ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon 🥃

Hey Chris, on George Dickel Bib...

Where to buy

You can put George Dickel BiB, any store, 100 mi, your zip code. You'll find about 10 stores around Fayettville Arkansas and a few in MO. You have to check the stock with them, and the prices. But maybe you have a friend in Fayetteville to ship it to you, or plan on taking a trip there in the not so distant future.

I plan on going to visit an old roommate from TU in Yellville, Ar in the not so distant future. Fayettville is about halfway in between Tulsa and Yellville . When I go, I plan on checking the stock and prices before I go. Maybe I'll get some Rebel Yell while I'm in Yellville.

I don't know how limited the release was, and it's pretty late in the year. But I would like to find the 2019 13 year old Bourbon from George Dickel(BiB). I prefer it's mash bill better. I found where they said it was released in May of 2019, but did not see what month they released it in 2020. Was not drinking much bourbon till the second half of 2019, when I caught the bug.
Thanks! 🥃

The 2019 release was reviewed really well. I just figured it would be hard to find...but heck, the 2020 release is hard to find around here. I did notice that a lot of the whiskey websites have a locator function now. The Old Forester site said there was a bottle of their Single Barrel at Red Sky Liquor (51st & Yale), but when I called, it had just sold.

Thanks! 🥃

The 2019 release was reviewed really well. I just figured it would be hard to find...but heck, the 2020 release is hard to find around here. I did notice that a lot of the whiskey websites have a locator function now. The Old Forester site said there was a bottle of their Single Barrel at Red Sky Liquor (51st & Yale), but when I called, it had just sold.
Too bad Amazon doesn't sell liquor! I'd find somebody that had a bottle of the 2019, and pay a small ransom for it. Then again they'd probably sell every brewers stock out really quick.

It’s Thirsty Thursday, and in honor of the delayed Kentucky Derby, I’m having a mint julep a couple days early. Unfortunately the mint plants I am growing (I actually call them mojito plants:cool:) are a little overgrown and woody. So the mint taste is not as good as I would like it.

I am reporting this mainly to keep this thread going. My hope is that it receives sticky thread status one day.

Larceny was a very pleasant surprise to me when I tried it. And I will repeat myself, give the Japanese whiskeys a try. Even the lowest price Suntory is amazing.

Added some of these links to the original post...

HEAVEN HILL:

BROWN-FORMAN:

BUFFALO TRACE:

BEAM SUNTORY:

BULLEIT:

WOODFORD:

Kentucky Distilling Co. (WILLETT):

WILD TURKEY:

FOUR ROSES:

Reactions: HuffyCane
You can get it in a can at Amazon.($20/12pk) Otherwise you might as well go to Cracker Barrel if you want it in a bottle.

I just ordered 4 bottles of Jim Beam Bonded. If you want to meet sometime in Tulsa, one of 'em is yours if you are interested.
Hey @HuffyCane, check out what @Gmoney4WW had when I met him today! Big thanks to Gmoney for the Beam Bonded as well!! It'll be on the menu this weekend.

1599257494919.png

Next thing you know, you’ll be announcing a temple tax for our use of ITS over the years and we will all have to bring you a bottle.
The Ale81 is pretty good. I had Canada Dry after the Ale81, and the Canada Dry tasted like a watered down version of Ale81, which has more ginger spice and is sweeter. Went well with the Beam Bonded.

Every morning I check this thread and make myself a Bloody Mary lol. Has anyone tried that Cooperstown Doubleday bourbon? I bought the vodka version yesterday b/c I just wanted the bottle shaped like a baseball. Apparently, they outsource to Illinois like you guys were talking about earlier in this thread.

I've been to Cooperstown three times but never stopped at the distillery there. They apparently have a tasting room and all that jazz. I guess I was too busy talking to Joe Pepitone about Don Larsen's perfect game in '56.

Every morning I check this thread and make myself a Bloody Mary lol.
Nice! 🍹

I haven't tried anything from Cooperstown. I did try Wyoming Whiskey small batch bourbon last night and thought it was really good.

Classic-American-Whiskey-ol50kxqzuwsumbtbhvmpdn3plxhayzhys7h9x8wmf2.png

Last edited:
Every morning I check this thread and make myself a Bloody Mary lol. Has anyone tried that Cooperstown Doubleday bourbon? I bought the vodka version yesterday b/c I just wanted the bottle shaped like a baseball. Apparently, they outsource to Illinois like you guys were talking about earlier in this thread.

I've been to Cooperstown three times but never stopped at the distillery there. They apparently have a tasting room and all that jazz. I guess I was too busy talking to Joe Pepitone about Don Larsen's perfect game in '56.
Got a bottle for fathers day... havent opened it... look at it as a curiosity... like an elvis jim beam decanter

I knew students who paid their tuition bootlegging whiskey from Cairo, IL, and another got kicked out of TU for making "bathtub gin" in his dorm room in the 40s.

A couple good articles...plus, Buffalo Trace has released its 2020 Antique Collection...

I tend to gravitate toward the wheated bourbons, although they are tougher for me to get right in cocktails.

FWIW, there’s a two year, 740 page thread over on the Main Board.

Thanks for mentioning that...I ended up connecting with a guy in Dallas through that thread. He is driving up to Afton tomorrow for a round of golf with buddies. He has an insane bourbon collection (about 3,000 bottles), and I'm meeting him on his way through to buy some allocated bottles at MSRP. He has two cases of Stagg Jr. batch 14. Craziness.

Thanks for mentioning that...I ended up connecting with a guy in Dallas through that thread. He is driving up to Afton tomorrow for a round of golf with buddies. He has an insane bourbon collection (about 3,000 bottles), and I'm meeting him on his way through to buy some allocated bottles at MSRP. He has two cases of Stagg Jr. batch 14. Craziness.
Now I’m the one claiming a temple tax.

If anyone sees a bottle of George Dickel BiB, Eagle Rare 10 or even a dang bottle of Buffalo Trace in a Tulsa liquor store...please let me know. Ridiculous that I can't find those.
I don’t understand the hoarding of BT. It’s good, but not that good.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
For many years Oklahoma had a brands tax, which levied a fee for each brand of bourbon, gin, etc., stocked by a liquor retailer. That had the effect of limiting variety available. I don't know if that law is still on the books, but if it is, it might explain your problem finding certain brands.

I don’t understand the hoarding of BT. It’s good, but not that good.
I totally agree with you. However, I don't think it is hoarding...OK just isn't getting much of it according to some store owners. Same with Eagle Rare. In other parts of the country, it's just sitting on shelves. Same deal with Weller Special Reserve. You can't find it in some parts of the country, but I could drive over to B&B today and get a case at $21.99 a bottle. Online, some places are charging over $100 for it! o_Oo_O

It's kind of like the story I've heard of Grey Goose vodka. Back when vodka was becoming more popular due to Cosmos appearing in bars, a businessman realized that vodka was pretty much a commodity item. So he found a distiller in France (based on the fact that French make great wine, so therefore they must make great vodka), and had them start making vodka. He packaged the bottles in wooden boxes and presented them to liquor store owners, along with doubling the price of every other vodka on the market at the time. Of course, now vodka is far and away the best-selling liquor out there. It spurred a whole new market of "premium" vodkas.

There is some good stuff hitting the shelves in Oklahoma right now. But it's also going fast. Several places got Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Blanton's, etc., the past few days. But it's wiped out in like 15 minutes. Definitely gone by the time I get there.

Wojo

Yes...actually found it at Broadway Liquors in Muskogee for $37.99. Another one I haven't opened yet. I've got too many bottles open right now. Need to finish some stuff first. I've put a hurting on the Beam Bonded...it's almost gone.
Let me know what you think of the dickel when you get into it.

Did they have a decent supply of it at Broadway when you left there?

Let me know what you think of the dickel when you get into it.

Did they have a decent supply of it at Broadway when you left there?
It was a week ago, and he had one case, on the floor behind the counter. I'm guessing it's gone, but you could call and ask. I called before I went out there. However, I've seen people post pictures of Dickel BiB on the shelves at places in Tulsa or surrounding area.

Been a hard week, if you know what I do.

Two fingers of Heaven Hill Green Label Old Style 6 year really cuts the edge off of a bad Friday. Give it a bit to rest and you’d swear you were drinking a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Enjoy the weekend boys, no matter what you’re drinking.

Two fingers of Heaven Hill Green Label Old Style 6 year really cuts the edge off of a bad Friday. Give it a bit to rest and you’d swear you were drinking a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
That's some good stuff! Really can't be beat for the price, if you can still find it. I noticed they've switched that to a new Bottled in Bond white label recently, which caused some outrage. It's higher priced too.

Last night was bottle kill time for Jim Beam Bonded at my house.

Ok, I know y’all are traditionalists, but I tend to go against the grain on bourbon choices. Just bought a new brand, Fistful of Bourbon. It’s a blend of 5 bourbons. Unconventional. Really like it. Very smooth. Only $23 at B&B.

Ok, I know y’all are traditionalists, but I tend to go against the grain on bourbon choices. Just bought a new brand, Fistful of Bourbon. It’s a blend of 5 bourbons. Unconventional. Really like it. Very smooth. Only $23 at B&B.
I'll have to check into that. I just picked up a cheapy today... Heaven Hill's Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond. $23.

Chris, it’s actually blended by a Scottish woman who is the hot new distiller in her country. And they have unconventional marketing. A mini-movie comedy by an SNL alumnus on their website. Kinda funny, definitely not traditional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT