ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive coordinator

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Alex Grinch spent a short stint at ohio state with Wilson. Recruited the state of oklahoma for about three years while at OU and is now available.

Could he possibly help recruit through the transfer portal on day 1?

Thoughts?

Might be a decent short term hire. We could use the help on defense and recruiting. But no way he's here longer than 2 years, most likely just 1. And that's if both parties are interested.

At this point I'm pretty much open to anything that has even the slightest possibility of helping though. Would add to our well known coaches on staff, so we'd have that going for us. Which would be nice.

My main issue with that would be do we want to hire someone who couldn’t get it done with alot more resources then he will have here ?

We just picked up a BIG TIME defensive back commit. But yea let's fire all the coaches before they get any of their players in here.

We just picked up a BIG TIME defensive back commit. But yea let's fire all the coaches before they get any of their players in here.
I wouldn't say BIG TIME but I do agree with people going crazy. Let the coach bring in players that fit to his scheme first. If he still cant pull it off then you can go crazy. This is Wilson's first year. I hoped for more but I also know what he was left with and it wasn't much.

Reactions: TUMU
I wouldn't say BIG TIME but I do agree with people going crazy. Let the coach bring in players that fit to his scheme first. If he still cant pull it off then you can go crazy. This is Wilson's first year. I hoped for more but I also know what he was left with and it wasn't much.
The players he's bringing in has to be our best recruiting class on paper possibly ever. Am I wrong in saying that?

Reactions: TU_BLA
We have a position coach "filling in" who would you recommend firing? I don't think anyone needs to be fired.

Reactions: TUMU
The players he's bringing in has to be our best recruiting class on paper possibly ever. Am I wrong in saying that?
I don't disagree. Im not with those asking for his firing. I think the recruits are much better that what we have had in the past. I also think he was left with not much to work with. BIG TIME recruit to me means he is a 4star or has offers from ton of great schools. His best offer is probably Pitt maybe Indiana. Then its FAU, Florida A&M and Abilene Christian.

Reactions: I.I.
I don't disagree. Im not with those asking for his firing. I think the recruits are much better that what we have had in the past. I also think he was left with not much to work with. BIG TIME recruit to me means he is a 4star or has offers from ton of great schools. His best offer is probably Pitt maybe Indiana. Then its FAU, Florida A&M and Abilene Christian.
Cincy Utah, Maryland

Let’s add Oregon State and OU
He wasn't offered from OU - 247 and Rivals show no offer - Rivals shows an offer on the timeline but that was just a second visit. Below where the offers are listed it states OU - None.

Im not sure why you are pushing this so hard though. I said he is a solid get but he isnt some BIG TIME this will put us on the map type get.

It is a very nice high level recruit at a position where we really needed a high level recruit.

I haven't been on here for a long time compared to some others.

But in the 16+ years on this board, this is the absolute worst first announcement of a commitment I've ever seen.

Think about your statements and how they reflect to commitments and other recruits.

Last edited:
It is a very nice high level recruit at a position where we really needed a high level recruit.

I haven't been on here for a long time compared to some others.

But in the 16+ years on this board, this is the absolute worst first announcement of a recruit I've ever seen.

Think about your statements and how they reflect to commitments and other recruits.
Exactly. Everyone should be freaking jacked we are upgrading at a much needed position

OU had no defense with Grinch!

USC had no defense with Grinch!

USC fired Grinch because his defense sucked!

Give our coaches an opportunity to bring in their players instead of judging them for trying to utilize Monty's left over D-2 and D-3 players.

He wasn't offered from OU - 247 and Rivals show no offer - Rivals shows an offer on the timeline but that was just a second visit. Below where the offers are listed it states OU - None.

Im not sure why you are pushing this so hard though. I said he is a solid get but he isnt some BIG TIME this will put us on the map type get.
Texas football.com and pull his offers. Great catch. Needs to fill out but expecting good things from him. We are a development program and he has a chance to be a good one.

OU had no defense with Grinch!

USC had no defense with Grinch!

USC fired Grinch because his defense sucked!

Give our coaches an opportunity to bring in their players instead of judging them for trying to utilize Monty's left over D-2 and D-3 players.
Amen.

We are on track to have the 2nd highest rated class in the AAC behind UAB I believe. If it's not UAB, it's Tulane. I think at the end of the day this class is, at least on paper, going to surpass Graham's best class in terms of ***. And as we all know, *** mean diddly squat if you can't get the player developed and producing on the field. I think this staff can get them developed. What we're seeing right now with the abysmal results is more a reflection on the players left from Monty's regime and the bad habits they picked up. And remember, we are still running QBs out there with relatively little game experience and it shows. For all of the hype Monty came in with about being the QB guy all because he had RG3 at Baylor, he did nothing with our QBs at Tulsa. I can't say a single one of them left here better than they were when they arrived. Dane Evans had a huge year in 2016 but I think that was more a product of him having a ton of talent surrounded by a TON of TALENT, and being in a system that fit his strengths. Imagine if Monty had let him loose his junior year and not just the senior year? Think of all the QBs Monty destroyed. President, Boomer, Skipper, Brin, Smith, and now likely we can add Braxton to that list.

IMO, FWIW, next year we are going to have a ton of underclassmen playing at the WR and DB spots from the guys Wilson has brought in. I don't know what Wilson will do at QB. And it might not matter if we can't get some good OL in who are ready to play. Our OL play the last 2 years has been downright dreadful and is largely responsible for the offense floundering. Wilson gets a pass until his guys are in there...and then again, we've seen relatively few OL recruits and commits.

We are on track to have the 2nd highest rated class in the AAC behind UAB I believe. If it's not UAB, it's Tulane. I think at the end of the day this class is, at least on paper, going to surpass Graham's best class in terms of ***. And as we all know, *** mean diddly squat if you can't get the player developed and producing on the field. I think this staff can get them developed. What we're seeing right now with the abysmal results is more a reflection on the players left from Monty's regime and the bad habits they picked up. And remember, we are still running QBs out there with relatively little game experience and it shows. For all of the hype Monty came in with about being the QB guy all because he had RG3 at Baylor, he did nothing with our QBs at Tulsa. I can't say a single one of them left here better than they were when they arrived. Dane Evans had a huge year in 2016 but I think that was more a product of him having a ton of talent surrounded by a TON of TALENT, and being in a system that fit his strengths. Imagine if Monty had let him loose his junior year and not just the senior year? Think of all the QBs Monty destroyed. President, Boomer, Skipper, Brin, Smith, and now likely we can add Braxton to that list.

IMO, FWIW, next year we are going to have a ton of underclassmen playing at the WR and DB spots from the guys Wilson has brought in. I don't know what Wilson will do at QB. And it might not matter if we can't get some good OL in who are ready to play. Our OL play the last 2 years has been downright dreadful and is largely responsible for the offense floundering. Wilson gets a pass until his guys are in there...and then again, we've seen relatively few OL recruits and commits.
My guess is we will hit the portal pretty hard for OL

Reactions: TU1NNJ
My guess is we will hit the portal pretty hard for OL
I agree but so will every other FBS school. That and DL. Why? Because it is usually a 2-3 year development project before OL (and DL for that matter) are truly ready to play FBS football after HS. Sure you find those rare gems who can come in and play immediately but it's usually at least 2 years before they're ready.

On a normal year TU usually has around 25 schollies to offer. I think this year you can add about 20+ schollies to that list as there will be some house cleaning. Give this staff a chance and I believe we will be happy with the results.

On a normal year TU usually has around 25 schollies to offer. I think this year you can add about 20+ schollies to that list as there will be some house cleaning. Give this staff a chance and I believe we will be happy with the results.
Exactly. People for some reason are ignoring just how bad our roster was left to this new staff.

Exactly. People for some reason are ignoring just how bad our roster was left to this new staff.
People are also remembering that coaches like Kragthorpe and even Montgomery inherited messes just as bad and were successful their first year. Even Keith Burns won 5 games his first season with fans chanting "we are back" in the stands and we all know how that eventually turned out. We just expected a little more this year.

People are also remembering that coaches like Kragthorpe and even Montgomery inherited messes just as bad and were successful their first year. Even Keith Burns won 5 games his first season with fans chanting "we are back" in the stands and we all know how that eventually turned out. We just expected a little more this year.
Let's look at the QBs on those teams.....

Montgomery had multiple seasons of 2 and 3 wins...so let's leave him out. goodness

Heff - I recall you expecting this to go better at one point as well:

I don’t expect the new football coach to get the one year free pass that this basketball guy got.

He should be able to take the hand he’s dealt and knock off the CUSA call-ups we’ve got on the schedule. If not, we’ve got real problems.

agreed. Football has enough returning talent to win solidly next season.

We can go back and forth about inheriting other coach's players, and first year performance. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of these arguments.

But getting boatraced by SMU is completely unacceptable at any time, regardless of any other variables.
I think we had our top 4 defensive backs out that game, which isn't being talked about enough.

I think that everyone here expected more than what we've got so far. I'll still be out there next Saturday pulling for the home team.
I don't think people expected our starting QB to regress so badly...but there's where my opinion changed. I thought we had more skill weapons returning...and we did not.

I don't think people expected our starting QB to regress so badly...but there's where my opinion changed. I thought we had more skill weapons returning...and we did not.
Yes, this sure doesn't look like the same guy that won the last 2 games for us last year and threw the ball like a bullet. But I'm also concerned that the coach keeps running him out there expecting different results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT