ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of old MVC rivals game thread

The UH ass whipping cost TU a lot of TU attendance tonight.
Now, let’s take this effort and roll Temple!

Not down low.

All the WSU fans around us bought their tix way back in December. I was curios because when I bought ours last week there were only 3 tix in the section on stub hub.

A lot of our season ticket holders / donors turned their tix back to tu long before the season started...

My only complaint is I would of liked to see the go ahead 3 go to taplin. Have a play drawn up for him. I understand Henderson getting it but Taplin was on fire. Other then that it was one of the funnest games I've been to in a long time.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Coach said the play was a dual option. Taplin was supposed to drive to the bucket for the tie if he had a lane and if not they had a screen set up for Henderson to take a three. He said the team executed what was drawn up well.

Coach said the play was a dual option. Taplin was supposed to drive to the bucket for the tie if he had a lane and if not they had a screen set up for Henderson to take a three. He said the team executed what was drawn up well.
Agreed. WSU overplayed Taplin’s baseline drive and Henderson came off a screen and had a pretty clean look from the same place he hit the game tying shot against UCONN. I have no issues with how the play was executed. Heck the shot went half way down before popping out.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Not a scoop fan, but his article was good. It should make all TU fans sick that Greg Marshall called the Reynolds center “Koch South”.

Bet he didn't write an article stating the same thing about OSU.(# of OSU/Wichita fans) Ratio was similar from what I heard from Wichita fans.

Reactions: TU 1978
TU played a great game. The last 7 minutes of the first half were a disaster though. Had WSU all around me, overall they were great fans and I enjoyed the in game conversation. I have been going to TU bball games for about 55 years and this is the first time I have ever seen the opponents have more fans than us. I think there must have been about 5,500 to 6,000 Shockers at the game. TU averaged their typical 2,000 + or - fans. Getting to the line and losing the offensive rebound number was the difference. Overall I thought the officiating was good. They made some bad calls both ways, I think they evened out. I am glad to have WSU back in the same league, they have always been my favorite rivalry game in bball. If Haith didn't know before, he now knows what type of players he has to recruit if he wants to win the AAC!
I'm also thrilled to be in the AAC with the great city of Tulsa. As I mentioned in another post, the old MVC rivalry between WSU and Tulsa was one of the greatest ever. The way Pressey, Harris and company could suddenly take over the game defensively midway through the 2nd half was amazing. A Shocker fan could not help buy love to hate those guys, but we also could not help but respect them. When we finally got to them in Antoine Carr's senior year, it was one of the most exciting times of my years of following the Shockers.

Tulsa played really well Saturday and hopefully will use that game as a springboard through the rest of the year.

Tell me about your recruits for 2018.

I'm also thrilled to be in the AAC with the great city of Tulsa. As I mentioned in another post, the old MVC rivalry between WSU and Tulsa was one of the greatest ever. The way Pressey, Harris and company could suddenly take over the game defensively midway through the 2nd half was amazing. A Shocker fan could not help buy love to hate those guys, but we also could not help but respect them. When we finally got to them in Antoine Carr's senior year, it was one of the most exciting times of my years of following the Shockers.

Tulsa played really well Saturday and hopefully will use that game as a springboard through the rest of the year.

Oh god! You brought up recruits on the free board. Can't wait to see all the negative Nancy's come respond. We haven't done phenomenal on our recruiting, had a decent amount of near whiffs. We went all JC so far. We've got one more to grab.

We'll have SF Horne who is a transfer from Nebraska that starts playing next year. He didn't look bad in the scrimmages at the beginning of the season. Then we have SF Moore who played at St Louis and left for a JC when Ford got the job coaching there.(He redshirted at the JC so he'd have 3 years for us.) Not bad stats his freshman year. Another big man is 6'10" PF Hewitt who looks pretty good this season at his JC, putting up some decent stats. Most people think he will be good for the team. One recruit might be a dud, SG Chris Barnes who not much of the board is too high on. We'll see. They're all 3 stars.

Last edited:

PS When Horne committed to Nebraska, you were recruiting him.

Horne was rated #122 nationally by Rivals. For Tulsa, that's one of, if not, the highest ranked player we've signed. Aside from Nebraska, he had offers from Clemson, Minnesota, Kansas St, West Virginia, and Wichita St, among others. In 12 min per game as a Freshman @Neb., he avg'd 4pts and 2rbs. Zeke Moore, transfer from SLU, avg'd 5pts and 2rbs in 20 mpg as a Freshman. Offers from New Mexico, UTEP, and Pittsburgh. Both should contribute immediately. Unsure about the other two, Barnes and Hewitt.

Actually I was referring to the rivalry going back to the Jim King (TU) and Dave Stallworth (WSU) days from the 60's!

My only complaint is I would of liked to see the go ahead 3 go to taplin. Have a
play drawn up for him. I understand Henderson getting it but Taplin was on fire.
Other then that it was one of the funnest games I've been to in a long time.

If you saw a replay of the Henderson shot, you would have realized that it lacked
only 3 or 4 inches from going in.....I thought it was a really good release of the
ball given the situation.....Henderson has came on to convince me he is a really
good shooter under pressure.....

Good game indeed!.....We came so very close!

Actually I was referring to the rivalry going back to the Jim King (TU) and Dave
Stallworth (WSU) days from the 60's!

Wow! You're going back a ways.....I have always thought the Stallworth/Bowman/
Kelly Pete teams were some of the very best that Wichita has had....As I
remember, Stallworth had some heart issues that cut his post-WSU career
very short.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT