ADVERTISEMENT

Does Monty Deserve A Extension

No.

1 season does not earn you that unless his previous seasons have been decent and by decent we are talking 6 to 7 wins a season. You pat him on the back and say do it again next season and we will talk. We had a good season but he still showed how crappy of a coach he is.
Let's face it, without the stellar defense we had all season those come back games are all losses. We just saw the best defense Tulsa has ever had.

Last edited:
Deserve? No. Get one? Yes.

For some reason, the TU Admin is ok with winning 6/7 games once every 4-5 years and sucking the other years (as if a 7 win season is just spectacular) "because we're just Tulsa"; which is why we're not going to make the cut if they split D1 into separate leagues. None of the decision-makers gives a crap about athletics performing at a high level.

Last year we were one play away on almost every game that would make us 9-3. Only 3 games we were out of and I could argue that we were not really “out” of the Michigan state game.

next year we have Ohio state and Oklahoma state. We should have brin starting and off what I have seen from him I like what I see.

now do I think he deserves one? Not sure. Does he get one if not offered another job? Yes.
Hopefully if we lose him we don’t lose brin.

Last year we were one play away on almost every game that would make us 9-3. Only 3 games we were out of and I could argue that we were not really “out” of the Michigan state game.

next year we have Ohio state and Oklahoma state. We should have brin starting and off what I have seen from him I like what I see.

now do I think he deserves one? Not sure. Does he get one if not offered another job? Yes.
Hopefully if we lose him we don’t lose brin.
When Davis Brin has an off game next year who will be the next champion ?

Does he deserve one? No.

Does he get one? Yes.
Reasons:
Money.
Recruits.
That warm one night stand afterglow.

It really depends on Dixon's long term status though. If he isnt a placeholder then the burner may already be lit.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Agree with Noble. He does not deserve one but will get a two year extension (3 years remaining) because they can’t fire him after a CG and 6-2 record. They also can’t not extend because of recruiting impact. Other teams would say lame duck with only 1 season remaining on contract. Hopefully the extension reduces the buyout after next year.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
A non-guaranteed extension would be ok. Isn't that what they did with Haith?

Reactions: TU 1978
$$ is another issue that is hard to manage right now.

At least Rick Dickson is around, knows college football, and will have some influence in decisions.

Reactions: TU 1978
$$ is another issue that is hard to manage right now.

At least Rick Dickson is around, knows college football, and will have some influence in decisions.

Like i say.. it depends on Dixons status... if he is just there to water the plants then nothing really happens, but if he is given power to steer the ship... he will already have a short list going..

Like i say.. it depends on Dixons status... if he is just there to water the plants then nothing really happens, but if he is given power to steer the ship... he will already have a short list going..
Who else would they rely on for input really? He will by necessity have some influence.

another 2 years added. TU may get lucky and a struggling low-end P-6 may want to hire Monty if TU wins the bowl game. Otherwise, not a good look for recruiting. On the other hand, I don't really understand why TU didn't recruit more than 6 players this year. I know seniors can come back, but...

Who else would they rely on for input really? He will by necessity have some influence.
He will only have the influence the trustees give him...
And we as yet dont have a full time president (unless i missed Levitts coronation)

Reactions: HuffyCane
That might very well be a kid named Braylon Braxton. A new signee who had a stellar HS career & can throw it & run it. I've got a feeling, however, that Brin won't have too many bad games once he gets to be the starter.

We have seen what Monty does to good QBs once they begin to start. It is the second most consistent thing he does.

This is a very talented team and the players are Monty's players. Whatever criticisms that can be directed at Monty, recruiting is not one of them. Tulsa played in the conference championship game on national TV, will be going to a bowl, and has been a national "feel good' story all season long. All this will help Monty to bring in another strong recruiting class.

Athletic Directors generally have a season ending chat/review with each sport's coach. Regarding real and perceived coaching problems or issues, AD Dickson should hash it out with Monty in a private meeting. This is what I perceive as a "solution" to legitimate questions raised by fans.

Publicly, TU decision makers should support Monty to allow TU to build upon this very fine year of accomplishment. Changing coaches or publicly criticizing Monty will disrupt TU's football success. Who knows? Tulsa could hire another Ken Burns! I would rather ride the horse (Monty) I know then hire a new coach which is always, always a gamble.

Tulsa, without question, is going to contend for the AAC Football Championship in 2021. Looking at the roster, there is a lot of returning talent.

This is a very talented team and the players are Monty's players. Whatever criticisms that can be directed at Monty, recruiting is not one of them. Tulsa played in the conference championship game on national TV, will be going to a bowl, and has been a national "feel good' story all season long. All this will help Monty to bring in another strong recruiting class.

Athletic Directors generally have a season ending chat/review with each sport's coach. Regarding real and perceived coaching problems or issues, AD Dickson should hash it out with Monty in a private meeting. This is what I perceive as a "solution" to legitimate questions raised by fans.

Publicly, TU decision makers should support Monty to allow TU to build upon this very fine year of accomplishment. Changing coaches or publicly criticizing Monty will disrupt TU's football success. Who knows? Tulsa could hire another Ken Burns! I would rather ride the horse (Monty) I know then hire a new coach which is always, always a gamble.

Tulsa, without question, is going to contend for the AAC Football Championship in 2021. Looking at the roster, there is a lot of returning talent.

So you want losing seasons three of four years because we might have losing seasons in four of four years?

I have a clear track record on what I think, one almost as clear as Monty's coaching record.

He's a good man, he does not deserve an extension as a coach. I also know his deal is such that to be fair and give him the opportunity he has earned in a very unusual season something has to be done.

After the silly season is over, if we haven't been lucky enough (I'm looking at you Vandy, with heavy disappointment) to have him hired away then a status quo extension for a year is fine for second year it better reduce the final buy out (both ways). I also think it's important we make him whole from the cut he took, both parties should act in good faith.

I would also make him hire an OC even if he makes the play calls still. Let's at least push him in the direction that is best for Tulsa.

Meanwhile I will continue to hunt for openings and message boards at said schools to toss his hat in the ring.

Ken Burns would go 2-9 just like Monty and Keith Burns, but we would have an Emmy award winning and groundbreaking documentary made about the season Im sure. Lots of slow panning then holding on old pictures of a young Phillip Montgomery picking up Art Briles’ dry cleaning, etc.

Montgomery didn’t work with us when he could. That tells me we won’t work with him when we can. And that day is coming soon ...

We seem to have good luck in the first 2 yrs of a coach's tenure..

I'd take a chance on a change for a shot at the ring..

Ken Burns would go 2-9 just like Monty and Keith Burns, but we would have an Emmy award winning and groundbreaking documentary made about the season Im sure. Lots of slow panning then holding on old pictures of a young Phillip Montgomery picking up Art Briles’ dry cleaning, etc.

Montgomery didn’t work with us when he could. That tells me we won’t work with him when we can. And that day is coming soon ...

Sometimes it's just business. TU should be upstanding because reputation matters, but we should also be firm, if we feel it is an impasse then we should move on. I don't want us to bend over backwards for him, or honestly bend at all.

The situation is known and it may just be one that is not workable for us or him.

He’s probably earned another season. These are his guys and if we get rid of him, there’s a good chance they walk. Gillespie would probably take a few good kids with him wherever he goes. We would also lose some recruits. It’s probably a smarter idea to let those things happen when we don’t have a team that’s shaping up to be a championship contender. I would say next season could be championship or bust for Monty.

i like the culture both off and on the field. Represents the university in a very positive fashion. Many of the kids were lightly recruited and worked hard both on the field and in the class room which is a testimony to our coaches. Budget constraints, no indoor practice facility, low pay pool for assistant coaches (didn't Monty have to take a cut or defer comp?) all make this season more special.
Until the alumni and supporter base steps up with financial support, he will continue to have to do more with less and will keep many coaches from showing interest.
I hope we keep him!

i like the culture both off and on the field. Represents the university in a very positive fashion. Many of the kids were lightly recruited and worked hard both on the field and in the class room which is a testimony to our coaches. Budget constraints, no indoor practice facility, low pay pool for assistant coaches (didn't Monty have to take a cut or defer comp?) all make this season more special.
Until the alumni and supporter base steps up with financial support, he will continue to have to do more with less and will keep many coaches from showing interest.
I hope we keep him!
There is a nucleus of posters who act like TU is a top 25 job when the football budget is probably at the conference bottom.
It’s Amazing that TU gets good results with such lackluster support from it’s administration .

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and 4tu2
I hope we keep him!
He took one cut but told us to jump in the river when other changes were proposed despite guaranteed money long term is the story I got. Others with more details feel free to chime in.

He took one cut but told us to jump in the river when other changes were proposed despite guaranteed money long term is the story I got. Others with more details feel free to chime in.
So we offered to extend him at a lower rate and he said no? Who cares?

There is a nucleus of posters who act like TU is a top 25 job when the football budget is probably at the conference bottom.
It’s Amazing that TU gets good results with such lackluster support from it’s administration .

We pay for wins, we support wins. Which is why Bill Self had a hell of an offer when he left for Illinois and why even with objections we paid a good chunk for Graham.

This is the man's second winning season, the first was with almost zero Monty recruits, this one comes in what is the strangest football season in living memory. This one comes not based on his offense but on the defense and recruiting of a coach I am pretty sure wouldn't call an end around sweep from our own two yard line.

We continually have one of the most penalized teams in the nation, average two turnovers a game or more, and routinely struggle with just getting plays in before a delay of game. His game situation and clock management has not improved and his offenses have hardly been good since Evan's graduated.

Our talent is perhaps its highest since Graham as we put a few in the NFL last year and have a few on the team this year. Yet his record in single score games is atrocious even with a gifted one this year.

I judge the man against himself. In coaching he is wanting, he is stubborn and so will not change as multiple years have proven.

As a person he seems an upstanding man, with a good heart, who was respectful with people every time I have seen him interacting with the public or the few times I have personally encountered him.

We pay for a coach though, we require a good man to consider the application, that's a minimum requirement. But we pay for wins.

Reactions: TU Pilot
So we offered to extend him at a lower rate and he said no? Who cares?
Im not privy to the exact details and wouldn’t discuss them if I was, but the gist of the information I was given, which is from sources on campus but not always reliable, is that we had some pretty dramatic cash shortfalls heading into the fall last year and we asked about restructuring some salary payments to be able to make ends meet elsewhere in the department. I guess basically asking him to agree to be paid slightly more later with interest to free up short term cash and he said no. Haith agreed to do it and when told that Haith agreed he still said no. I like to be exactly right when I post stuff on here so if this is wrong, folks jump in because I don’t know the full story or if even that is the accurate picture. People jawbone inside the TU bubble and it’s not always the real story.

I totally agree and I give my two mites each year.

But we are probably third or fourth from the bottom, depending on how you do the numbers, and whether you just look at football.

Which is what really gives the conference and the P5s the red arse. It’s not just that we are tiny and don’t travel well and we are in a lower TV ratings bracket. It’s that we win on a shoestring. It’s hard to be the AD at Memphis abd tell your Board you need $100 million in two years to be competitive when TU doesn’t have the minimum facilities and tons of recruiting disadvantages but still puts 50 points on you in a blow out. That makes you look like the very definition of a loser.

Last edited:
I dont think people here are complaining about things that he has no control over like budget issues. And i think most people are happy with recruiting that's happened. People are complaining about his piss poor game management and clock management. It's an every game issue that has cost us plenty of games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT