ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon 🥃

Cant believe I'm just now onto this thread...

I'm a Scotch guy, but, if it goes with a cigar then I'm in.

NJ played 18u ball in KS this summer and I was blown away by the lower prices of bar staples. Woodford reserve and Johnnie black were easily $20 cheaper in the 1.75L than here in OK. Both make good manhattans and rob roys.

Ive become a fan of Tulsa cigar maker Ultimo's blends paired with the Woodford or a good Rhum...

Reactions: HuffyCane
LEC you are the intellectual and philosophical glue that holds this board together, but for the love of all that is holy, noooooooooooo :puke:

This is going to require an intervention.

Hahahahahaaaaa! You said you like craft cocktails. What's wrong with a few slices of hot japs, some limeade, a touch of triple sec, and some Exotico? I'm too old to be sipping on some straight tequila.

Now that Parfidio bottle(s) I was talking about ... Years ago when I was young and spry, me and buddy would sip on that stuff after the Raiders beat any of their AFC West rivals. This was back when they were good mind you. Then I'd prank call the bartender at Slow Duck, who was a Chiefs fan. Ah good times.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Buy stock in Brown-Forester and then call Corporate Relations? I’m not kidding.
I actually got an email from Old Forester today. They are doing things different this year due to COVID. It said I should get an email on Sept 2nd with an opportunity to go online and buy. There are only 95 barrels worth, so it's going to go fast. The catch for me is, it has to be picked up curbside on September 9th or 10th at the distillery in Louisville, Ky. Only one bottle per household, name on purchase confirmation has to match ID. About a 10-hour drive, one way.

Here ya go Chris....one from a blue hair....Rebel Yell--..Straight Bourbon Whiskey...Bottled by W L Weller...smooth as a baby's butt.......:cowboy: yeehawww!!!!!
Looks like Rebel Yell is now owned by Luxco. Says it's now distilled and aged at Luxco's new distillery, Lux Row Distillers, in Bardstown, Kentucky. I recently saw Rebel Yell recommended on a video about budget bourbons.

Cant believe I'm just now onto this thread...

I'm a Scotch guy, but, if it goes with a cigar then I'm in.

NJ played 18u ball in KS this summer and I was blown away by the lower prices of bar staples. Woodford reserve and Johnnie black were easily $20 cheaper in the 1.75L than here in OK. Both make good manhattans and rob roys.

Ive become a fan of Tulsa cigar maker Ultimo's blends paired with the Woodford or a good Rhum...
The tax on alcohol in Oklahoma is outrageous.

Plus there are laws on the books that liquor stores must charge a certain amount of markup at a minimum. Plus all liquor sold in OK must be purchased through one of three approved wholesalers. The liquor store lobby has gotten away with robbery for decades.

Plus there are laws on the books that liquor stores must charge a certain amount of markup at a minimum. Plus all liquor sold in OK must be purchased through one of three approved wholesalers. The liquor store lobby has gotten away with robbery for decades.
Back in the 80’s they were actually robbing and paying Shawshank style kick backs to County Commissioners until the FBai stepped in

It blows my mind that the legislature didn’t step in at that point and change the system. Even as a teenager, I could see the systemic corruption in the Democratic Party and knew I had to leave the state.

If you’re not too fussy looking for specific brands, Costco’s in Missouri sell liquor dirt cheap. And wine.

I had always heard great things about Early Times Bottled in Bond, sold in 1L bottles for about $25. Sazerac/Buffalo Trace just purchased Early Times from Brown-Forman, so I recently bought a bottle of BIB before it possibly changes or goes up in price. Had a glass last night.

Wow...super good, especially for the price. I got tons of butterscotch and pancake syrup notes, along with some sort of citrus. It got better and better as I sipped it. Might buy another bottle just to have on hand for down the road.
11770061324318.png
Chris, where did you get this? I want to give it a whirl.

It's readily available most places I think. It is $24.99 at my local Coweta Wine & Spirits. The Bottled in Bond comes in 1 liter bottles. At B&B (71st & Mingo) it was $26.99. Certainly worth $30, but I saw that Total Wine in Texas has it for $21...which is a steal.

When I saw it was a 1L bottle, it made me think of this scene from Super Troopers...

Thank you! I’m always looking for a good mixing bourbon, since I’m a cocktail dood I don’t drink it neat.

I drink it neat occasionally,(30% of the time) but the Jim Beam bonded mixes well with anything. I drink it with coffee, juice, soda, etc. That was one of the reasons I loved it. I didn't have to buy Bourbon and straight Whiskey, because bonded Beam went well with anything. I plan on going to B&B to get some Early Times bonded as well.

Good job, Chris! I got some of that Early Times BIB. It’s quite good. Did a mini-comparison with my Elijah Craig small batch. May have preferred it actually.
Awesome! If you haven't tried it, you might also like 1792 Small Batch. The finish reminds me of Big Red cinnamon gum. It is Barton's flagship line...about $28 for a 750mL at B&B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Kendall
Picked up ginger ale and club soda. Looks like Presbyterians will be on the menu this evening. Was going to pick up some Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch bourbon, as it was recently voted as one of the best wheaters on the market, but couldn't find it close. Park Hill South and B&B apparently have it on hand, so I might swing into T-town this weekend.

I'm interested to find Ale 81.

I noticed over the past 10 years that distilleries were sourcing a lot of whiskey, mainly from MGP in Indiana. It led to a lot of blending, and age statements disappeared. That's why I like Bonded whiskey, since it has to be from one season at one distillery and at least 4 years old. However, age statements are coming back as supply gets better.

I agree with you on Maker's. B&B currently has a store pick of Maker's Private Select for $70...I'm tempted to grab it.
You can get it in a can at Amazon.($20/12pk) Otherwise you might as well go to Cracker Barrel if you want it in a bottle.

I just ordered 4 bottles of Jim Beam Bonded. If you want to meet sometime in Tulsa, one of 'em is yours if you are interested.

You can get it in a can at Amazon.($20/12pk) Otherwise you might as well go to Cracker Barrel if you want it in a bottle.

I just ordered 4 bottles of Jim Beam Bonded. If you want to meet sometime in Tulsa, one of 'em is yours if you are interested.
Nice! I might take you up on that...just let me know what I'd owe you. Although I might see if I can find it locally...I'm probably going to run by Park Hill South this weekend. There are a couple other stores in that vicinity as well.

Jeffersons reserve? Opinions?
I've never tried Reserve, which I think comes in small batch if I remember. The only Jefferson's I'm familiar with is the Ocean...and in my opinion, that is overhyped and overpriced...mainly a marketing gimmick. So many better bourbons at that price or less. Again, just my opinion.

Nice! I might take you up on that...just let me know what I'd owe you. Although I might see if I can find it locally...I'm probably going to run by Park Hill South this weekend. There are a couple other stores in that vicinity as well.
You wouldn't owe me a dime. You probably won't find it, I gave up on finding it after looking for three or four months, after I had bought a couple of bottles in town. I'm going to B&B to pick up some Elijah Craig and Early Times Bonded on Monday. I won't have it till mid to late next week. Otherwise I'd tell you to let me know when you were gonna be at Parkhill, and meet you there. I'll email you when I have it.

I like to google “best bargain bourbon” and read all the lists from various sites. Of course, there is no agreement but the descriptions are very educational.

I like to google “best bargain bourbon” and read all the lists from various sites. Of course, there is no agreement but the descriptions are very educational.
I do the same. I usually end up buying several of the bottles that routinely show up on most lists. One that I always see is Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, which is still the only single barrel that can be had for under $30, although it's creeping toward that. I love Evan products, but I've just never bought the Single Barrel for some reason. I found Evan BIB and Evan 1783 Small Batch yesterday, both for $12.99! I couldn't pass that up.

Henry McKenna 10-year BIB Single Barrel used to be under $30. I think MSRP is now $35, but it won big awards the past couple of years, and everybody bought it up. I found a bottle online for $75 and passed.

I had the Evan Williams Single Barrel many months ago, didn’t care for it all. Guess I’m kind of weird. Don’t care for Evan Williams line, Wellers and even Four Roses.

Check your email.

I actually got an email from Old Forester today. They are doing things different this year due to COVID. It said I should get an email on Sept 2nd with an opportunity to go online and buy. There are only 95 barrels worth, so it's going to go fast. The catch for me is, it has to be picked up curbside on September 9th or 10th at the distillery in Louisville, Ky. Only one bottle per household, name on purchase confirmation has to match ID. About a 10-hour drive, one way.
Got the email at 10:55 am this morning, repeatedly tried using the "Buy Now" button and it kept trying to load and timing out. I eventually got this screen...

1599075061265.png

Has anyone tried the OK Distillery bourbon, 1907? I hope it doesn’t suck.

Has anyone tried the OK Distillery bourbon, 1907? I hope it doesn’t suck.
Just looked it up. Apparently just a whiskey, not a bourbon, and it's blended. Who knows where they are sourcing it from, or if it's their own. If it is their own, it's only 2 to 3 years old, or maybe less. Looks really light in the bottle. They supposedly have a tasting room.

I've had Scissortail Bourbon out of Moore, and it's pretty good for a young bourbon. Well above the expectations I had for it, but not much depth.

Correct. They are sourcing it elsewhere. They have made their own as I understand it, it’s currently aging. This is a stopgap.

Thanks. I've been looking for George Dickel Bottled in Bond 11-year (2020 release). It's a $40 bottle of whiskey, but Blackwell's is charging $75 because of the demand. Ugh! But they have Noah's Mill Cask Strength for $58.

Hey Chris, on George Dickel Bib...

Where to buy

You can put George Dickel BiB, any store, 100 mi, your zip code. You'll find about 10 stores around Fayettville Arkansas and a few in MO. You have to check the stock with them, and the prices. But maybe you have a friend in Fayetteville to ship it to you, or plan on taking a trip there in the not so distant future.

I plan on going to visit an old roommate from TU in Yellville, Ar in the not so distant future. Fayettville is about halfway in between Tulsa and Yellville . When I go, I plan on checking the stock and prices before I go. Maybe I'll get some Rebel Yell while I'm in Yellville.

I don't know how limited the release was, and it's pretty late in the year. But I would like to find the 2019 13 year old Bourbon from George Dickel(BiB). I prefer it's mash bill better. I found where they said it was released in May of 2019, but did not see what month they released it in 2020. Was not drinking much bourbon till the second half of 2019, when I caught the bug.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT