ADVERTISEMENT

Chuba Hubbard...

Good for him. Gundy is the only coach who never came out and publicly said he has his black players' back in all of this. Lincoln Riley did right away, and so did Monty. Gundy's statement about OAN is BS too. It's not even a veiled "news" network as much as it's a full blown alt-right propaganda outlet similar to Breitbart. It's even further right than Fox News if you can believe that. How Gundy can not know that shirt during what this country is experiencing right now, is going to trigger outrage from his players, is unbelievable. Gundy wants everyone to believe he is a simple Okie rube. The mullet, the lack of vocabulary consisting of words with more than one or two syllables, etc. It endears him to all the small school kids. But it's not a show. This small town personna is who Gundy is, complete with small town racism.

It will be interesting. Which former and current players come out against Gundy now? Does Tylan Wallace decide to not play now? I think both of those guys could forego the college season and enter the NFLs supplemental draft and there will probably be a few teams who see them as 1st or 2nd round talent and be willing to forfeit that pick in the draft next year to get those players.

Gundy kept his job for a long time because he was Boone’s boy. Boone is dead. Gundy’s career at OSU may be dead shortly as well.

Since Kaepernich & before, maybe Gumby figured that by his words, actions & deeds over the years, he had nothing to prove in a racial context despite many other schools issuing statements of support whether they believe it or not or whether they act on it or not. I just wonder how many black players over his tenure have quit or been critical of him publicly over racial issues?

Maybe there's a ton of pent-up racial resentment that will come out at OSU. I doubt it. Maybe he's a dumb-a$$. I doubt that too. The issue is pretty much moot now as to Gundy who promises "changes" & Hubbard promising to play. A tough break for TU on 9/12.

This small town personna is who Gundy is, complete with small town racism.

I wouldnt call midwest city a small town or a hotbed of racism...

Also, i have lived in small towns most of my adult life .. the racism you so sterotypicall speak of is less prevalent than in the highly enlightened cities.

My son plays ball with multiple minorities. He hangs at their houses. They hang at mine. Our prom last year had numerous interracial couples. And interracial marriages dont even raise an eyebrow.

So take your high and mighty city prejudice and stick it in the closet where you keep the rest of your hangups and preconceived ideas.

I wouldnt call midwest city a small town or a hotbed of racism...

Also, i have lived in small towns most of my adult life .. the racism you so sterotypicall speak of is less prevalent than in the highly enlightened cities.

My son plays ball with multiple minorities. He hangs at their houses. They hang at mine. Our prom last year had numerous interracial couples. And interracial marriages dont even raise an eyebrow.

So take your high and mighty city prejudice and stick it in the closet where you keep the rest of your hangups and preconceived ideas.
I've lived in different small towns than you. In Cleveland, Ok we had one black guy come into our school in my sophomore year. He didn't make it to graduation. Early in my junior year he transferred because of too much racial prejudice. I saw the prejudice. It wasn't in his head. He got into a lot of fights, and the fights were not initially his fault.

He came tp Cleveland from another school system not very far from Cleveland, and left there over racial problems. This was in the mid eighties. Also I heard about racial problems from my cousins. At that time, the small towns in Oklahoma were not as enlightened(across the board) as your experiences portrayed them to be. Eventually he went to Broken Arrow and had no problems.

Tuloma is right. "threatened to boycott" according to The Tulsa World. A kind of racial blackmail but appropriate in this day & time.

Gundy kept his job for a long time because he was Boone’s boy. Boone is dead. Gundy’s career at OSU may be dead shortly as well.

The players everywhere are now in power and they know it. If Hubbard and friends want Gundy gone he will be gone soon. If Gundy wants to keep his job, he will give them every thing they want.

Texas football players are now "demanding" among other things, that the school no longer play the "Eyes of Texas" at games.

As the old saying goes "the inmates are now running the asylum".

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
The players everywhere are now in power and they know it. If Hubbard and friends want Gundy gone he will be gone soon. If Gundy wants to keep his job, he will give them every thing they want.

Texas football players are now "demanding" among other things, that the school no longer play the "Eyes of Texas" at games.

The players should have some semblance of control, especially if they see the ignorance displayed by Gundy and they use the only thing they can to make sure the people in charge understand the issue. Same at TX. It's one thing for a coach or an athletic dept. to say they support their athletes of color but it's another to actually do something meaningful that might have some hope of progress towards meaningful change. The "Eyes of Texas" issue probably seems like a non-issue to most until you look into the history behind the song and where the original inspiration came from.

I have known Mike since I was 13. I went to OSU football camps all four years in Highschool, he personally recruited me, and I have had many teammates and friends over the years play for him. He literally has coached thousands of Black athletes and 99.9% of them love him. Mike is the farthest thing from a racist. The only thing he is guilty of is being a conservative. I encourage you all to research the demands the black players submitted to Gundy. Let’s just say more than a couple of moms and dads of black players on that team quickly intervened on the side of Gundy.

I have known Mike since I was 13. I went to OSU football camps all four years in Highschool, he personally recruited me, and I have had many teammates and friends over the years play for him. He literally has coached thousands of Black athletes and 99.9% of them love him. Mike is the farthest thing from a racist. The only thing he is guilty of is being a conservative. I encourage you all to research the demands the black players submitted to Gundy. Let’s just say more than a couple of moms and dads of black players on that team quickly intervened on the side of Gundy.
OK. Even if he is not racist and I'll give you that, I only know him from what he says or does in interviews; he is incredibly numb to what is going on in the world today. For him to wear a shirt advertising a network that is overtly racist and anti-semitic is incredibly insensitive to the players that play for him. The mullet and Okie sentimentality attached to him makes him APPEAR to be in line with those characterizations publicly and that is a black eye on OSU. He might was well have worn a white hood, it triggers the same response in people these days.

Dave Rader was the most conservative person I knew. Before I signed with TU, I knew who I was going to play for and what they stood for before I signed on the dotted line and my family and i were good with that. I had other options but “chose” to sign with TU. Those OSU players knew who Gundy was before they signed too. Your view of OAN is different from mine but regardless, that would be like you seeing me wear a BREITBART tshirt. Everybody in the world who knows me knows I’m not racist. Instead of bringing real issues to the table for change, (paraphrasing from one parent, his players demanded Gundy change the rules and allow players to sag their pants, not have their hair neatly maintained, listen to music that has the word nigga in it among other things. If that were my kid making those demands, there would be some furniture moving around in his dorm room followed by his public retraction of those demands. I keep saying it and very few are listening. There are some that want change while others are using the moment to do whatever the hell they want to do under the banner or racism.

Reactions: TU Man and 4tu2
Dave Rader was the most conservative person I knew. Before I signed with TU, I knew who I was going to play for and what they stood for before I signed on the dotted line and my family and i were good with that. I had other options but “chose” to sign with TU. Those OSU players knew who Gundy was before they signed too. Your view of OAN is different from mine but regardless, that would be like you seeing me wear a BREITBART tshirt. Everybody in the world who knows me knows I’m not racist. Instead of bringing real issues to the table for change, (paraphrasing from one parent, his players demanded Gundy change the rules and allow players to sag their pants, not have their hair neatly maintained, listen to music that has the word nigga in it among other things. If that were my kid making those demands, there would be some furniture moving around in his dorm room followed by his public retraction of those demands. I keep saying it and very few are listening. There are some that want change while others are using the moment to do whatever the hell they want to do under the banner or racism.
Listening to Doug Gotlieb I see...From the mouth of a player, that's not what this was about. The fact that you believe that those are the things that this was about makes the fact that you disregard how awful OAN or Breitbart really are unsurprising.

Listening to Doug Gotlieb I see...From the mouth of a player, that's not what this was about.

He is right but I got my info straight from the mouth of a current players parents that literally blew his lid at his son for going along with that trash! I did also say I was paraphrasing what he told me.

Good to know that the players parent knows more about this than the actual player does. That's usually how these things work /s.

Considering the fact that none of this happened until Gundy was photo'd wearing that dumb azz shirt I am skeptical of that.

Good to know that the players parent knows more about this than the actual player does. That's usually how these things work /s.
I was told the players were told to pound sand with some of the initial demands and are now revising the list of demands. The post you sent was not all the way accurate but much of the list of the original demands was very similar.

All I know is if I’d worn an “8’s the Place” t-shirt to middle school in 1984, I would’ve gotten my ass kicked. As far as I’m concerned, the rule still applies.

Wear a Duran Duran T for all I care. Any band t-shirt is way cooler than OAN.

Reactions: URedskin54
All I know is if I’d worn an “8’s the Place” t-shirt to middle school in 1984, I would’ve gotten my ass kicked. As far as I’m concerned, the rule still applies.

Wear a Duran Duran T for all I care. Any band t-shirt is way cooler than OAN.
I'd prefer to see him in an Adam Ant T.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Farthest thing from a racist?

I have no knowledge of that situation but if he said that and those Black CU and OSU players let him get away with it than they are punks! I call BS. Barry Sanders was on that team and happens to be good friends with Gundy. Racist don’t typically have black friends. The thing is, racist usually can’t keep their views to themselves. The guy has been coaching for 30 yrs. He never treated me or any black person i know poorly. The guy has coached literally thousands of black players over the years and I haven’t seen any of his former players calling him racist. I don’t care what the current political environment is, wearing a conservative affiliated tshirt doesn’t make a person a racist.

I have no knowledge of that situation but if he said that and those Black CU and OSU players let him get away with it than they are punks! I call BS. Barry Sanders was on that team and happens to be good friends with Gundy. Racist don’t typically have black friends. The thing is, racist usually can’t keep their views to themselves. The guy has been coaching for 30 yrs. He never treated me or any black person i know poorly. The guy has coached literally thousands of black players over the years and I haven’t seen any of his former players calling him racist. I don’t care what the current political environment is, wearing a conservative affiliated tshirt doesn’t make a person a racist.
The thing is, that's where you're wrong. You think slave owners didn't make friends with some of their slaves? (P.S. not calling Gundy the equivalent of a slave owner just making a point)

I'll give you an example. My grandmother always taught our family to be nice and kind to minorities... but if anyone had ever brought an African American home on a date she would have gone ballistic after they left. Intermarriage would have been out of the question if you wanted to stay in the family.

Another example, I get in arguments with my Mom (who is a staunch liberal 90% of the time) about how racist and unhelpful her generalizations about certain races can be. She argues that since she's had black friends that's proof that she can't be racist. She bases everything off of the kind of kids she taught when she was a middle school teacher. So, if she had a couple black kids that were terrible, she attributes that to the majority of black kids. She went to OSU by the way. Not too long before Gundy was there.

People's feelings on race can be complicated from race to race and from person to person. Just because some people are nice to a black guy to his face today will mean that they be nice about a Hispanic guy behind his back tomorrow. There are still racists in both parties, but most of them really tend to hang out in the one on the right that have the guys with confederate flags and white sheets on their heads who just so happen to listen to obscure Conservative news stations like OAN.

Last edited:
So Gundy was calling opposition players the N word and not a single black player on his team had an issue with it? Find that very hard to believe. Those teams had some very high profile black players who I doubt would have sat by silently and listened to that type of language.

Now if teammates come out and confirm the story I will do an about face.

Last edited:
So Gundy was calling opposition players the N word and not a single black player on his team had an issue with it? Find that very hard to believe. Those teams had some very high profile black players who I doubt would have sat by silently and listened to that type of language.
Maybe they didn't hear it? I don't know why a player from the team that won handily would bring it up unless it actually happened.

Maybe they didn't hear it? I don't know why a player from the team that won handily would bring it up unless it actually happened.

“I can’t count the number of times he used the word”. Can’t imagine that would have been the only team or players he said it too as well. Yet not a single teammate heard a thing...ever. Sounds legit.

I’ve been working in the railroad is gone. Done. Finished.

“I can’t count the number of times he used the word”. Can’t imagine that would have been the only team or players he said it too as well. Yet not a single teammate heard a thing...ever. Sounds legit.
Maybe he did it when he was getting tackled to try and get in the other team's head?

I'll give you an example. My grandmother always taught our family to be nice and kind to minorities... but if anyone had ever brought an African American home on a date she would have gone ballistic after they left. Intermarriage would have been out of the question if you wanted to stay in the family.
We all have this one relative (or in my case a segment of relatives). I knew they were just wrong when I was a kid but kids don't tell their grandparents and aunts and uncles to stop being racist.

There are a lot of things said on the field that are intended to be heard by only one person. It is conceivable Gundy (or someone else) said it and did it in such a way that it wasn't heard all over the field. Heck, didn't Myles Garrett claim Rudolph used the slur against him which triggered his helmet swinging attack? I've coached kids and my son has been on teams with kids who knew how to get under the skin of other players and do it subtly enough that the officials on the field, the other players from both teams, and the coaches never know anything happened...you just see a noticeable difference in how that player plays the rest of the game.

And it's hard to corroborate. Just like rape or sexual assault allegations. But since it's out in public and on the interwebs it must be true. If we start hearing some stories from players on other teams it probably will not end well for Gundy. My guess is he only trash talked teams he could get the upper hand on so it's likely no OU or Nebraska players ever heard him say anything. Colorado was still a couple of years from their high point. Let's see what Kansas, KState, and Mizzou players have to say.

...and I just posted that hoping TU could get Chuba Hubbard to transfer here! I wasn't looking at all the politics involved.

After everything, it is clear Gundy is on thin ice with Holder. Too many controversies.

Let's beat OSU and then let them fire him for that reason. But after UT reported 13 COVID cases today, I'm not convinced there will be a season. Or, if there is, will stars testing positive before the game not play? Vegas couldn't handle those risks. Nor I in the stands.

I’m not convinced there will be fans in the stands, period. We’ll just have to make sure the stuffed animals and sex dolls in the stands look good on TV.

They aren't inmates, they are the workers. Thats a terrible phrase to use in a discussion about this. Players have spent most of college history getting exploited, the past six decades have been full of abuse, much of which was done in public, a great deal of it racial. The 50s, 60s, and 70s are full of these stories, they continued through the 80s and 90s. Happened at every level middle school to pros.

Gundy had several former players chime in and agree with Chubba. His previous issues in high school and college have come up. So now we are to believe that a person who has been accused of it in High School, College, and as a coach that it isn't true?

How many black players, teammates, coach's friends, or kids he has experience with isn't relevant in any way. A wife beater can get along with his mom and sister just fine, doesn't mean he didn't beat his wife.

Reactions: ctt8410
I’m not convinced there will be fans in the stands, period. We’ll just have to make sure the stuffed animals and sex dolls in the stands look good on TV.
College football might cancel the season without fans. NFL will go on as the bulk of their $ comes from TV and licensing revenue, not tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT