ADVERTISEMENT

@ Arkansas in 2018

We've got them scheduled home and away and I ask myself why for that reason.

Arkansas and Oklahoma State are trying to cut into our recruiting in Texas. I think this is a great opportunity to make a lasting impression on College Football. This could move the conference into the National Championship bracket expansion.

I think Arkie U went to Colorado for medicinal purposes!

Previously it was stated TU might play in Little Rock, by state law Arkie U is required to play at least 1 game a year there.

Arkansas and Oklahoma State are trying to cut into our recruiting in Texas. I think this is a great opportunity to make a lasting impression on College Football. This could move the conference into the National Championship bracket expansion.

Yeah... cause big 12 and SEC schools are after all our 2 stars...

Reactions: eastcane
Yeah... cause big 12 and SEC schools are after all our 2 stars...
I see your not paying any attention to Texas players when they have a choice between Oklahoma State or Tulsa. Those two star players become 3 star players during the season and stay loyal to the team who believed in them before the big school begin to care.

Another reason to avoid attending any sporting event in the state of Arkansas...just signed a bill into law allowing concealed handguns in stadiums. There's a story on Fox Sport.com about it. Teams should just boycott playing there now. It's bad enough with batteries and plastic bottle raining down from the stands, now you get a 20-30k drunk rednecks with guns...sounds like my idea of a shooting spree waiting to happen. Does Little Rock stand to host any NCAA tournament games in the near future? Pretty sure the NCAA will avoid that now. Of course our ridiculous legislature is about to pass the same.

Another reason to avoid attending any sporting event in the state of Arkansas...just signed a bill into law allowing concealed handguns in stadiums. There's a story on Fox Sport.com about it. Teams should just boycott playing there now. It's bad enough with batteries and plastic bottle raining down from the stands, now you get a 20-30k drunk rednecks with guns...sounds like my idea of a shooting spree waiting to happen. Does Little Rock stand to host any NCAA tournament games in the near future? Pretty sure the NCAA will avoid that now. Of course our ridiculous legislature is about to pass the same.
I just imagine a terrorist attack. Someone's going to come in and start blasting. There will be thousands of shrieking fans running for exits, and no one is going to know who is doing the shooting, so even if the law abiding citizens with guns wanted to defend themselves they probably wouldn't be able to without injuring someone else.

I don't understand why a bunch of armed officers is not a enough. Drunk people with guns is not a win.

Apparently the Arkansas State Senate has had a change of heart and has filed an amendment limiting your carry options at certain sporting events. Suppose someone at UA might have started chirping about what a freaking nightmare this could have created. Tweet I saw was a sports journalist who said "AR Senate apparently has second thoughts about letting thousands of alcohol impaired fans into Razorback stadium with concealed weapons". Ya think?

Apparently the Arkansas State Senate has had a change of heart and has filed an amendment limiting your carry options at certain sporting events. Suppose someone at UA might have started chirping about what a freaking nightmare this could have created. Tweet I saw was a sports journalist who said "AR Senate apparently has second thoughts about letting thousands of alcohol impaired fans into Razorback stadium with concealed weapons". Ya think?
Our luck they're going to change it so that you can only bring in weapons that are in plain sight. All weapons will be allowed EXCEPT concealed ones.

It's my understanding that it is illegal to carry, even concealed, and drink alcohol if you are outside of your home.

In Florida the law is the same as driving a car or flying a plane. .08 and above is legal impairment. It is a crime however to be strapped in a bar

Was it Utah that just lowered the DWI level to .05?

Point is, if you don't know the person is carrying then how do you enforce it?

Most of my cop friends can tell you who is carrying just by watching them...

Most of my cop friends can tell you who is carrying just by watching them...
When I was training bouncers, I would send in five people during the course of the night who were carrying, we only hired good people, mostly cops, ex cops, and military types, we contracted out to some of the biggest clubs, venues, and concerts in Miami, Tampa, Gainesville, and Tallahassee. My guys would rarely get three out of five without searching and would usually guess two or three wrong. I see someone with a gun or knife or both everytime I go into a bar in Tallahassee, even the lily-white FSU campus clubs. And that's not even counting the lunatic girls with their pink pea shooters in their purses they can/will hand to their bf in a pinch in the parking lot. I rarely go out these days for that reason and more.

This is an excellent example of stream of consciousness.

Oh and do not click on links about cures found in Norway. Or Nigerian princes who want to send you money for a small fee.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I actually read that book in a Sr level Lit elective at TU. New rule: Biology majors should never take a senior level Lit class and an elective and blow off class

"As I Lay Dieing" was a novel we read as Sophomores in high school... one of the weirder books we read... but, Faulkner became a great influence on my future internet self..

I actually read that book in a Sr level Lit elective at TU. New rule: Biology majors should never take a senior level Lit class and an elective and blow off class

"As I Lay Dieing" was a novel we read as Sophomores in high school... one of the weirder books we read... but, Faulkner became a great influence on my future internet self..
It was weird until I finally caught on (this is why Sr Biology students don't take Sr level Lit classes as an elective in your last semester) that the chapters focused on the perspective of the journey from each of the characters. The "My mother is a fish" was just weird until you realize this is what a 4 year old child whose mother has just passed away might say. Faulkner was definitely some interesting reading.

It was weird until I finally caught on (this is why Sr Biology students don't take Sr level Lit classes as an elective in your last semester) that the chapters focused on the perspective of the journey from each of the characters. The "My mother is a fish" was just weird until you realize this is what a 4 year old child whose mother has just passed away might say. Faulkner was definitely some interesting reading.

Vardamans age is never given in the book. If he were 4 yrs old then his mother would have had to have been almost 50 when he was born...

Vardamans age is never given in the book. If he were 4 yrs old then his mother would have had to have been almost 50 when he was born...
Interesting...maybe that was part of the discussion we had in class and it was surmised from other information given. You're lucky you got to read it in HS. My sophomore year of HS was spent dissecting Moby Dick. I can assure you it is not nearly as interesting....unless you grew up in the town where it starts and end and have visited many of the places Melville describes. Having to read Moby Dick is also part of the curse of growing up in that area.

Interesting...maybe that was part of the discussion we had in class and it was surmised from other information given. You're lucky you got to read it in HS. My sophomore year of HS was spent dissecting Moby Dick. I can assure you it is not nearly as interesting....unless you grew up in the town where it starts and end and have visited many of the places Melville describes. Having to read Moby Dick is also part of the curse of growing up in that area.
We did A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Caesar, Our Town, and The Glass Menagerie. Oh, and Grapes of Wrath.

I think we did As I Lay Dying during my junior or senior year. I hated that book, much like I hated Grapes of Wrath. The "poor / uneducated family takes a trip" is my least favorite genre of book. Followed closely by books about racism.

We did A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Caesar, Our Town, and The Glass Menagerie. Oh, and Grapes of Wrath.

I think we did As I Lay Dying during my junior or senior year. I hated that book, much like I hated Grapes of Wrath. The "poor / uneducated family takes a trip" is my least favorite genre of book. Followed closely by books about racism.

I don't think Vardamans family or the Joads were Trump supporters... so I don't see why you have it in for them. They appear to be more Rooseveltian in their politics.

Reactions: bluegold70
I don't think Vardamans family or the Joads were Trump supporters... so I don't see why you have it in for them. They appear to be more Rooseveltian in their politics.

Most of the country was Rooseveltian in their politics at that time, it wasn't just the south. I have empathy for the downtrodden of that period, but it makes for pretty meh reading. Reminds me of a soap opera.

C8B8vfTVAAExEtM.jpg:large

Statement from SEC regarding Arkansas' possible legislation and allowing concealed carry at sporting events (stadiums and arenas). I read this as a "if you do this, Arkansas will get ZERO home games in SEC competition. TU should follow suit, not that it would matter much to Arkansas, if for nothing more to put pressure on ridiculous state legislators that say things before they ever think of ramifications. Look at North Carolina and HB2...it is estimated it will cost the state of NC $1B in lost tourism and tax revenues if it is allowed to continue for 3 years. I'd be interested to see how much tax revenue Tulsa took in during it's 4 day stint last weekend. Raleigh lost their regional site to Greenville, SC. This gun bill in AR could have similar ramifications with lost concerts, sporting events, etc. Someone has to have a shred of common sense right?

Back in the 70's I went to 2 TU v. Arkie U games and TU won both times. However, I will say that TU won in spite of the low life cheaters that they call officials in that state!

Ya I was at one of those as a kid. The day Mike Stripling tore them up and actually won the game - a rare occurance. Maybe in 67?

But it was comical how the refs spotted the ball. We called it "left foot - right foot". The ball was downed and instead of spotting it where the refs foot was, he would move it and spot it on his opposite foot. Right foot spot - left foot ball placement.

And the fans were the worst. Leaving the stadium, one of our fans wearing TU gear was "bumped into" while leaving the stadium. It was more like a shove than a bump. But of course, our esteemed AD wasn't there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT