ADVERTISEMENT

Best chicken fried steak thread

Evelyn's Soul Food Cuisine, up by the airport, makes an excellent chicken fried steak. The only drawback is that if you get the chicken fried steak it means you didn't get the fried chicken, which is the best in Tulsa, hands down.

Last edited:
Evelyn's Soul Food Cuisine, up by the airport, makes an excellent chicken friend steak. The only drawback is that if you get the chicken fried steak it means you didn't get the fried chicken, which is the best in Tulsa, hands down.
There is an incredible lack of good, down home, non-chain fried chicken places in Tulsa.

Evelyn's Soul Food Cuisine, up by the airport, makes an excellent chicken friend steak. The only drawback is that if you get the chicken fried steak it means you didn't get the fried chicken, which is the best in Tulsa, hands down.
5009acf3-1656-4c1a-a90f-f5702b88283b_text.gif

I go to Pawhuska a lot for work. There just ain’t much up there. Andy’s in Barnsdall or Mac’s in Skiatook are a better call. If you feel adventurous and have the time, take Huffy’s advice on Murphy’s in BARTLESVILLE and reserve some time for a nap after.

The locals all go to this Prairie Dog place. It’s hot dogs from what I understand. There’s a Simple Simon’s. The McDonald’s is bad (I was in Court the day it opened and you would have thought a Michelin star place had opened). Bad Brad’s seems good in theory but it’s just a standard Okie barbecue joint. Not as good as Mac’s. I got invited to go some other place up there once and then that attorney passed away.

There’s a longer story, but outside of what it did to spruce up a really depressed area, I’m just no that interested in Pioneer woman. But like a lot of things, let the idiots spend their money and leave the good places alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I go to Pawhuska a lot for work. There just ain’t much up there. Andy’s in Barnsdall or Mac’s in Skiatook are a better call. If you feel adventurous and have the time, take Huffy’s advice on Murphy’s in Barnsdall and reserve some time for a nap after.

The locals all go to this Prairie Dog place. It’s hot dogs from what I understand. There’s a Simple Simon’s. The McDonald’s is bad (I was in Court the day it opened and you would have thought a Michelin star place had opened). Bad Brad’s seems good in theory but it’s just a standard Okie barbecue joint. Not as good as Mac’s. I got invited to go some other place up there once and then that attorney passed away.

There’s a longer story, but outside of what it did to spruce up a really depressed area, I’m just no that interested in Pioneer woman. But like a lot of things, let the idiots spend their money and leave the good places alone.
Murphy’s is in Bartlesville, as Gold well knows. That’s a typo. And the Pioneer Woman grew up in Bville, despite what she tells people on television.

Murphy’s is in Bartlesville, as Gold well knows. That’s a typo. And the Pioneer Woman grew up in Bville, despite what she tells people on television.
I thought she was "from" LA and met Ladd at some point. BTW, the walk-on TU keeper from the late 80s/early 90s is married to Ladd's cousin and they frequent the ranch. That family is also somehow related to the original Bad Brad.

I thought she was "from" LA and met Ladd at some point. BTW, the walk-on TU keeper from the late 80s/early 90s is married to Ladd's cousin and they frequent the ranch. That family is also somehow related to the original Bad Brad.
Fiction. Father is a surgeon in Bartlesville. She was born and went to high school there. She graduated from USC and returned home the next day. She met Ladd a few months later in a local dive bar.

Fiction. Father is a surgeon in Bartlesville. She was born and went to high school there. She graduated from USC and returned home the next day. She met Ladd a few months later in a local dive bar.
Good to know. Only ever knew the Food Network narrative of her being a big city CA girl meeting a country boy

The whole thing is BS, which goes back to my point of, “hey at least some people got jobs in Pawhuska and they leased some space.”

Some of my best stories involve court in Pawhuska. Monday morning after Cavalcade is always interesting up there.

Had the CFS at Chowhouse in Greenwood. Excellent. I’d add it to our list. Not worth a special trip downtown, but if you are eating downtown anyway it is very much worth going out of your way. There’s a reason it’s on the cover of their webpage.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Had the CFS at Chowhouse in Greenwood. Excellent. I’d add it to our list. Not worth a special trip downtown, but if you are eating downtown anyway it is very much worth going out of your way. There’s a reason it’s on the cover of their webpage.

Is that the same as Caz's Chowhouse? I've had their CFS and it was really good. I've also had the chicken and waffles which was also really good.

Is that the same as Caz's Chowhouse? I've had their CFS and it was really good. I've also had the chicken and waffles which was also really good.
Yes. I guess they dropped the Caz's. Not sure why. But it still has good comfort food grub.

Table 5 in Peggs, open Thursday through Sunday. Also Kendall's in Noble, have a $45 chicken fried steak, if you finish everything, it's free.

Reactions: noble cane

Dont compare to Tiffany's or Kendall's in Noble... I will take you there.. let me know when...

I remember the first time I went in Caz’s chowhouse. We had spent years at Caz’s bar. Lots of infamous stories. Anywho, we go and there’s no beer on tap. I’ve never been back.

I remember the first time I went in Caz’s chowhouse. We had spent years at Caz’s bar. Lots of infamous stories. Anywho, we go and there’s no beer on tap. I’ve never been back.
I had a Tulsa Flag. Pretty sure it was a draught. I’d put the experience at 8.5/10. CFS was a 9. I can also see why some people wouldn’t think much of the ambiance. But I was cool with it.

Last edited:
My Dad wanted a CFS and we decided to try the place in Mounds Oklahoma - Cafe 75. Not the best I have ever had but it was very good. Real mash potatoes and the onion rings were excellent. Worth the drive.

Last edited:
My Dad wanted a CFS and we decided to try the place in Mounds Oklahoma - Cafe 75. Not the best I have ever had but it was very good. Real mash potatoes and the onion rings were excellent. Worth the drive.
It was my Dad’s last CFS, he passed away Dec. 5th, and he said it was a good one. He also watched his last TU football game on TV as we pulled out the win against ECU. He saw his first TU game in 44 or 45 when he talked his older sister into driving him to Tulsa from Shidler. He was a fan from that day. Interestingly there has been quite a bit of talk about Wizbang (also known as Denoya) from the publicity of Killers of the Flower Moon, Dad was born there in 32.

It was my Dad’s last CFS, he passed away Dec. 5th, and he said it was a good one. He also watched his last TU football game on TV as we pulled out the win against ECU. He saw his first TU game in 44 or 45 when he talked his older sister into driving him to Tulsa from Shidler. He was a fan from that day. Interestingly there has been quite a bit of talk about Wizbang (also known as Denoya) from the publicity of Killers of the Flower Moon, Dad was born there in 32.
I’m so sorry to hear that. He sounds like he was a great one.

Wouldn’t surprise me. I haven’t been up there since CoVid.

Even if it’s not worth the drive, not a lot of safe choices in that area.

I miss really good CFS. In NC about the only place with a decent one is Texas Road House.

• Wow
I see Justin Thompson has jumped in the ring -- at least with a CFC. Don't know if there is a CFS on the menu, but I would expect so. Anybody tried Isla's Southern Kitchen across from ONEOk Field???

65bc30a1d85b5.png

I see Justin Thompson has jumped in the ring -- at least with a CFC. Don't know if there is a CFS on the menu, but I would expect so. Anybody tried Isla's Southern Kitchen across from ONEOk Field???

View attachment 94
No, but looking at their menu there sure as all heck ain’t no pimento cheese gravy on a Hot Brown and Hoppin John ain’t an entree neither. Gonna pass. The menu reads like something somebody in DC or Philly thinks is southern food.

Justin knows what he’s doing, usually.

I’ve been to Isla’s. I thought Isla’s was ok to good. didn’t think the CFS was exceptional, but then I looked down and I’d basically cleaned the plate. I thought the drinks there were weird and it was a weird energy. It was packed and the parking sucked, but maybe that’s not all bad. I switched to beer (they have their own Cabin Boys brew) and that was a wise choice.

It’s weird to me that Fixins also opened up. Lots of emphasis on that type of cuisine for one area of town. Typical Tulsa.

Any tried the CFS at The Feed Lot in Haskell?
Haven't eaten there since it was Local Flavor, which moved to Branson. I went in about 5 months ago with a buddy (his daughter works there), and they had a bunch of folks in from a softball tournament. It was 20 minutes before we were able to order, and after another 20 minutes, they had not started on our food yet, so we canceled the order and ate at Kim's Coneys in Coweta.

I don't think that is common -- had more to do with the large softball group that ordered right when we got there. I was going to get their steakfinger basket, which locals say is great.

Reactions: lawpoke87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT