ADVERTISEMENT

Champions

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
TU beats USF in the sixth pk when USF kicks it wide. Slow game. But I'll take it. Do we get a home game next?

This post was edited on 11/16 2:00 PM by Gold*

Bracket announced tomorrow at noon. We had better not get jobbed like we have in years past.

Jobbing completed. At SLU on Thursday.

Its not too bad. It's been worse in years past. It's a job from the standpoint that the first round game is a team that is probably more dangerous than round two and three probable opponents. It's also a job from the standpoint that teams we beat in the regular season are hosting and we are not. But you get that consideration in part by playing well on the road. TU has given up a lot of goals on the road. We aren't too far removed from the "we forgot to file the paperwork" incident as well as some other factors I'll keep to myself.

SLU was a 1-0 road loss. That game could have been won. Since then, we beat Virginia and beat better teams on the road. I'm OK with it. Call your alum friends in StL and tell them to effing get out there with their kids and make noise.

Louisville on the road isn't too much more to ask, they've been playing inconsistent. The deal with Louisville (besides their fan base being a bunch of dolts. See the sig below where we went on to their board and pretended to post about Tulsa v UCF and they actually believed there was a problem with rivals software.) is Louisville always has guy that are tall. Like the shortest guy out there is 5'11" and listed as 6'0" in the program. They are taught how to use their height to win 50-50s and otherwise create space very well.

Maryland is beatable. They are a pro player factory in the eyes of some, but have been slipping a little.

Originally posted by Gold*:
Jobbing completed. At SLU on Thursday.
That's not a terrible draw for TU actually. Tom McIntosh's teams always seem to rise to the occasion and play up to tough competition. Looking at the teams in that bottom half, TU could make a run to the College Cup 4. What I would fear as a TU fan is making it past Louisville in the 2nd round and playing Wake Forest or UMBC...rather than Maryland...Tom's teams have a way of having let downs against perceived weaker opponents after a big win (see Cal St Northridge after defeating UVA). I know it drives Tom crazy.

As for this team, it is much better on the back end than it has been. TU has always had some very skilled and creative forwards and midfielders in the attack but have always seemed to have some mental lapses in the back. Jake McGuire is a really solid keeper and the D has been really good overall this year. Beating SLU would not be out of the question seeing as how confidently TU has been playing the last 2-3 weeks.

Originally posted by tufan56:
Is there any shot at a home game if we win in STL?
No. Not until the 3rd Round and then only if TU filed the correct paperwork, has the money, is willing to spend it, and Wake Forest and Maryland both get beat (unlikely).

Personally Id stay on the road and keep the cash in the recruiting and assistants budget. Our talent level is far above anything Tulsa could have expected 20 or even 10 years ago. You gotta spend to maintain that.

Enough about that CSUN game! They went 4-2-1 against tournament teams this year. They lost 3-0 at #1 UCLA and 1-0 to Fullerton, a rivalry game. (They tied Fullerton at home). Neither loss is embarrassing. They beat then #18UAB soundly in Tulsa. They are one of the strongest teams on the west coast. Is that a game TU would like to have back? Sure. There is no reason to discount them and claim they are some type of middle dweller and TU had a mental breakdown. It's more likely they prepared more for a familiar opponent in UAB and didn't have time to get the guys ready given the tourney format for those games as well as CSUN having a couple of difference makers.

This post was edited on 11/17 1:58 PM by HuffyCane

Huffy, the point is the inconsistency drives Tom crazy because he'll get an effort that makes you think his team can contend for a national title one night to hoping they finish above .500 the next night. However, as I stated earlier, this team seems to be a little more even keeled and balanced and they seem to bring the same effort.

In the end, TU hasn't lost a game in a month. One of their losses (4-2 to SMU) they had a 2-1 lead and then something happened. If you follow the games on gamecast at all you know TU is getting a ton of chances and limiting the chances against them. I understand SLU is a good team, but the early season loss was 1-0. Tom will have his guys ready.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT