ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of old MVC rivals game thread

Haith just can't figure out how to defend the 3.

Perhaps he just doesn't understand that a shot made behind that arch line counts for 3 points, not 2.

Even the blind squirrel can find a nut on occasion.

As for the drunk Wichithole State fans, they're in the big city where they have alkeehall available to them - what else is there to do in Wichithole but stay drunk.

Lol... yea, since there is such a HUGE difference between the two cities.

Tulsa playing well... the best I’ve seen them play this year. Great game!

There have been some lapses but overall we’ve played very good D tonight. The game isn’t close because WSU has played poorly, it’s close because TU has played well. We just need to play good D for another 2 minutes.

That three was about as close as you can come without it going down.

That was in and out!

Good game!

Play for the win!

Love it!

Fun game.

Boys played well but the talent difference was obvious.

Good game!

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Damn, that was a close one. Proud of the guys even if I’m not happy with the result.

We fought back and had a chance in the end, im not pissed with that loss.

they-are-who-we-thought-they-were.jpg

People complain about the calls.. but you gotta knock the champ out to win the scorecard....

Most people aren’t complaining. I’m the worst at that. There were some little things but that was relatively well officiated.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We did some stuff Wichita State hasn’t seen yet. Shamet struggled to stay with Taplin off the screens. We played well, but we gave away a few too. The last 5 minutes of the 1st half was the difference in this one. I don’t want to see us with another Houston effort this season. We all know this team can play with anyone in this league. I think they know this now too. Heck, every time WSU punched us, we punched back.

Time to punch Temple!

Wichita St was called for 1 shooting foul all game. ONE! That is all I need to say on the biased officiating. Team played their hearts out tonight.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Nothing to be ashamed of tonight. We played hard and we played well against a really good team. The game came down to the final shot.

We need more of an inside game. Artison just couldn't handle their bigs and when Jeffries fouled out, Igbanu and Etou had to step up. They played well, but having a true center would have made a huge difference for us in this game.

The WSU fans near me continued to get worse throughout the game... again, they must not sell beer at Koch Arena. Otherwise, I'm not sure anyone would want to attend a game there with so many horrible things said to little kids cheering.

Lastly, shame on the city of Tulsa (again) for letting another team go 50/50 with us in our arena. I love Tulsa, I love living here, I'd be fine if I lived here forever, but it pissess me off to no end that the citizens of Tulsa refuse to support their local university. It's a damn shame. I get that some think TU is snooty, but anyone who's come to a game in the last several years knows that isnt the case. We usually have a good product on the field/court, we have very nice amenities throughout both venues (which are also nice), and traffic, ticketing, and the walk to the stadium isnt anything like what one endures at most D1 sporting events. I wish I had the answer to this, but I will continue to shake my head at the fact that the city of Tulsa refuses to support the University of Tulsa.

TU played a great game. The last 7 minutes of the first half were a disaster though. Had WSU all around me, overall they were great fans and I enjoyed the in game conversation. I have been going to TU bball games for about 55 years and this is the first time I have ever seen the opponents have more fans than us. I think there must have been about 5,500 to 6,000 Shockers at the game. TU averaged their typical 2,000 + or - fans. Getting to the line and losing the offensive rebound number was the difference. Overall I thought the officiating was good. They made some bad calls both ways, I think they evened out. I am glad to have WSU back in the same league, they have always been my favorite rivalry game in bball. If Haith didn't know before, he now knows what type of players he has to recruit if he wants to win the AAC!

It wasn’t luck. We were playing well and with energy. Right now shots stopped falling and he auto bench with Jeffries and Taplin is killing us.

Last 6 minutes of the half was garbage from us. Junior forcing crap double teamed. Henderson forcing 3s. Run some motion offense. Wheeler never needs to be on the court if we have a chance to go offense for defense.
I think pulling them was the right call this time. Joiner just wasn't ready, experienced enough to be forced to play point guard under this kind of pressure yet. We lost a lot at the end of the first half with Joiner having to take over for Taplin.

Last edited:
They get breaks because they are physical. You can’t call them all. I agree there is disparity in what’s getting called, but that’s not why we are losing. We just aren’t active enough on defense and not big enough inside.
No Zelton, nuff said. There were some calls that didn't go our way, but Gold is 100% right, that ain't the reason we lost. The refs in Houston intentionally called it the right way to begin our big fall in Houston, but not in this game.

Reactions: Gold*
TU played a great game. The last 7 minutes of the first half were a disaster though. Had WSU all around me, overall they were great fans and I enjoyed the in game conversation. I have been going to TU bball games for about 55 years and this is the first time I have ever seen the opponents have more fans than us. I think there must have been about 5,500 to 6,000 Shockers at the game. TU averaged their typical 2,000 + or - fans. Getting to the line and losing the offensive rebound number was the difference. Overall I thought the officiating was good. They made some bad calls both ways, I think they evened out. I am glad to have WSU back in the same league, they have always been my favorite rivalry game in bball. If Haith didn't know before, he now knows what type of players he has to recruit if he wants to win the AAC!
Heck, the people who sit in front of us (TU season ticket holders) were wearing WSU gear tonight. They’re there every game in TU blue...little odd seeing them in yellow.

Big huge funkin' whitehead is a poor weather fan, couldn't believe the few breaks from his reality when he actually said something good, then he said something bad.

It was nice to see the students at the game and actually into the game. Hopefully that carries over to next weekend against Memphis.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Haith just can't figure out how to defend the 3.

Perhaps he just doesn't understand that a shot made behind that arch line counts for 3 points, not 2.

I used to think that was true, but our statistics on three pointing shooting defense aren’t as bad this year. Last I looked it was pretty good.

You say a lot of stupid crap. If you actually looked at numbers and facts like the rest of us, people might not dislike you so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT