ADVERTISEMENT

BOK Turnpike Classic

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001
Per Berry Tramel:

The college football season opens this month – doesn’t that sound good to say? – and one of the first kickoffs is Tulsa at OSU, on Aug. 31. And that venerable series now has a title sponsor.

The series between the Cowboys and the Golden Hurricane will be named the Bank of Oklahoma Turnpike Classic.

As series names go, it’s not at the top of the list. But it’s not awful. The Civil War (Oregon State-Oregon) or the Holy War (Utah-Brigham Young) or the Bedlam Series are juicier. The Egg Bowl (Ole Miss-Mississippi State) is more eclectic. The Territorial Cup (Arizona State-Arizona), the Iron Bowl (Alabama-Auburn), the Rocky Mountain Showdown (Colorado State-Colorado). There are lots of names out there.

The Cimarron Turnpike runs from west Tulsa to I-35 north of Perry, with a short spur on the western edge that goes to north Stillwater. So Turnpike Classic is an OK name for OSU-Tulsa. Seems like we used to call Oklahoma City-Tulsa minor league games in baseball and hockey the Turnpike Series; now that’s possible only in soccer.

I would prefer the word Cimarron in the name, because I love the word Cimarron. Sounds cool, and has an old-Oklahoma statehood ring to it. But Turnpike Classic is a decent name for the OSU-TU series. Now if only the schools will keep the series going.

OSU and Tulsa have met 71 times in football, dating back to 1914 and not counting a 1922 forfeit. OSU-Tulsa was played every year from 1926-65, then every year from 1981-96.

OSU’s only more common rival has been OU. Tulsa’s only more common rival has been Arkansas, and that series spans 72 games.

But OSU-Tulsa has been staged just four times in the 2000s – 2000 and 2011 in Tulsa; 2004 and 2010 in Stillwater.

The series continues with three games scheduled in 2019, 2020 and 2021. But after that, nothing is contracted.

When the series was annual, it alternated between Tulsa and Stillwater. That’s not feasible in the contemporary financial makeup of major college athletics. OSU would need a 2-for-1 setup. That’s hard for an in-state school like Tulsa to accept. But accept it Tulsa might.

“I’m open to it and we’ve had discussions about it,” TU athletic director Derrick Gragg told the Tulsa World last summer. “But at the end of the day, we’re always going to do what’s best for TU. As you can imagine, we’re talking to a lot of institutions about playing football and basketball in the future.”

Yes, there’s a basketball component. The OSU-Tulsa hoops series wavered over the years, too, though the schools have played in recent seasons.

“We like the idea of playing Tulsa in football and basketball on an annual basis,” said OSU athletic director Mike Holder. “This matchup brings a lot of passion on both sides. I’ve visited about this multiple times with Derrick Gragg, and I believe that he is open-minded about the concept.”

In the crazy world of college scheduling, where teams are crisscrossing the nation for games, you’d think an in-state series would be ideal. OSU is in a conference with West Virginia. Tulsa is in a conference with Connecticut, Temple and two Florida schools. Financially, the cost of purchasing home games is skyrocketing. Some schools are paying more than $1 million for an opponent to make an appearance.

OSU has scheduled recent 2-for-1 deals with South Alabama, Central Michigan, Texas-San Antonio and Louisiana-Lafayette.

Seems like something could be worked out with an OSU-Tulsa series. Sure, it’s hard for a school like Tulsa, which once had the Cowboys on the TU campus every other year, to accept a one-sided rotation system. But maybe compromise is possible. Maybe OSU-Tulsa could rotate between 2-for-1 and 3-for-2 models. That means over a 24-year period, Tulsa would play in Stillwater 15 times and host the Cowboys nine times. In a 2-for-1 setup, the breakdown would be 16 games in Stillwater and eight in Tulsa, over 24 years. One game difference. That seems like a small price to pay for the convenience, the stability and the history that an OSU-Tulsa series provides.

As Holder himself has admitted, the Cowboys playing in Tulsa has residual benefits for their massive alumni base in Green Country.

OSU-Tulsa is a series that needs an anchor. Heck, maybe Bank of Oklahoma can be that anchor.

“We’re thrilled to support this historic and exciting series between two of the state’s top college football programs,” said Pat Piper, executive vice president of Consumer Banking Services for BOK Financial. “Bank of Oklahoma’s beginnings go back to 1910 just before the start of this series, so it’s with particular pride that we partner on an event with such rich history and which brings together fans from across the state.”

I could see Tulsa signing off on a 2-1, 3-2, eight year deal, a 5-3 Stillwater/Tulsa split, which would be a 5.33-2.67 split using a straight 2-1.

I could see Tulsa signing off on a 2-1, 3-2, eight year deal, a 5-3 Stillwater/Tulsa split, which would be a 5.33-2.67 split using a straight 2-1.

I could see the schools agreeing to something like this. A 1-1 isn't going to happen.

Interesting that they will not do a 1-1 with a team that plays in a conference that has been rated higher than the Big 12 and their best team last year was run ruled by a team that could not even win its side of the American. If we are talking about a better program, I agree! OSU is not a premier program.

Reactions: TULSARISING
They did a 1-1 with South Alabama. They have no credibility. We can play over there and take their money, but if we are going to lose to a Top 10 team, I'd rather it be elsewhere where the payoff is better.

The OSU South Alabama contract is a 2-1. Games played in Stillwater in 2018 and 2020.

Why not call it the Osage Classic...might bring in some interest from the Osage nation. Tulsa County and Payne County border the largest county in the state. Turnpike is pretty generic and not even as good as the BackYard Bowl name the Jenks/Union game has. I like possibly incorporating Cimarron as well.

Rather than give the aggies a home advantage in the series, I would rather play schools like KU, KSU, Iowa St, TTech, TCU in a 1-1 series.

That would be sweet, does anyone believe that is remotely possible though?

Rather than give the aggies a home advantage in the series, I would rather play schools like KU, KSU, Iowa St, TTech, TCU in a 1-1 series.

KU said no. We had a home and home with TTech and WE cancelled it at the last minute. KSU has shown no interest to date in such an arrangement (they aren't doing anything with us at this point). Iowa State would be the best bet imo as we recently had such a series with them. With the Big12 playing 9 conference games and strongly suggesting to it's member that they play at least one game against a P5 opponent 1-1 contracts with the remaining two opponents become problematic at times if a school wants six home games.

You have to wonder how much that Tech thing hurt us with other mid-tier regional P5s. Frankly, if the payoff is the same, I'd rather just go to OSU, which is probably part of the thinking here. 1-1 with Vandy makes sense. Same with Ole Miss. The problem is they have girl's teams to fund, just like us, but their bills are even larger. If we are going to renew an old series like Iowa State, Minnesota is a good option. I'd like to see a game at LSU at night.

One problem or benefit (depending on one's perspective) of eliminating the OSU series is the financial windfall we receive from that home game. We charge upward of 4X our regular single ticket price for that game and it will still be our largest crowd. We've also packaged it with other games in the past in three game packs. Only OU can generate that type of revenue here.

One problem or benefit (depending on one's perspective) of eliminating the OSU series is the financial windfall we receive from that home game. We charge upward of 4X our regular single ticket price for that game and it will still be our largest crowd. We've also packaged it with other games in the past in three game packs. Only OU can generate that type of revenue here.
I'm sure Arkansas could too. If they'd ever grow some testicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawpoke87
I'm fine with the 2 for 1 in OSU's favor for the first series. I think Gragg should publicly agree to a 6 game series, the first being a 2 for 1 but then throw down the challenge to make the second 2 for 1 in favor of the team that won 2 out of 3 in the first series. This would mean Tulsa has to win in Stillwater to ever get to an even series over time. If we don't ever win in Stillwater then we don't deserve an even series. If we do win in Stillwater and at home then we have earned the right for the next 2 for 1. It would add huge interest and incentive to these gams.

KU said no. We had a home and home with TTech and WE cancelled it at the last minute. KSU has shown no interest to date in such an arrangement (they aren't doing anything with us at this point). Iowa State would be the best bet imo as we recently had such a series with them. With the Big12 playing 9 conference games and strongly suggesting to it's member that they play at least one game against a P5 opponent 1-1 contracts with the remaining two opponents become problematic at times if a school wants six home games.

Iowa State is booked solid through 2024.

We don't have an opening for a non-conference road game until 2023. We have openings for home games only in 2020, 2021 (2) & 2022. I'm afraid that we're going to start seeing 1 game contracts with FBS opponents to fill these slots.

Currently, the only FBS game on our future schedules is Central Ark in 2018.

Why don't we push for a longer contract like a 6-4 or 6-5 deal. At least it would be better than the 2-1. (Getting 40% or 45% of the games vs the 33% we get now)

Iowa State is booked solid through 2024.

We don't have an opening for a non-conference road game until 2023. We have openings for home games only in 2020, 2021 (2) & 2022. I'm afraid that we're going to start seeing 1 game contracts with FBS opponents to fill these slots.

Currently, the only FBS game on our future schedules is Central Ark in 2018.

I've been harping on this since before I moved from Tulsa at least. :-/

I think 1-1 would work, but you guys would have to pay us the same as we pay you for the home games
That's all nice and dandy to say we should compete equally to the p5's monetarily. As soon as we get in on the access to the championships, and the tv money you get as a p5 we will. That is a have's fan holding that over our head as a have's not fan.

Reactions: TULSARISING
We need to have this series. Not only is it a game we can win, but it is good for the state of Oklahoma. Many TU fans will go to Stillwater, thus making money for OSU and vise versa.

That's all nice and dandy to say we should compete equally to the p5's monetarily. As soon as we get in on the access to the championships, and the tv money you get as a p5 we will. That is a have's fan holding that over our head as a have's not fan.
Thats not our problem, why should we make less money, thats not how a business operates and unfortunately college football is a business

We need to have this series. Not only is it a game we can win, but it is good for the state of Oklahoma. Many TU fans will go to Stillwater, thus making money for OSU and vise versa.

Just this week I received an email indicating OSU fans could buy TU fans' ticket allotment to the game, that have already been returned.

Just this week I received an email indicating OSU fans could buy TU fans' ticket allotment to the game, that have already been returned.

Unfortunately, this isn't unusual. Unconfirmed word on the street was that Tulsa sold less than 800 tickets the last time we visited Stillwater.

While the 800 number is probably true, there were probably many more who bought them through other sites as we saw discussed on here. As with our home games, many will choose to just watch on TV.

While the 800 number is probably true, there were probably many more who bought them through other sites as we saw discussed on here. As with our home games, many will choose to just watch on TV.

That's true. I bought mine from a guy on the street moments before kickoff for a deep discount.

It doesn't help when one ticket is $75 per seat in the TU section. Heck the seats are behind the end zone, was discussing this with a buddy the other day, if you are the host, you should give your visiting fans a better section then behind the end zone . That's all college teams, not just OSU. There will probably be slot of TU fans in the OSU section for half the price. Heck, the section right beside the TU section is only $35

Reactions: astonmartin708
It doesn't help when one ticket is $75 per seat in the TU section. Heck the seats are behind the end zone, was discussing this with a buddy the other day, if you are the host, you should give your visiting fans a better section then behind the end zone . That's all college teams, not just OSU. There will probably be slot of TU fans in the OSU section for half the price. Heck, the section right beside the TU section is only $35

You can now get them on StubHub for as little as $15.

Reactions: theSeanDon
And if you roll up to your seat just a few minutes before kick-off, good luck getting your 14-inch-wide seat at Boone-Pickens. Two fatasses on a row will screw the whole thing. One of many reasons I won't go to Stillwater for a TU game.

Reactions: noble cane
The visitor section actually extends out to the 15, they are good seats

And if you roll up to your seat just a few minutes before kick-off, good luck getting your 14-inch-wide seat at Boone-Pickens. Two fatasses on a row will screw the whole thing. One of many reasons I won't go to Stillwater for a TU game.
This was the funniest thing I've heard all day lol

Reactions: TU_BLA
This was the funniest thing I've heard all day lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT