ADVERTISEMENT

@ Arkansas in 2018

Assume it's because we desperately need the money

At least we're not cancelling a home and home with Texas Tech for a one and done in Pigville like last time.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Ugh. I really don't think Gragg understands how much TU fans hate playing in Fayetteville. I swore that the last game would be my last trip there.

Don't go. No TU fan should. Let Gragg and admin know that without there being a return trip, why the hell should we waste our money on an $80 ticket to hike a f---ing mountain in Deliverance country to get screwed by SEC refs and to hear 80k rednecks calling their wives

I loved playing there.
I'm sure your experience playing there is far different than that of a fan. It's not even about having to go there and play even...it's more of their self-righteous arrogance of demanding a one game deal. At some point we need to demand a little bit of respect and just say no until they give a home and home deal. Let them fill their schedule with craptastic state.

FWIW, I can also see Coach Monty being on board with the chance to pop Texas and Arkansas in the mouth on their fields in the same year.

Reactions: TU 1978
Look I get it. They don't see us as equals. That chaps our asses. But IMO that's what makes it fun. Pay us 7 figures to roll down 412 and then roll the ball out there and give us a chance to measure ourselves in a great environment. I've been once as a player, loved it. Twice as a fan. Hated the results, still loved the environment. Hostile is fun.

No way. Go anywhere else for a payday.

You are right it is probably just dealing with the budget problems.

Sucks we are in this situation.

I have no issues with scheduling an SEC team. My problem is that it's never anywhere close to a level playing field over there due to officiating. Going back to a place where you haven't won in 40 years and being forced to play Arkansas and the officials once again isn't something I look forward too. I would rather us play a "payday game" just about anywhere but Arkansas. Hate to give them the satisfaction again.

Maybe Monty thinks he'll have a pretty good team and would like a B-12 win and an SEC win to help SOS and in the polls.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I totally get it. The deck is stacked. But find a way to win in their house and it's epic. That's what makes it fun. The refs weren't trying to help us in south bend either. That's what makes it so damn sweet when it happens.

I don't give two sh*ts or have any significant memories about when I beat Texas St Or Ark St. But I can guarantee you if I would have been playing when we went into South Bend and beat that ass I would have cherished that for the rest of my life. I know I do as a fan. To each his own. I'll go.

Go to Auburn or LSU or A&M even. Just not Arkansas.

Let me add that whenever we do this it means yet another FCS team on the schedule. That really sucks for season ticket holders.

Don't go. No TU fan should. Let Gragg and admin know that without there being a return trip, why the hell should we waste our money on an $80 ticket to hike a f---ing mountain in Deliverance country to get screwed by SEC refs and to hear 80k rednecks calling their wives

$80 tickets? The last time we played, I bought 3 tickets for $10 total from a nice guy out front. I've been to almost 20 games over there and always have a good time. Much better atmosphere than anywhere else within reasonable driving distance.

Reactions: TulsaCane95
It chaps my ass to be reminded that we gave OSU a 3 for 1.

2 for 1 maybe, but 3, come on.

It chaps my ass to be reminded that we gave OSU a 3 for 1.

2 for 1 maybe, but 3, come on.

We signed another 2 for 1 w/ OSU. The game in Stoolwater this yr. is to finish off the last 2 for 1 contract. (Remember OSU AD Holder is "open" to playing Tulsa every year, Wonder if any further discussions are going on w/ extending that series?)

For the Hawg game, wasn't Monty contacted B4 TU AD Gregg signed off on the Big $$$$ payday game? I'm sure Monty had some input B4 the deal was finalized.

I guess I don't recall us not having plenty of opportunity to pull it off in 2012 despite those evil SEC refs.

Y'all are gonna complain when TU can't pay Monty what he's worth in a couple years but aren't willing to take two 7 figure games in a year while paying cheap for Central Ark to come here? Also, I'd rather play a big time team where we can actually travel than USC, Michigan, Florida, Clemson or anywhere else. Fayetteville isn't a terrible place for fun and Austin is just plain awesome.

Maybe Monty thinks he'll have a pretty good team and would like a B-12 win and an SEC win to help SOS and in the polls.
Projecting forward to that season, we should be absolutely stacked on offense with a Senior QB starting his 2nd season or a Sophomore QB starting his 2nd season and a stable of WRs any school will be jealous of. The question will be if our D can be physical enough up front to limit an effective running game and not get burned on the occasional pass. Arkansas is a B1G team playing in the SEC

I guess I don't recall us not having plenty of opportunity to pull it off in 2012 despite those evil SEC refs.
We had several down-and goal situations and just couldn't put the ball in the end zone. In a way it was very reminiscent of the OU game in 2005 where TU should have won and was better on the offensive side of the ball and had the game in line for a win until Adrian Peterson happened in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
We signed another 2 for 1 w/ OSU. The game in Stoolwater this yr. is to finish off the last 2 for 1 contract. (Remember OSU AD Holder is "open" to playing Tulsa every year, Wonder if any further discussions are going on w/ extending that series?)

For the Hawg game, wasn't Monty contacted B4 TU AD Gregg signed off on the Big $$$$ payday game? I'm sure Monty had some input B4 the deal was finalized.
This year's game with OSU was moved to this year from to accommodate OSU's schedule when the Big XII went to the 9-game round robin conference schedule (don't remember the exact year).

I don't think anyone is complaining about playing Arkansas, but the unevenness of the scheduling...like all home games for Arkansas. The one game deals with Ohio State and Texas are fine...it's not like it's a recurring thing. But Arkansas should at least have the decency to give us a 2 for 1. It wouldn't hurt their scheduling or image. It always seems we are an afterthought to their scheduling too as we always seem to be the call when they lose a scheduled game with someone...this one replaces Michigan which bailed on the series.

Projecting forward to that season, we should be absolutely stacked on offense with a Senior QB starting his 2nd season or a Sophomore QB starting his 2nd season and a stable of WRs any school will be jealous of. The question will be if our D can be physical enough up front to limit an effective running game and not get burned on the occasional pass. Arkansas is a B1G team playing in the SEC
Lots of replacements on the line in 18 though. But I'm confident Monty will find a combination that's good for him.

Y'all are gonna complain when TU can't pay Monty what he's worth in a couple years but aren't willing to take two 7 figure games in a year while paying cheap for Central Ark to come here? Also, I'd rather play a big time team where we can actually travel than USC, Michigan, Florida, Clemson or anywhere else. Fayetteville isn't a terrible place for fun and Austin is just plain awesome.
If this game pays for Monty's contract, I'm all for it!

There is only one Arkansas contract "in Arkansas" I'd accept and that's playing in LR, not F-Ville. (Arkansas has lost in Little Rock to ULM 34-31 in 2012 and to Toledo 16-12 in 2015). At least we have a chance there. I've been to too many games and got screwed in F-Ville. But of course Gragg doesn't really care about a fair contract . IMO.

Distance from F-ville to LR is almost 200 miles and about 270 from Tulsa to LR. Call it our version of the Texas- OU game in Dallas.

Last edited:
I noticed another former player on Twitter pretty excited about this development.

The drastically different perspectives are really interesting. Seems like the people who actually live(d) Tulsa vs Errybody are on the same page.

Food for thought for me.

I'm fine with it, if it is the football program making the decision. I have a problem with it, if the money is going to be used to buy more solar panels for the tennis center or so the girl's rowing team can go to Washington and Massachusetts in the same year, etc. Or even worse, because the conference officials are encouraging it to raise the profile of the league.

On the other hand, I especially like it if the reason we got passed over for some of the bowls last year was because of scheduling. See a problem? Fix it. Pat Hill put Fresno State on the map with his anyone anywhere policy. And he backed it up most of the time.

You can't complain about being in a mid tier conference and denied the opportunity to raise money and compete out of one side of your mouth, then also complain about road scheduling two top tier teams. Vanderbilt plays the likes of UF, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, etc. on the road every year and with refs worse than the mixed crew you get in a OOC game. Same story with Northwestern and Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc.

I like the idea of Monty being able to sit in recruits living rooms in Houston and Bentonville, etc. and tell kids that they might have dreamed about playing for the Horns and Arky, but those schools aren't interested in you even though you are good enough. Come play for us and we will show them who is good enough together. One of the few things Todd Graham actually backed up is he told those kids they were good enough to beat Notre Dame on the road, and then they went out and did it. That type of thing changes people's perceptions of themselves for the rest of their lives.

I hate those jerks just as much as anybody. Whining about the refs thirty years ago doesnt recover Rubley's fumble or change Whitmore out of the wildcat. You have to slay your demons, not pray for forgiveness that you failed to confront them.

If Monty wants to stand up in front of the team in the locker room before kickoff and tell them that the media is calling this a bodybag game, then have Kyle Grooms drag in a red bodybag and then open it to reveal to the team a gutted hog in it, they can get in touch with me to get a check to make that happen.

Get the Ruder ready and tear them apart.

#teamerrbody

I totally get it. The deck is stacked. But find a way to win in their house and it's epic. That's what makes it fun. The refs weren't trying to help us in south bend either. That's what makes it so damn sweet when it happens.

I don't give two sh*ts or have any significant memories about when I beat Texas St Or Ark St. But I can guarantee you if I would have been playing when we went into South Bend and beat that ass I would have cherished that for the rest of my life. I know I do as a fan. To each his own. I'll go.
This. 100 times, this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT