ADVERTISEMENT

G5 realignment, playoffs

Even if you don't consider bar and hotel patronage, the ticket price + concessions for even half those attendees(6k) is probably gonna be around 400,000. And it's going to be Tulsan's spending money when they would stay in for the evening is more taxes. So it is like us adding another high dollar game with high attendance to our schedule. Instead of it taking place in Stillwater or Norman.
I was alluding to the statement that the game is a windfall for the City. There’s no doubt the game brings results in a revenue surge for TU. Other than increased tax revenue on ticket sales, I don’t see a large windfall for the City compared to other games as the extra attendees tend to be locals.

I was alluding to the statement that the game is a windfall for the City. There’s no doubt the game brings results in a revenue surge for TU. Other than increased tax revenue on ticket sales, I don’t see a large windfall for the City compared to other games as the extra attendees tend to be locals.
I left out something that was very important. SMH at myself. It was in my head, but not on the page.

edited:

Even if you don't consider bar and hotel patronage, the ticket price + concessions for even half those extra attendees(6k) that will likely be out of towners, is probably gonna be around 400,000. As for the rest of the attendees, it's going to be Tulsan's spending money when they would stay in for the evening. That's more taxes, even if it's out of their pocket. So it is like us adding another high dollar game with high attendance to our schedule. Instead of it taking place in Stillwater or Norman.

This is why your opponents matter. Casual joe sports fan who kinda likes ou football will come watch TU play a “name” opponent. He will likely not come watch a game vs directional satellite u (UNC Charlotte, Texas San Antonio, Florida Atlantic, etc)… we’ve effed around too long and how those scrubs are our peers. We better pray Memphis and Tulane don’t bolt…

But on the economic front. Imagine what it would do for the city of Tulsa if TU played legit opponents regularly. Obviously this is liekly to never happen, but the impact of fans traveling to Tulsa from regional schools like TCU, Baylor, ku, k state, Texas tech, and many others would fill hotels, eat at restaurants, and spend money in Tulsa. It seems like a real miss on the city of Tulsa’s part not to be pushing for TU to be included on the big stage.

But until the “lil ol TU” narrative stops getting pushed by local media, we can’t even begin to get the ball rolling on any of this.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
This is why your opponents matter. Casual joe sports fan who kinda likes ou football will come watch TU play a “name” opponent. He will likely not come watch a game vs directional satellite u (UNC Charlotte, Texas San Antonio, Florida Atlantic, etc)… we’ve effed around too long and how those scrubs are our peers. We better pray Memphis and Tulane don’t bolt…

But on the economic front. Imagine what it would do for the city of Tulsa if TU played legit opponents regularly. Obviously this is liekly to never happen, but the impact of fans traveling to Tulsa from regional schools like TCU, Baylor, ku, k state, Texas tech, and many others would fill hotels, eat at restaurants, and spend money in Tulsa. It seems like a real miss on the city of Tulsa’s part not to be pushing for TU to be included on the big stage.

But until the “lil ol TU” narrative stops getting pushed by local media, we can’t even begin to get the ball rolling on any of this.
day trip opponents are what we need: ku, ksu Baylor, tcu, ark, ...

The top tier ACC teams will go to the Big10 and SEC. Second tier to the Big12. The question is will the third tier teams hold together and add AAC teams or fold and migrate to the AAC or other conferences?
I think the ACC at that point will take Memphis and Tulane from us and Boise from the MWC.

local opponents attract a good crowds. ou, osu, ku. ksu, ark, tt, Baylor, tcu, Houston, ...

It’s been a long time, but we used to have athletic directors that could schedule games with these teams quite often.

I wonder if the new guy has connections to pull in a few of these again. We’ve got an opening for a home game in 2025, but it will likely be filled with another FCS opponent.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT