ADVERTISEMENT

D-Fence

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
We always seem to talk about who will put the ball in the hole this coming season but who do you think will step up to be the number 1 defensive option with this new team. Shaq was obviously our best defensive player last year, both out on the floor and swooping in for blocks at the rim. Birt did a good job on defense once he got adjusted and I expect him to improve even more this season. I also think TK could be a rim protector with his jumping ability. Has anyone who has seen practice or the scrimmage seen anyone with any good defensive skills displayed?

That's the big question I think. I'm concerned about our perimeter defense until I see otherwise. Other than Shaq, it wasn't great last year. And Shaq and Juice made up a lot with their rebounds or steals.

I couldn't tell much from the scrimmage, other than that TK had improved a lot.

The good news is I'm not so worried about scoring.

I'm hoping Taplin turns a corner this year.

I haven't seen any practices but agree with you that Edogi should be a defensive force inside. Haith says we will be stronger inside with Edogi, Igbanu, Etou and Magnay.

Birt did defend well once he became a starter. It's always tough for frosh to come in as good defenders. Juco's are hit and miss depending on the program they played in. However, I do think Wheeler and Henderson will be solid defenders, due to their experience and athleticism.

Artison can be a solid defender, with his length. I expect to see him block or alter a number of shots. Magnay, although a frosh, comes in with good credentials as a defensive player.

I do think we have the size and athleticism to be a good defensive team. However, with so many young and inexperienced players to the speed of Division 1 basketball, it will take some time for us to gain team chemistry and to learn each teammates tendencies. I think by the midway point of our schedule, we could be a good defensive team.

It will help that Etou and Henderson have D1 experience and Artison went up against D1 talent at Fresno and in the Seattle area league where he participated against college and pro players.

Reactions: bluegold70
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT