ADVERTISEMENT

Best chicken fried steak thread

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
We’ve had this talk a few times. It always ends up being Nelson’s, Atlas, the Brook, Charleston’s, or Bros. Houlighan.

There’s a new sheriff in town. Dilly Diner. It’s a monster served with eggs. Holy moly.

Went there. It’s just ok. Couldn’t hold Nelson’s jock.

Murphy’s in Bartlesville beats Clanton’s by a country mile. Their hot hamburger/chicken fried steak may be the best 1-2 punch in the region.

Murphy’s in Bartlesville beats Clanton’s by a country mile. Their hot hamburger/chicken fried steak may be the best 1-2 punch in the region.

Haven’t had the CFS at Murphy’s. I drive through there sometimes after court in Pawhuska ( I always get out of there at lunch and I’m not waiting for the “Pioneer woman’s“ food). It’s always the hot hamburger when I go. Will keep the case in mind.

Pioneer Woman’s place is the most overrated spot I’ve been to. Disappointing enough to put on the “do not return” list.

I always liked taking a basketball team to the Bartlesville youth tournament. We would go to Murphy’s both days and get hot burgers one day then fried steaks the next. Good stuff.

Pioneer Woman’s place is the most overrated spot I’ve been to. Disappointing enough to put on the “do not return” list.

Yeah, I edited my post with some of my thoughts about that deal. It’s impossible to get into, but I can’t tell why it would ever be worth the wait.

It’s good for Pawhuska but that’s about the only nice thing I can say. Hoping they get a decent restaurant there some day. I was in court the week McDonald’s open and you we have thought Michelin had given it two stars.

We went on a windy day like today. No waiting which was very surprising based on what I had heard, especially for a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, they had a guy at the door denying entrance due to the wind and asked us to go in through the store entrance down the street.

No big deal, until we get seated right inside that door and now the guy outside is gone. Every time it opened we had menus, napkins, etc blowing down the aisle. Of course there were no other tables for 5 available and the staff didn’t seem to care.

We locked the door from the inside several times but it kept getting reopened. Absolutely miserable.

We went on a windy day like today. No waiting which was very surprising based on what I had heard, especially for a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, they had a guy at the door denying entrance due to the wind and asked us to go in through the store entrance down the street.

No big deal, until we get seated right inside that door and now the guy outside is gone. Every time it opened we had menus, napkins, etc blowing down the aisle. Of course there were no other tables for 5 available and the staff didn’t seem to care.

We locked the door from the inside several times but it kept getting reopened. Absolutely miserable.

Awh, Bless your little heart. Couldn't resist, lol.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Funny how tastes differ.

Went to high school with the Pioneer Woman. Her food is OK. I could do without her monetizing false stereotypes about Oklahoma. If I was Attorney General she would get a nice C + D letter advising her to disclose she grew up 30 minutes from Pawhuska and her doctor’s daughter upbringing was far from what is portrayed in her books and TV show. And I am still close with her family and was one of the first hundred or so to subscribe to her blog in the early 2000s before she hired all the pros. My high school sweetheart is a regular on the show I’m told. I never watch it.

Went to Murphy’s every Saturday from age 3 until I got my drivers license. The HH is our Blessed Lord incarnate in food. So is the tossed salad with their house dressing. The steaks are surprisingly great too. CFS is A- but not Clanton’s. Granted Clanton’s can be hit or miss if it’s crowded. Maybe it’s just the unfamiliar that appeals to me after being a regular at Nelson’s, Murphy’s, Brothers and Tally for so long.

Reactions: Gold*
Yeah, not touching Pioneer woman on here. Next time Huffy wants to get a beer, maybe. The whole thing, man, the whole thing.

The last time I had to eat in Pawhuska, I went to Simple Simon’s. That’s what I think of their options, including Bad Brad’s.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah, not touching Pioneer woman on here. Next time Huffy wants to get a beer, maybe. The whole thing, man, the whole thing.

The last time I had to eat in Pawhuska, I went to Simple Simon’s. That’s what I think of their options, including Bad Brad’s.
Yeah I never got the Bad Brad’s thing. Didn’t he play a season or two of TU football? I’d love to see a thread on all the various merchants around Tulsa that had a year or two of indistinguished play for TU football and never graduated.

Craig Tate of Tate Boys Tire was on the 92 and 93 teams after NEO. Kept getting hurt and played sparingly but still had enough size and talent to get an invite to Chiefs camp. Jeez that guy could lift.

Reactions: Gold*
Next thing you’ll be telling us about phony coneys in OKC.

I'm a fan of Nelson's chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken. Brothers Houligan is always good...love their chicken livers.

If I remember right, seems like the chicken fry at Speedway Cafe was pretty tasty. Trying to remember if I've had it at Tally's. If you ever venture out to Coweta, the chicken fry at Dixie's Cafe is excellent.

RIP Bros. Houligan.

Where goest thou now for a legit chicken fry or a green bean burger?

47th & Yale closed?
I was talking about the original building. I’m old enough that I actually forgot about the Yale location. Only went there once. Had a bad experience and never went back.

I was talking about the original building. I’m old enough that I actually forgot about the Yale location. Only went there once. Had a bad experience and never went back.
Same exact thing. Went once, wasn't good, and never went back...but it hadn't been open long. Several people have gone in the last year and told me it was good. Might give it another shot.

So here's the list gathered from this thread. Let me know what I'm missing:

Nelson's
Kendall's (Noble)
Dilly Diner
Tally's Cafe
Bros. Houligan
Murphy's (B-ville)
Clanton's (Vinita)
The Brook
Charleston's
Atlas
Louie's

I’d probably add The Tavern and Mom’s Diner to that list. But on the lower end. For me, it’s Clanton’s, Nelson’s and Murphy’s and then everyone else.

Last edited:
Same exact thing. Went once, wasn't good, and never went back...but it hadn't been open long. Several people have gone in the last year and told me it was good. Might give it another shot.
I ate at the Bros. Houligan Yale location last week. Service was decent and the chicken fry was big and tasty. I love their green beans, and I don't usually eat them.

Nelson's
Kendall's (Noble)
Dilly Diner
Tally's Cafe
Bros. Houligan
Murphy's (B-ville)
Clanton's (Vinita)
The Brook
Charleston's
Atlas
Louie's
I'd throw The Mercantile in Pawhuska. (Pioneer Woman's place). The chicken fried steak there is really good

I could add Tiffanys in Noble as well... the ESPN guys eat there whenever they cover the Gooner games.. met Corso in there one time...

I'd throw The Mercantile in Pawhuska. (Pioneer Woman's place). The chicken fried steak there is really good

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

Nelson's
Kendall's (Noble)
Dilly Diner
Tally's Cafe
Bros. Houligan
Murphy's (B-ville)
Clanton's (Vinita)
The Brook
Charleston's
Atlas
Louie's

Atlas is gone. Went out of business some time last year. The downtown restaurants aren’t doing well outside of entertainment areas.

I've never been there. Curious why you both say that.
Some of it is the setting. It was crowded at like 11am. We were rushed by the staff. Some of it may be expectations. She has cook books so you expect something excellent or at least memorable/distinctive. The food was fine, including my CFS. It was just meh. I can and have done better at home using her recipe. You can get cheese fries anywhere. You expect Eskimo Joes cheese fries to be better … and they are. You build a destination restaurant you need to deliver on the promise of a memorable experience and what I was served was a filling lunch for a typical Tuesday eaten across the street from a courthouse in a ho-hum diner. At least in the diner you get a 74 year old waitress alternating between annoyed by you and treating you like a grandchild. Our service alternated between indifference and “are you still here?” and that was before we were served. If you happen to be in Pawhuska anyway and it happens to be the only place open you can eat there. It will be fine. Put the same food on a plate in Tulsa without her name on it and the place will close in 6 months.

Some of it is the setting. It was crowded at like 11am. We were rushed by the staff. Some of it may be expectations. She has cook books so you expect something excellent or at least memorable/distinctive. The food was fine, including my CFS. It was just meh. I can and have done better at home using her recipe. You can get cheese fries anywhere. You expect Eskimo Joes cheese fries to be better … and they are. You build a destination restaurant you need to deliver on the promise of a memorable experience and what I was served was a filling lunch for a typical Tuesday eaten across the street from a courthouse in a ho-hum diner. At least in the diner you get a 74 year old waitress alternating between annoyed by you and treating you like a grandchild. Our service alternated between indifference and “are you still here?” and that was before we were served. If you happen to be in Pawhuska anyway and it happens to be the only place open you can eat there. It will be fine. Put the same food on a plate in Tulsa without her name on it and the place will close in 6 months.

I understand the experience. This is not a place to just decide to go to. You have to be willing to stand in a line for 1-2 hours just to get inside (no waiting list or pagers to tell you to come back when your table is ready). We went when my sister from PA came into town. We visited the Tallgrass Prairie and took some pictures of bison. When you've got out of town guests they ask about the Pioneer Woman and her restaurant, so you try to go. I liked the CFS and I've also used her recipe with great results. The little accompaniments to the food were probably the biggest hit with our group...like my wife and daughter still gush over the homemade ranch (insert Okie jokes here)...and the blackberry lemonade was outstanding. Like I said, I liked the CFS mainly because it didn't feel like it was a super heavy dish like many CFS' can feel while maintaining the quality of a good hearty CFS. But yes, the service seemed rushed because the line outside usually goes 50-100 deep and they're trying to get as many people through as possible...but what restaurant doesn't feel like that...have you gone to Texas Roadhouse or Cheddar's in the past 10 years...same experience. I imagine Chip and Joanna Gaines' place in Waco is much the same (whoever thought anything about Waco would be destination weekend worthy?)

I understand the experience. This is not a place to just decide to go to. You have to be willing to stand in a line for 1-2 hours just to get inside (no waiting list or pagers to tell you to come back when your table is ready). We went when my sister from PA came into town. We visited the Tallgrass Prairie and took some pictures of bison. When you've got out of town guests they ask about the Pioneer Woman and her restaurant, so you try to go. I liked the CFS and I've also used her recipe with great results. The little accompaniments to the food were probably the biggest hit with our group...like my wife and daughter still gush over the homemade ranch (insert Okie jokes here)...and the blackberry lemonade was outstanding. Like I said, I liked the CFS mainly because it didn't feel like it was a super heavy dish like many CFS' can feel while maintaining the quality of a good hearty CFS. But yes, the service seemed rushed because the line outside usually goes 50-100 deep and they're trying to get as many people through as possible...but what restaurant doesn't feel like that...have you gone to Texas Roadhouse or Cheddar's in the past 10 years...same experience. I imagine Chip and Joanna Gaines' place in Waco is much the same (whoever thought anything about Waco would be destination weekend worthy?)
Chris Gaines’ restaurant in Stillwater was pretty good too while it lasted. I’ll never understand why people said he never should have opened it, but I get that he closed it quickly and he wants to do something else for the money.

Chris Gaines’ restaurant in Stillwater was pretty good too while it lasted. I’ll never understand why people said he never should have opened it, but I get that he closed it quickly and he wants to do something else for the money.
As in Garth's alter ego "Chris Gaines"?

So of course the experience of dining in Pioneer Woman's or Chip and Joanna's place is the biggest part of the deal. People can be made to think things are special.

Watch this mini-documentary. It is truly hilarious. A reporter managed to get a super-exclusive restaurant rated #1 on TripAdvisor in London (out of 18,000 restaurants). Problem is, it did not actually exist.

Fake restaurant- hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
You can scroll up a ways and find my review from our one and done experience.
It's not necessarily a trip I'd just want to make and go eat at the place...we did b/c it was a touristy thing my sister wanted to see. If my MIL or my mom came down and wanted to go, we probably would to oblige them. But as I said, the food was good (IMO) and I thought the CFS was at least worthy of being included on the list as it was tasty and rivaled some of the places mentioned (again, IMO).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT