ADVERTISEMENT

Discovered a new way to quote posts?

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
obvious. But

Hey guys, I think I just discovered a nifty trick.

Of course everybody will go on about how they figured that out along time ago, and I'll feel like an idiot...

I did this on another quote, on another board, but as an example I'll use 'obvious. But'

I selected 'obvious. But' I did not copy it, just selected. I left it selected, and then clicked on the [ "Quote ] button, and then clicked on [ " Insert quotes... ] in the new 'write your reply' section of a new post, then on the [ "Quote Messages ] to actually quote it. It only quoted 'obvious. But' not the entire post. \/

@Chris Harmon
I mean its obvious. But ok.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I think I just discovered a nifty trick.

Of course everybody will go on about how they figured that out along time ago, and I'll feel like an idiot...

I did this on another quote, on another board, but as an example I'll use 'obvious. But'

I selected 'obvious. But' I did not copy it, just selected. I left it selected, and then clicked on the [ "Quote ] button, and then clicked on [ "Quote Messages ] It only quoted 'obvious. But' not the entire post. \/
I edited this thing to show it doesn't just work at the beginning or end of a post, but also in the middle. So if you saw it incorrectly with a comma, or the quotes not matching up due to slow editing, just ignore that. It works beginning, middle, and end of a post.

Oops, my instructions were incomplete, I left out the [ " Insert quotes... ] click. Reread it above. It is a pretty nifty short cut to quoting the middle, beginning, or end of a post, instead of the whole thing, and having to edit it by eliminating the beginning and end of a quote manually.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I just did a practice on your post. Very helpful. Thanks
Thanks, I happened on it almost by accident. It sounds semi complicated from the instructions, but it's rather simple when actually doing it. I enjoyed finding new editing methods within the new design of the website months after we got it. The designers of the remake of this site are rather excellent.

Addition to the process:

It works on several posts within the same thread, and on posts across different threads.

You just have to [select] and then [ "quote ] in that order, for each post that you want to pull something from, before you { " Insert quotes ].

You can't select from several posts, and then quote each one.

It has to be select, quote, select, quote...

insert quote.

Yes, you can also just hit "Reply" that pops up after you highlight the portion you want to quote, and it will automatically enter it into the reply box at the bottom of the page.
Thanks, that is equally easy for one quote. Cool to know.

For doing the same thing with multiple quotes in one thread or even across threads, the method I discovered is much easier. You don't have to continue to go down and Insert quotes... with every quote you use.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT