ADVERTISEMENT

Coach and Mad Dog

20 years is cutting it way short. I am 40 almost 41 and to can remember coach pacing behind the basket when I was a preteen. Mad dog was always around the area. I went to Rogers high and knew him from back in the day. Both great guys..

I know for a fact that Mad Dog and Coach were in the Civic Center in 1985.

I remember thinking that Coach was imitating J.D. Barnett!

I saw Coach at Target last month and he was in normal casual clothes. So it makes it even more endearing that he specifically dresses up for bball games.

My first year at TU was '92-'93 (Probation year) and Coach was definitely at all the games. We used to play a game called "Where's ???" and there were several people in the crowd who were at every game that we always looked for. Most points won, loser bought the case. Coach was one but he was always the easy one to find. There was a guy who was the spitting image of Rodney Dangerfield, another kid who was a classmate of ours, etc.

I honestly don't remember Mad Dog being at games before Shea Seals arrived in '93. He used to sit near the student section in the old convention center and bark at the opposing teams FT shooters...it would be hysterical if we could get the student section now to do that...

Mad Dog was definitely near the student section barking at the other team in the mid 80's. I remember looking over and wondering who that guy was. Don't think he had a nickname yet.

The rumor is that he wanted $1000.00 to do the story but he settled for free HOT DOGS for the rest of the season!

He did ask if they had any free play, though. And tried to sell them flowers and plush animals at Nighttrips later that night.

Anyone remember the elder gentlemen at the Convention Center who would yell, "Lets go TULSA". I seem to remember him being a fixture at every game during the J.D. and Tubby years, and possible the Nolan years. I think he sat above the concourse, maybe catty-croner from the visting bench and baseline.

He never disappointed, if it got too quiet, or the Cane were losing, you could count on his signature yell.

TX
This post was edited on 2/4 12:50 PM by texcane1982

I was at the midnight Mass at the Cathedral a couple of years ago and there was Coach. Naturally, I started looking for Mad Dog too but to no avail. Just as well. All that barking would have been distracting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT