a puppet for pelosi, schumer, hrc, bho, aoc

Just sayin, The Trump administration hasn't done the oil industry any favors his trade war was already hitting US and Chinese demand.... now we have this new crisis and the lack of tests is slowing our ability to re-emerge from our hidey holes. Why isn't the country's number 1, 2, and 3 focus right now creating tests? Like... if we were in war and we needed tanks or planes would we be okay with this glacial pace?

Both briefings I've seen increasing testing capacity has been a focus, but there are supply constraints on source materials needed for the tests. We're currently testing 150K a day. It's much easier for a country like Italy to scale to testing 60k people a day than it is for us to scale to 1mm a day (or even 200k per day). I read an article that said "experts say" we need to test 20mm a day to open things back up and that is pure fantasy land. People need to understand our constraints and find solutions with what we have/have the capacity to deliver.

Both briefings I've seen increasing testing capacity has been a focus, but there are supply constraints on source materials needed for the tests. We're currently testing 150K a day. It's much easier for a country like Italy to scale to testing 60k people a day than it is for us to scale to 1mm a day (or even 200k per day). I read an article that said "experts say" we need to test 20mm a day to open things back up and that is pure fantasy land. People need to understand our constraints and find solutions with what we have/have the capacity to deliver.
So, we're testing ~2x what Italy is testing, but our population is 5.4x the size of Italy. We must do better.

So, we're testing ~2x what Italy is testing, but our population is 5.4x the size of Italy. We must do better.

Population size is pretty much irrelevant to our ability to get the supplies necessary to produce enough testing to even hit 200k a day. It's not a simple as "just test more" or "just try harder."

Population size is pretty much irrelevant to our ability to get the supplies necessary to produce enough testing to even hit 200k a day. It's not a simple as "just test more" or "just try harder."
Seems like, in some places, the lack of swabs and reagents is a big hindrance... why the hell that is the case, this late in the game astounds me.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/19/tru...uction-amid-coronavirus-testing-shortage.html

Looks like we're finally increasing swab production, but no word yet on the reagent shortage going on. It's things like this that you would expect the feds to have some foresight on but every time they seem to be reactionary rather than proactive.

Here's a British Health Scientist Speaking About the Countries Having Problems Creating Testing Kits:

Prof Lawrence Young, Professor of Molecular Oncology, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, said:

What are these reagents?

“The reagents are required to: (i) extract RNA from the sample and (ii) run the test itself which requires primers and probes (synthetic oligonucleotides) and two enzymes (reverse transcriptase and DNA polymerase).

Are they in short supply and if so why?

“So the test is complicated, requires many different synthetic components which probably accounts for the shortages given the unprecedented demand.

Is it the reverse transcriptase enzyme or other chemicals, or nothing?

“I think it will be a combination – RNA extraction kits, the primers and probes, the enzymes.

Why is the UK struggling with this where other countries (e.g. Germany) seem not to be?

“More joined up approach. Relationship with the biotech industry, more German virologists producing the diagnostic test in January, the central Robert Koch Institute which is able to nationally coordinate.

Is there anything about scientific research that would explain why this is such a challenge?

“No – just requires better national coordination. Highlights lack of investment in virology over many years.”

Seems to me that the final two are the most important answers.... We (much like Britain and several other Western nations) need better national coordination with the biotech industry and we need it yesterday.

Reactions: Clong83a

Looks like we hit 170k tests yesterday give or take

To even get a jump on this race we are already losing, we'd need to reach 1 or 2m a day, minimum. That 20m per day is a pipe dream that would solve this thing in a month or two, and have the disease under manageable control very quickly. We'd have every person in the US tested in less than three weeks. Not even close to possible.

1-2M a day would just be the start of a long slog to get people back to work over several months and it would be 3 or 4 mo down the line before we had it even close to where it would be at 20m per day, in a months time. It is sounding as if that # per day is several weeks away if it is even possible.(6-8 weeks would be optimistic)

We can't wait a month or two to get there. And Gold is right, we can't rely on people's honest actions to keep the testing as effective as it needs to be. I'm seeing the possibility of mass riots on the horizon, with no abatement of the disease. Trump has primed the pump on rioting, but it would have happened either way IMO. I hope my outlook is a lot bleaker than reality. And Putin is making me nervous as well. He apparently sees this as a chance to take advantage.

Right now 500k/day seems slightly unrealistic. Moving up 20k every day or three is going to hit a supply problem eventually.

Reactions: Clong83a
To even get a jump on this race we are already losing, we'd need to reach 1 or 2m a day, minimum. That 20m per day is a pipe dream that would solve this thing in a month or two, and have the disease under manageable control very quickly. We'd have every person in the US tested in less than three weeks. Not even close to possible.

1-2M a day would just be the start of a long slog to get people back to work over several months and it would be 3 or 4 mo down the line before we had it even close to where it would be at 20m per day, in a months time. It is sounding as if that # per day is several weeks away if it is even possible.(6-8 weeks would be optimistic)

We can't wait a month or two to get there. And Gold is right, we can't rely on people's honest actions to keep the testing as effective as it needs to be. I'm seeing the possibility of mass riots on the horizon, with no abatement of the disease. Trump has primed the pump on rioting, but it would have happened either way IMO. I hope my outlook is a lot bleaker than reality. And Putin is making me nervous as well. He apparently sees this as a chance to take advantage.

Right now 500k/day seems slightly unrealistic. Moving up 20k every day or three is going to hit a supply problem eventually.
Putin has to panicking, I’d think. Russia is essentially a petro state, and oil prices are negative in the US. I know that isn’t the case everywhere, but it has to scare him witless.

That doesn’t mean he won’t try to take advantage. It might even make him more dangerous.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
In Oklahoma the outlook has always been bleaker than reality. We're not getting to 1M tests a day anytime soon. Too many barriers. The good news is the hysteria has been largely unfounded unless you live in the northeast.

In Oklahoma the outlook has always been bleaker than reality. We're not getting to 1M tests a day anytime soon. Too many barriers. The good news is the hysteria has been largely unfounded unless you live in the northeast.
Only because of the precautions that have been taken.

Edit:

Here it is beginning to rage through the Navajo reservation. They are resorting to curfews as long as 52 hours in length at a time trying to curb it. But with so many people living communally, and sharing the same water sources, etc, it is hard to slow down despite the rural nature. About half of NM’s cases are from the rez. A lesson not to ignore the virulence of this thing just because it hasn’t been a huge problem yet in location xyz. Social distancing works, and that is why we are all doing it. NYC never had a chance, what with everyone riding subways and generally living on top of each other, sharing elevators and such and hitting the same “ground floor” button as a thousand other people a day.

Last edited:
Here's a plan.

First Trump needs to stop pretending that China is our friend. That is very much like having a pet cobra. They are not going to change and will bite you if they get a chance.

The other option is not to bring everything back to the US. Obviously, we need to bring back industries that we can. But we also need to have trading partners we can trust. It's easy for me to type this but it will not be quick or easy. Both parties have let China cheat on many things and settled for smiling pictures.

Here's a plan.

First Trump needs to stop pretending that China is our friend. That is very much like having a pet cobra. They are not going to change and will bite you if they get a chance.

The other option is not to bring everything back to the US. Obviously, we need to bring back industries that we can. But we also need to have trading partners we can trust. It's easy for me to type this but it will not be quick or easy. Both parties have let China cheat on many things and settled for smiling pictures.
Sounds like an argument for the trans-Pacific Partnership. I am all for it. Trump scuttled it, FWIW.

Reactions: ExNav75
Trump has put a stop to immigration due to the virus.

If i am restricted to stay home, why the hell does someone from another country think not?

Reactions: maverickfp
First hand example of what hospital execs face today to protect their staff reported in New England Journal of Medicine.

As a chief physician executive, I rarely get involved in my health system’s supply-chain activities. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed that. Protecting our caregivers is essential so that these talented professionals can safely provide compassionate care to our patients. Yet we continue to be stymied by a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), and the cavalry does not appear to be coming.

Our supply-chain group has worked around the clock to secure gowns, gloves, face masks, goggles, face shields, and N95 respirators. These employees have adapted to a new normal, exploring every lead, no matter how unusual. Deals, some bizarre and convoluted, and many involving large sums of money, have dissolved at the last minute when we were outbid or outmuscled, sometimes by the federal government. Then we got lucky, but getting the supplies was not easy.

A lead came from an acquaintance of a friend of a team member. After several hours of vetting, we grew confident of the broker’s professional pedigree and the potential to secure a large shipment of three-ply face masks and N95 respirators. The latter were KN95 respirators, N95s that were made in China. We received samples to confirm that they could be successfully fit-tested. Despite having cleared this hurdle, we remained concerned that the samples might not be representative of the bulk of the products that we would be buying. Having acquired the requisite funds — more than five times the amount we would normally pay for a similar shipment, but still less than what was being requested by other brokers — we set the plan in motion. Three members of the supply-chain team and a fit tester were flown to a small airport near an industrial warehouse in the mid-Atlantic region. I arrived by car to make the final call on whether to execute the deal. Two semi-trailer trucks, cleverly marked as food-service vehicles, met us at the warehouse. When fully loaded, the trucks would take two distinct routes back to Massachusetts to minimize the chances that their contents would be detained or redirected.

Hours before our planned departure, we were told to expect only a quarter of our original order. We went anyway, since we desperately needed any supplies we could get. Upon arrival, we were jubilant to see pallets of KN95 respirators and face masks being unloaded. We opened several boxes, examined their contents, and hoped that this random sample would be representative of the entire shipment. Before we could send the funds by wire transfer, two Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrived, showed their badges, and started questioning me. No, this shipment was not headed for resale or the black market. The agents checked my credentials, and I tried to convince them that the shipment of PPE was bound for hospitals. After receiving my assurances and hearing about our health system’s urgent needs, the agents let the boxes of equipment be released and loaded into the trucks. But I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure. I remained nervous and worried on the long drive back, feelings that did not abate until midnight, when I received the call that the PPE shipment was secured at our warehouse.

This experience might have made for an entertaining tale at a cocktail party, had the success of our mission not been so critical. Did I foresee, as a health-system leader working in a rich, highly developed country with state-of-the-art science and technology and incredible talent, that my organization would ever be faced with such a set of circumstances? Of course not. Yet when encountering the severe constraints that attend this pandemic, we must leave no stone unturned to give our health care teams and our patients a fighting chance. This is the unfortunate reality we face in the time of Covid-19.

Andrew W. Artenstein, M.D.
Baystate Health, Springfield, MA

First hand example of what hospital execs face today to protect their staff reported in New England Journal of Medicine.

As a chief physician executive, I rarely get involved in my health system’s supply-chain activities. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed that. Protecting our caregivers is essential so that these talented professionals can safely provide compassionate care to our patients. Yet we continue to be stymied by a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), and the cavalry does not appear to be coming.

Our supply-chain group has worked around the clock to secure gowns, gloves, face masks, goggles, face shields, and N95 respirators. These employees have adapted to a new normal, exploring every lead, no matter how unusual. Deals, some bizarre and convoluted, and many involving large sums of money, have dissolved at the last minute when we were outbid or outmuscled, sometimes by the federal government. Then we got lucky, but getting the supplies was not easy.

A lead came from an acquaintance of a friend of a team member. After several hours of vetting, we grew confident of the broker’s professional pedigree and the potential to secure a large shipment of three-ply face masks and N95 respirators. The latter were KN95 respirators, N95s that were made in China. We received samples to confirm that they could be successfully fit-tested. Despite having cleared this hurdle, we remained concerned that the samples might not be representative of the bulk of the products that we would be buying. Having acquired the requisite funds — more than five times the amount we would normally pay for a similar shipment, but still less than what was being requested by other brokers — we set the plan in motion. Three members of the supply-chain team and a fit tester were flown to a small airport near an industrial warehouse in the mid-Atlantic region. I arrived by car to make the final call on whether to execute the deal. Two semi-trailer trucks, cleverly marked as food-service vehicles, met us at the warehouse. When fully loaded, the trucks would take two distinct routes back to Massachusetts to minimize the chances that their contents would be detained or redirected.

Hours before our planned departure, we were told to expect only a quarter of our original order. We went anyway, since we desperately needed any supplies we could get. Upon arrival, we were jubilant to see pallets of KN95 respirators and face masks being unloaded. We opened several boxes, examined their contents, and hoped that this random sample would be representative of the entire shipment. Before we could send the funds by wire transfer, two Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrived, showed their badges, and started questioning me. No, this shipment was not headed for resale or the black market. The agents checked my credentials, and I tried to convince them that the shipment of PPE was bound for hospitals. After receiving my assurances and hearing about our health system’s urgent needs, the agents let the boxes of equipment be released and loaded into the trucks. But I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure. I remained nervous and worried on the long drive back, feelings that did not abate until midnight, when I received the call that the PPE shipment was secured at our warehouse.

This experience might have made for an entertaining tale at a cocktail party, had the success of our mission not been so critical. Did I foresee, as a health-system leader working in a rich, highly developed country with state-of-the-art science and technology and incredible talent, that my organization would ever be faced with such a set of circumstances? Of course not. Yet when encountering the severe constraints that attend this pandemic, we must leave no stone unturned to give our health care teams and our patients a fighting chance. This is the unfortunate reality we face in the time of Covid-19.

Andrew W. Artenstein, M.D.
Baystate Health, Springfield, MA
Did they date this story at all? I'd like to know how early it was in the pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT