ADVERTISEMENT

@ Arkansas in 2018

Arkansas hasn't been to Tulsa since 1952. That's ridiculous. They need to at least give us a 2-1. These one and none deals aren't exciting to me unless its with a major team like Notre Dame, Texas or Ohio State. Even OU comes here every once in a while and they're way bigger than Arkansas.

cb

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Any chance we asked to use AAC officials for this game? Isn't it a pretty normal thing to ask for with single game contracts?

Any chance we asked to use AAC officials for this game? Isn't it a pretty normal thing to ask for with single game contracts?

I doubt Gragg cares enough to even discuss something that important. Same with OSU. IMO

The only way to get respect from Arkansas is to earn it. I will be there when we beat them no matter how many trips it takes and then join in with the rest of the TU faithful in the chant "AAC,AAC,AAC...".

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I doubt Gragg cares enough to even discuss something that important. Same with OSU. IMO

It's my understanding that every football and basketball contract has an "officials" clause in it. Whether Gragg cares about said clause is an entirely different matter.

Maybe a great chance to win. 2017-18 season is probably going to be a step back but Montgomery might have the team hitting on all cylinders by 2018. By contrast Arkansas might be breaking in a rookie coach if Bielema has another mediocre year. Time will tell.

Go TU!!!!

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Hmm, my recollection is that CSU does not have a very large stadium.

By the way, the letter from Gragg in the GHC e mail blast indicates that the Arkansas game is to be played in Fayetteville OR Little Rock. I assume Ark will make that decision.

If it gets us to quit taking donations that are marked for specific projects(like a new weight room) and using them to fill athletics budget shortfalls I'm good with it

Hmm, my recollection is that CSU does not have a very large stadium.

By the way, the letter from Gragg in the GHC e mail blast indicates that the Arkansas game is to be played in Fayetteville OR Little Rock. I assume Ark will make that decision.
They just build a brand new one on campus.

So Arkansas can play a road game at Fort Collins, Colorado, but not at Tulsa?

Does Arkansas recruit more in the Tulsa area or Fort Collins ? Tulsa
Is Tulsa's conference as good or better than Colorsdo State's? Yes
Does Tulsa or Colorado State have a better football history? Tulsa

Does Tulsa or Colorado State have an AD that knows how to schedule football games.......

So Arkansas can play a road game at Fort Collins, Colorado, but not at Tulsa?

Does Arkansas recruit more in the Tulsa area or Fort Collins ? Tulsa
Is Tulsa's conference as good or better than Colorsdo State's? Yes
Does Tulsa or Colorado State have a better football history? Tulsa

Does Tulsa or Colorado State have an AD that knows how to schedule football games.......
Precisely. But it could be $$$. You get the big payout for one and done.

That was kind of a weird letter. Especially when we don't get anything resembling frequent communication.

One of the responses on the FB post about it was how did men's golf do this year.

That CSU game is literally the only contracted road game in existence for UA right now.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/arkansas-razorbacks.php

I'm curious, did something happen or blow up after the last time they played in Tulsa? If anything, a large collection of alums are missing out on getting to see their alma mater in their hometown. After OU and OSU, Arkansas has to have the biggest alumni presence in the metro...

What's even weirder is that the Colorado state game counts as a "power 5" opponent for Arkansas.

Get used to these money games until TU is in a better spot financially. There will be another announcement of a one game road trip to a play another big time opponent in 2019 coming soon.

CSU holds 32,500, but has more premium seating. We also don't know how much of a split Arkansas is getting of that. My sense is that TU would not budge while other teams might. Castiglione is on record as saying he didnt care about the split for the OU games in Tulsa because it wasn't about the money. It was about older Sooner fans in the Tulsa area getting to see the team because they can no longer make the long drive back after the games in Norman or some other sob story.

Athletic Directors are also aware of the quirky demands of major boosters and that can influence the decisions where road games are played. It can be simple or very complex. Hypothetical: Major Arky booster meets major booster from another school at some random game five years ago. They get drunk and share their love of skiing to each other. Arky booster promises major booster from Michigan or wherever that they will get together one day and go skiing before a game. Major booster hears from AD they need to add a road game, so Major booster tells him to book a school near a skiing destination so he can invite his buddy to go skiing in hopes an invitation to come up for the Ohio State Michigan is offered later. This happens A LOT. One of my clients here in Tallahassee is a booster for FSU that makes Mike Case's contributions to TU look like the widow's two mites. He has given millions in additional donations and purchased additional advertising to have a direct say on where FSU plays football, basketball, and baseball on the road for this purpose, even where the alumni association takes group overseas trips in the off season. (They wanted to go to a Muslim country where alcohol wasn't served. If they wanted my client to go, they had to change the destination so he could drink on the trip).

There is also a whole subculture of major boosters influencing other program's major boosters on what teams that program schedules so they can trade access to suites. He participates in that process. You've got that right. I know for a fact he has had at least one SEC conference game moved on the schedule, by using his booster contacts at that SEC school, to accommodate him. He wanted to come up and party and see game day at that school. He could only go on a particular weekend, because of scheduling conflicts with FSU. That SEC school had actually planned on scheduling an open date on that weekend to get ready for out of conference rival the following weekend. Prior to the SEC school's final schedule being released to the public, calls are made, and suddenly there is an SEC game to be played on that date. TV contracts are amended, lots of logistical issues created, just because one guy from FSU wanted to see a game up there and knew a booster at that school who wanted to come down and enjoy UF at FSU from a suite when both teams were ranked in the Top 5.

This is a long way of saying Tulsa shouldn't take it personal. There are so many random factors that go into OOC scheduling, you will never know why they would do a 1-1 with CSU. The real reason could be a lost poker bet 20 years ago or the athletic director has a second home up the road.

Do the state institutions in Colorado benefit from the newfound massive tax surpluses? I wondered if maybe they don't really care about paydays.

What's even weirder is that the Colorado state game counts as a "power 5" opponent for Arkansas.

Get used to these money games until TU is in a better spot financially. There will be another announcement of a one game road trip to a play another big time opponent in 2019 coming soon.

Ole' Miss?

If it is Illinois I will wet my pants. Every family member, relative, friend or acquaintance went there. I wouldn't miss that for my own funeral.

Probably Wisconsin. Didn't we play them a time or two in the mid-80s? Or am I just imagining that b/c Morton or Henshaw went there?

Big time opponent in the Big Ten, other than Nebraska ? Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State & Wisconsin would be my list (assuming no 2nd trip to Ohio State).

I'll guess Michigan State.

These games will continue until we beat Arkansas. Then they will never occur again.

The beauty thing is that Arkansas will leave the money on the nightstand, let us take a shower, and let us order room service before we do the drive of shame back down 412.

I appreciate the players perspective. But, as an institution we have to at least get one home game per decade out of this arrangement. Otherwise all you are doing is providing an FBS opponent for a P5 schools season ticket holders while screwing your own season ticket holders with a lower tier FCS school.

Hell, let's get a home n home with North Dakota State before we do a deal with Arkansas.

Reactions: Babe the Blue Ox
It has to be a $$ thing.

We are in the red with football until the AAC gets a better ESPN contract. One way to bridge the gap in a very big way is a money game and those are always lacking a return. So here we are.

Unfortunate for season ticket holders but I get it.

In spite of how bad the AAC refs are the refs at Arkie U make the AAC look like amateurs when it comes to making bad calls...

CSU holds 32,500, but has more premium seating. We also don't know how much of a split Arkansas is getting of that. My sense is that TU would not budge while other teams might. Castiglione is on record as saying he didnt care about the split for the OU games in Tulsa because it wasn't about the money. It was about older Sooner fans in the Tulsa area getting to see the team because they can no longer make the long drive back after the games in Norman or some other sob story.

Athletic Directors are also aware of the quirky demands of major boosters and that can influence the decisions where road games are played. It can be simple or very complex. Hypothetical: Major Arky booster meets major booster from another school at some random game five years ago. They get drunk and share their love of skiing to each other. Arky booster promises major booster from Michigan or wherever that they will get together one day and go skiing before a game. Major booster hears from AD they need to add a road game, so Major booster tells him to book a school near a skiing destination so he can invite his buddy to go skiing in hopes an invitation to come up for the Ohio State Michigan is offered later. This happens A LOT. One of my clients here in Tallahassee is a booster for FSU that makes Mike Case's contributions to TU look like the widow's two mites. He has given millions in additional donations and purchased additional advertising to have a direct say on where FSU plays football, basketball, and baseball on the road for this purpose, even where the alumni association takes group overseas trips in the off season. (They wanted to go to a Muslim country where alcohol wasn't served. If they wanted my client to go, they had to change the destination so he could drink on the trip).

There is also a whole subculture of major boosters influencing other program's major boosters on what teams that program schedules so they can trade access to suites. He participates in that process. You've got that right. I know for a fact he has had at least one SEC conference game moved on the schedule, by using his booster contacts at that SEC school, to accommodate him. He wanted to come up and party and see game day at that school. He could only go on a particular weekend, because of scheduling conflicts with FSU. That SEC school had actually planned on scheduling an open date on that weekend to get ready for out of conference rival the following weekend. Prior to the SEC school's final schedule being released to the public, calls are made, and suddenly there is an SEC game to be played on that date. TV contracts are amended, lots of logistical issues created, just because one guy from FSU wanted to see a game up there and knew a booster at that school who wanted to come down and enjoy UF at FSU from a suite when both teams were ranked in the Top 5.

This is a long way of saying Tulsa shouldn't take it personal. There are so many random factors that go into OOC scheduling, you will never know why they would do a 1-1 with CSU. The real reason could be a lost poker bet 20 years ago or the athletic director has a second home up the road.

Not buying......... sorry.

Arkansas is afraid of losing to Tulsa at Tulsa bottom line.

GO TU!!!!!

Arky also refuses to play Ark State based on the great fear that they may lose.

Arkansas State has been the most dominate program in the Sun Belt over last few years and a lot of people at the local level have been advocating for a long overdue matchup between the only two D-1 football schools in the state. Much like the Piggys coming to Tulsa, I'm guessing it'll never happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT