ADVERTISEMENT

Clint Dempsey retires

Many will tout Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna or others as the greatest US futboller. For my $, it's Dempsey all the way. I can only hope that some Yank, some time in the future will surpass Deuces' magnificent career. (His high floater from a sharp angle on the right flank vs. Juventus in the Europa League semi's remains one of the greatest goals I've ever seen).

I am a relative newbie to international club soccer so a lot of Dempsey's accomplishments in the PL are things I never realized until now.

And his time on the USMNT always seemed somewhat overshadowed by the fact that he was part of the greatest group of talent (to date) this country has seen together. Of course nothing can ever top scoring 8 seconds into a World Cup opener. Sort of set the tone for that group in the "group of death" 4 years ago.

Many will tout Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna or others as the greatest US futboller. For my $, it's Dempsey all the way. I can only hope that some Yank, some time in the future will surpass Deuces' magnificent career. (His high floater from a sharp angle on the right flank vs. Juventus in the Europa League semi's remains one of the greatest goals I've ever seen).
I think the U20s is probably going to be a great group for the US. Weah is the real deal along with Pulisic and if Sargent continues his development, we could see some real offensive firepower for the US through the next international cycle.

We still need a couple of center backs though.

Donovan was a great goalscorer and was fast, but he didn't have the technical skill and physicality of Deuce. Dempsey was tough, physical, technical and could pull off some serious magic. McBride was a tough mother as well.

I'm hoping Pulisic continues his progression and becomes a superstar.

Donovan was a great goalscorer and was fast, but he didn't have the technical skill and physicality of Deuce. Dempsey was tough, physical, technical and could pull off some serious magic. McBride was a tough mother as well.

I'm hoping Pulisic continues his progression and becomes a superstar.
Pulisic lacks that physicality (right now), but his technical skill is off the chart. Weah probably isn't as technically skilled, but his physicality and speed are probably on par or surpass that of Dempsey. Altidore lacks the mental toughness of Deuce and it showed up in his technical ability and in doing the right things at the right time. Altidore wasted a lot of pure physical talent trying to be cute and European in his approach.

Reactions: quincy101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT