ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon šŸ„ƒ

How in the hell did you survive in Oklahoma without eating black pepper or okra?
Not very well. Family looked at me like I was crazy.

Can't stand fresh tomato covered like grass on dirt, w/ Salt & Peppa.

I enjoy the heck out of Cajun food after I remove all the okra.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Maker's and Weller are probably the best known and widely available wheaters. Pappy, as Huffy said, is the most famous. The Pappy and Weller line both come out of the Buffalo Trace distillery now.

Other wheated bourbons include Larceny (from Heaven Hill), Rebel Yell (from Luxco), Wyoming Whiskey (out of Wyoming) and Garrison Brothers (out of Texas). Larceny is a throwback to Old Fitzgerald that was purchased by Heaven Hill...it's really good.

As Huffy said, rye whiskey and high-rye bourbon is spicier or harsher on most people's palette. I'm not a fan of rye whiskey, which is over 50 percent rye in the mash bill. High-rye bourbon is hit and miss with me.

Bourbon has to be at least 51 percent corn in the mash bill. The second ingredient is usually rye or wheat, and then typically a small percentage of malted barley. Wheated bourbons are those with wheat in the mash bill rather than rye. Rye often adds spicy, peppery notes...and sometimes earthy notes as well.

Harshness can also come from proof as well. Many people just getting into bourbon should try things in the 80 to 100 proof range. Old Forester 86 proof is a great one...72% corn, 18% rye and 10% malted barley. Notice the low percentage of rye. Of course Buffalo Trace is another, low rye and 90 proof. Then there's wheated stuff like Maker's and Weller.

Once you get used to the proof, you can start drinking 100 proof and move up to some of the 120 and 130+ proof stuff, usually called Cask Strength or Barrel Strength...meaning it is straight out of the barrel and not proofed down (or cut) with water. The only thing that can be added to bourbon out of the barrel is water...otherwise, it's no longer bourbon.

Barrel Strength whiskey has much more depth of flavor. It's much more complex and really coats your tongue. Weller Antique at 107 proof is much better than regular Weller Special Reserve. In my opinion, Maker's Mark Cask Strength at around 110 proof is an even better version of regular Maker's. So much more flavor.

But if you are mixing, then go with the lower proof, cheaper stuff for sure.

Some people love bourbon, some don't. My dad thinks bourbon is just okay...he's a scotch guy. I don't like scotch at all. I do like Irish Whiskey. I had Redbreast 12 last night...super good and very smooth.

I kind of rambled there, but hope some of that is helpful.
Yes, you and Huffy both gave me great information.

So last night I went to a place I had not been to before. Blockhouse pub at 131st & 193rd E Ave in BA. Unimpressive exterior, was not expecting much.

Had the best vieux carre I had ever had. They used Bulleitt rye. And the food outstanding as well. But mainly I was happy to find someone who knew how to properly make a whisky drink.

So last night I went to a place I had not been to before. Blockhouse pub at 131st & 193rd E Ave in BA. Unimpressive exterior, was not expecting much.

Had the best vieux carre I had ever had. They used Bulleitt rye. And the food outstanding as well. But mainly I was happy to find someone who knew how to properly make a whisky drink.
I pass by the Blockhouse all the time going back and forth between Coweta and BA/Bixby. I've never stopped, but my wife ate there once and said it was good. I had to look up Vieux Carre to see what it was!!! I'd never heard of it. What did you have to eat?

I pass by the Blockhouse all the time going back and forth between Coweta and BA/Bixby. I've never stopped, but my wife ate there once and said it was good. I had to look up Vieux Carre to see what it was!!! I'd never heard of it. What did you have to eat?
Ah. Well now you have a reason to go to New Orleans for a Tulane game. The drink was invented at the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter. Vieux Carre meaning ā€œold squareā€ or by inference the French Quarter.

Order their signature cocktail at their timeless and iconic circus carousel bar while pretending you are wearing a seersucker suit and fanning yourself while a lady of questionable character calls you Big Daddy.

It has rye, cognac, vermouth, and two kinds of bitters. I could never make one worth a flip despite careful measurements. Itā€™s $5 for the booze and $20 for the service with this drink.

Before you leave, order a Sazerac. The official cocktail of the state of Louisiana. Rinse a glass with absinthe. Add chilled rye and peyschauds bitters and simple syrup. Now thatā€™s some good stuff. And as mentioned earlier I avoid rye.

Finish up. Buy a beer from a street vendor, and take the antique street car a block away on Canal Street through to the Garden District. After passing through mossy oaks and mansions, step down to the Tulane campus. Walk up Berger Lawn, which is quickly becoming a nationally recognized tailgate experience despite the ban on kegs and drinking games and even cornhole. Itā€™s a good place to find a wife who is also your best friend and who can out drink you if you are looking.

After you get into Yulman Stadium, grab another $6 20oz beer and watch the boys surf that Green Wave by 40 points.

When itā€™s over find an Uber to take in the jazz and bullet holes from mob shootings years ago at the 21st Amendment while you sip Abita Amber from a plastic cup.

Wind up around 1am at the The Spotted Cat for Old Fashioneds and cigars while you listen to your wife suddenly say she no longer wants to go back to the hotel when the period dressed dancers come out on to the floor for the Swing set.

Thatā€™s how you vacation.

What did you have to eat?
So we had some stuffed fried mushrooms and some fried Brussels sprouts as appetizers, I had the braised beef tacos which were outstanding. Had a bite of anotherā€™s fish and chips. Iā€™d go back for those.

Speaking of French Quarter food, get a Sazerac and then a Peacemaker oyster po boy from Peacemaker Lobster and Crab in downtown Tulsa. I literally was moaning in pleasure that sandwich is so good. Lol

I have no idea how we ended up with a Peacemaker restaurant here. There is the original in New Orleans, I believe one in St. Louis and Tulsa.

So we had some stuff fried mushrooms and some fried Brussels sprouts as appetizers, I had the braised beef tacos which were outstanding. Had a bite of anotherā€™s fish and chips. Iā€™d go back for those.

Speaking of French Quarter food, get a Sazerac and then a Peacemaker oyster po boy from Peacemaker Lobster and Crab in downtown Tulsa. I literally was moaning in pleasure that sandwich is so good. Lol

I have no idea how we ended up with a Peacemaker restaurant here. There is the original in New Orleans, I believe one in St. Louis and Tulsa.
No idea that was there. Thanks!!!

So we had some stuffed fried mushrooms and some fried Brussels sprouts as appetizers, I had the braised beef tacos which were outstanding. Had a bite of anotherā€™s fish and chips. Iā€™d go back for those.

I'll be honest, we went to Peacemaker in Tulsa once, and it didn't make an impression. Maybe I didn't have the right food. I do remember that I did NOT get a po boy, and a guy at the next table did...it looked great. I've had an oyster po boy in Nawlins though.

It was crazy. I actually saw the original featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The owner is neighbors to Emeril Legasse. Anyway, Iā€™m a fried oyster fan so I made a note of the unusual name of the place. Googled it, saw there was one in Tulsa and jetted downtown.

Someone with me had a catfish po boy, it was just ok. They make their own bread just for it, and the remoulade sauce is amazing. Give it a whirl.

Ah. Well now you have a reason to go to New Orleans for a Tulane game. The drink was invented at the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter. Vieux Carre meaning ā€œold squareā€ or by inference the French Quarter.

Order their signature cocktail at their timeless and iconic circus carousel bar while pretending you are wearing a seersucker suit and fanning yourself while a lady of questionable character calls you Big Daddy.

It has rye, cognac, vermouth, and two kinds of bitters. I could never make one worth a flip despite careful measurements. Itā€™s $5 for the booze and $20 for the service with this drink.

Before you leave, order a Sazerac. The official cocktail of the state of Louisiana. Rinse a glass with absinthe. Add chilled rye and peyschauds bitters and simple syrup. Now thatā€™s some good stuff. And as mentioned earlier I avoid rye.

Finish up. Buy a beer from a street vendor, and take the antique street car a block away on Canal Street through to the Garden District. After passing through mossy oaks and mansions, step down to the Tulane campus. Walk up Berger Lawn, which is quickly becoming a nationally recognized tailgate experience despite the ban on kegs and drinking games and even cornhole. Itā€™s a good place to find a wife who is also your best friend and who can out drink you if you are looking.

After you get into Yulman Stadium, grab another $6 20oz beer and watch the boys surf that Green Wave by 40 points.

When itā€™s over find an Uber to take in the jazz and bullet holes from mob shootings years ago at the 21st Amendment while you sip Abita Amber from a plastic cup.

Wind up around 1am at the The Spotted Cat for Old Fashioneds and cigars while you listen to your wife suddenly say she no longer wants to go back to the hotel when the period dressed dancers come out on to the floor for the Swing set.

Thatā€™s how you vacation.

From 2005 to early 2015, I went to NOLA at least once a month for work. Office was downtown, so I stayed downtown. A whole lot of what you described is familiar to me.
I miss NOLA, even the dirty smelly side of it. Fun place. Some hate it.

The Katrina game was in Reston. But they played again a few years later and it will still trying to come back.

TU stayed at the Ritz. I think it was $159 a night or close to it.

Canal Street was empty. Bourbon was open but light crowds. You had the feel of NOLA but no tourists or the debauchery itā€™s known for.

That was probably my favorite trip.

The game was in the Superdome. Gus smoked them by 30 points. You could hear conversations on the other side of the field. Maybe 1000 people watched it. Probably less.

Least favorite trip was waking up on a used pizza box in a doorway at 6am in the pouring rain in February. Bourbon was to blame, not me.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Iā€™ve only been to NOLA once but loved it. Weā€™re not big drinkers but loved the food. The street car line through the garden district to Tulane is the St. Charles line. We stayed on St. Charles, I wouldnā€™t stay in the French Quarter, way expensive, noisy and stinky. We didnā€™t do a lot of upscale places but liked Voodoo BBQ, St. Charles Tavern, the touristy Crazy Lobster had the best red beans and rice I had down there and my wife enjoyed their bucket of shrimp. We only had a couple of meals in the quarter. My wife did get to see them film an episode of NCIS: New Orleans and you can see a bit of her leg or arm (canā€™t remember which) in a parade scene.

Iā€™ve only been to NOLA once but loved it. Weā€™re not big drinkers but loved the food. The street car line through the garden district to Tulane is the St. Charles line. We stayed on St. Charles, I wouldnā€™t stay in the French Quarter, way expensive, noisy and stinky. We didnā€™t do a lot of upscale places but liked Voodoo BBQ, St. Charles Tavern, the touristy Crazy Lobster had the best red beans and rice I had down there and my wife enjoyed their bucket of shrimp. We only had a couple of meals in the quarter. My wife did get to see them film an episode of NCIS: New Orleans and you can see a bit of her leg or arm (canā€™t remember which) in a parade scene.

St. Charles Tavern permanently closed in July. Lack of business during Covid, got them.
Several other long time local restaurants and local bars have closed.

• Sad
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If anyone is looking for a cheap mixer that isn't absolute garbage, J.W. Dant (from Heaven Hill) is a Bottled in Bond product that sells for around $14 per liter at Parkhill's. I can even sip it neat.

I used trusty Wild Turkey 101 last night to make an Old Fashioned. Pretty solid.

147849473_10159231520189400_1673780042609990103_o.jpg

I donā€™t drink anything neat. So Iā€™m learning what cocktails I prefer to use rye vs bourbon with. The earthiness is a bonus in mixing, as a smooth bourbon kind of gets lost. So what I would prefer to sip, would not be great to mix with.

As for my earlier post, I was kind of on a TUBill nostalgia kick...... lol

Had a chance to sample Wild Turkey Masterā€™s Keep BIB.

Save your money unless you have fond memories of being 3 years old and licking your grandfatherā€™s 100 year old desk in his study.

Woody but not a lot of body. Like drinking lacquer dissolved in water.

Thereā€™s a lot better out there for $175.

I guess WT was trying to match Pappy and failed but too much corporate momentum so they threw it out there anyway.

Save your money unless you have fond memories of being 3 years old and licking your grandfatherā€™s 100 year old desk in his study.
That's good to know. I broke out a new batch of Maker's Cask Strength last night...batch 20-05. It's really good, but batch 20-03 was better, IMO. You really can't go wrong with their Cask Strength offerings.

Ok, I have had a major revelation. Went to a tasting at Wine Cellar in Tulsa Hills. Tasted Reverence bourbon, a cask strength from Red Fork Distillery, in west Tulsa. Maybe my local bias, but I was blown away by how good it was. The distillery is on Southwest Blvd, in Red Fork area. Itā€™s $48.

Also picked up their Southern Journey vodka which is solid.

The artwork on the labels is by Tulsa artist Josh Stout, who is opening a new gallery also in west Tulsa. There is a push to revitalize that side of town.

Red Fork distillery also has a space you can reserve for parties. Pick some of this bourbon up and tell me if you agree. Btw, I havenā€™t tried their regular-proof bourbon called The Heist. Iā€™m so happy that local spirits are being made of very high quality.

Made an old fashioned using the Reverence bourbon, Demerara simple syrup and Woodford Reserve Orange bitters.

Ok, I have had a major revelation. Went to a tasting at Wine Cellar in Tulsa Hills. Tasted Reverence bourbon, a cask strength from Red Fork Distillery, in west Tulsa. Maybe my local bias, but I was blown away by how good it was. The distillery is on Southwest Blvd, in Red Fork area. Itā€™s $48.

The artwork on the labels is by Tulsa artist Josh Stout, who is opening a new gallery also in west Tulsa. There is a push to revitalize that side of town.

Red Fork distillery also has a space you can reserve for parties. Pick some of this bourbon up and tell me if you agree. Btw, I havenā€™t tried their regular-proof bourbon called The Heist. Iā€™m so happy that local spirits are being made of very high quality.

Made an old fashioned using the Reverence bourbon, Demerara simple syrup and Woodford Reserve Orange bitters.
I had their Southern Journey Vodka. If your taste in vodka is equivalent to your taste in bourbon, I'll pass. No offense intended, but that vodka was horrendous. It was awful in a shot glass. I couldn't even cover up that vodka with a really heavy dose of soda. And covering it up was the only way to drink that swill.

Last edited:

I was there. It was good. Not as good as Hochatown, but, lightyears above the product from Scissortail in Moore.

The Cavalier cigar was good with the bourbon but really came to life with the single malt i bought for the table.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I had their Southern Journey Vodka. If your taste in vodka is equivalent to your taste in bourbon, I'll pass. No offense intended, but that vodka was horrendous. It was awful in a shot glass. I couldn't even cover up that vodka with a really heavy dose of soda. And covering it up was the only way to drink that swill.
I mix vodkas. Lemon drops, grapefruit basil martinis, my own Moscow mules. There is not much difference in vodkas. I have taught classes in mixology. Change my mind.

If you shoot vodka, you need help. Just sayin.

I mix vodkas. Lemon drops, grapefruit basil martinis, my own Moscow mules. There is not much difference in vodkas. I have taught classes in mixology. Change my mind.

If you shoot vodka, you need help. Just sayin.
I don't shoot vodkas. But when I get a new vodka, I like to do a half shot to see how it tastes by itself. I just didn't like the Southern Comfort. It had a strong, and not decent after taste that was hard to cover up. The only vodka i've had recently that topped that as a worse vodka, was one made from hemp. Was just givin' you a hard time, cuz I had such a bad experience with it. šŸ˜‰

Cheers šŸ» turning me on to the Bourbon. I'll have to try it. I'll probably try the Hochatown that Noble mentioned, as well.

I don't shoot vodkas. But when I get a new vodka, I like to do a half shot to see how it tastes by itself. I just didn't like the Southern Comfort. It had a strong, and not decent after taste that was hard to cover up. The only vodka i've had recently that topped that as a worse vodka, was one made from hemp. Was just givin' you a hard time, cuz I had such a bad experience with it. šŸ˜‰

Cheers šŸ» turning me on to the Bourbon. I'll have to try it. I'll probably try the Hochatown that Noble mentioned, as well.
Hate to admit it.. but I shoot vodka.. well, i drink it poured into a frozen shot glass straight from a bottle in the freezer. There is a difference between Grey Goose, Belvedere, Elit and Bartons. I make my Martinis with GG when I'm not using Bombay Saphire.. I wave the Vermouth in front of the mixing glass with either spirit before stirring them over purified ice. I will infuse lesser vodkas with fruits or herbs but i wont serve lesser vodkas in a martini.

There are few things in life more satisfying than Ketel, light rocks, with a twist of lemon and lime. You sound like an alkie saying it and people look at you like you need help, but once they try it they rarely say it is anything other than wonderful.

As for shooting vodka, thatā€™s becoming more common as the industry develops and a shot of infused vodka can be chilled and served faster than mixing vodka and juice or whatever. Itā€™s also cheaper for bars as customers demand more and more diverse flavors that a bar doesnā€™t want to pay to store due to low overall demand.

There really isnā€™t a dimes bit of difference between ordering a shot of lemon infused vodka with a sugared rim and ordering a lemon drop. Except social appearances.

Last edited:
A well made lemon drop is quite good. Itā€™s the drink that launched my mixology hobby.
Iā€˜m actually making it with Chambord these days.

A vodka to try is Reyka, from Iceland. My personal fave.

Havent tried any of the Heavens Gate bourbons yet.. good?
Haven't tried one yet either. These barrel picks are starting to hit, and I've heard really good things about them. I pre-ordered two bottles of this one, but one is for a buddy in Bartlesville.

Extra bottles of this one are on the floor at B&B on 71st and Mingo. Also, BA Liquor Mart just received their Heavens Door store pick.

Reactions: noble cane
On an off-topic note, it looks like Iā€™ll be teaching cocktail making classes at Red Fork distillery on an occasional basis, starting in December. Not sure how we will set it up, Iā€™ll have more details this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT