ADVERTISEMENT

Archie approaching Dante Swanson level on Three Point Percentage

I can see a lot of similarities between the two but I think Archie is smoother and more instinctive as a freshman.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I can see a lot of similarities between the two but I think Archie is smoother and more instinctive as a freshman.
Agreed, but Dante was such an athletic freak and it took a bit for him to rein in that athleticism. If he ends up anywhere near as productive as Swanson by the time he leaves it bodes very well for out future.

Agreed, but Dante was such an athletic freak and it took a bit for him to rein in that athleticism. If he ends up anywhere near as productive as Swanson by the time he leaves it bodes very well for out future.
Archie looks every bit as athletic as Dante. I'd be willing to bet Archie has similar leaping ability to Dante.

Archie looks every bit as athletic as Dante. I'd be willing to bet Archie has similar leaping ability to Dante.
It’s been a long time and my memory doesn’t always serve me as well as I’d like it to. Maybe it’s just the personality, maybe there’s a better description, of how they approached their game. After all Swanson rode bulls for fun…

It’s been a long time and my memory doesn’t always serve me as well as I’d like it to. Maybe it’s just the personality, maybe there’s a better description, of how they approached their game. After all Swanson rode bulls for fun…
That was Coley that rode bulls for fun.

I think we tend to elevate players and their ability based on how good the teams the played on as well. Dante was the last player left from the Self glory days and he nearly single handedly got us to another Sweet 16. I think we've tempered our opinions of Archie because the team success is not where we want it to be just yet. But everything I've seen from Archie would put him on par with Dante in most areas and he's a far better passer than Dante. His court vision is as good as anyone I've seen play in a TU uniform (since '92). In that same time maybe only Pooh and Greg Harrington would I consider better ball handlers.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Archie is really good. I am still puzzled by how he was still available as late as he was.
And why he sees such limited minutes especially late in the game.

Last edited:
And why he sees such limited minutes especially late in the game.
I know Konkol is worried that teams try to back him down with his size and he uses McWright for defense, but in doing so gives up all the offense. I suspect Archie will greatly improve his defense and with Reed and Garcia having difficulty covering out front, we may see more zone with that lineup. Archie is the best point guard I have seen here in a long time but as a freshman he should still have time to improve his handling and defense. His moves to get open and his shot are perfect as well as his attack to the basket.

I know Konkol is worried that teams try to back him down with his size and he uses McWright for defense, but in doing so gives up all the offense. I suspect Archie will greatly improve his defense and with Reed and Garcia having difficulty covering out front, we may see more zone with that lineup. Archie is the best point guard I have seen here in a long time but as a freshman he should still have time to improve his handling and defense. His moves to get open and his shot are perfect as well as his attack to the basket.
His ability to create shots on his own is impressive and he has a silky smooth stroke. He also gets to the rim with ease. The one thing, and you see this with FR PGs in college who aren't used to defensive rotations in college, he sometimes gets to the rim and realizes he's about to have his shot stuffed back in his face and gets stuck. He'll learn to see that rotation and where the kickout goes.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
All players are slow to cover out. Looks like the Haith “help inside” defense and don’t recover. We are not getting those type open shots and missing the ones we get.

All players are slow to cover out. Looks like the Haith “help inside” defense and don’t recover. We are not getting those type open shots and missing the ones we get.
I wasn’t really referring to this game and help D.
More that Swanson could steal the ball from you at any given time if you weren’t paying attention.

I wasn’t really referring to this game and help D.
More that Swanson could steal the ball from you at any given time if you weren’t paying attention.
Yeah, this is true. I remember him swiping the ball away from Ed Cota down the stretch of the Elite Eight game and the announcers wondering what just happened as Cota was regarded as one of the best PGs in college basketball for some time.

It's hard to play defense that way these days because referees anticipate calls versus waiting to see what happens.

That was Coley that rode bulls for fun.

I think we tend to elevate players and their ability based on how good the teams the played on as well. Dante was the last player left from the Self glory days and he nearly single handedly got us to another Sweet 16. I think we've tempered our opinions of Archie because the team success is not where we want it to be just yet. But everything I've seen from Archie would put him on par with Dante in most areas and he's a far better passer than Dante. His court vision is as good as anyone I've seen play in a TU uniform (since '92). In that same time maybe only Pooh and Greg Harrington would I consider better ball handlers.
You are correct and it's clear my memory sucks, as I completely confused the two. Thanks for the correction....

Reactions: seniorgolfer
You are correct and it's clear my memory sucks, as I completely confused the two. Thanks for the correction....
Of course I can't remember what my wife asked me to pick up from the grocery store 20 minutes ago...so I'm there with you. It drives her crazy I can remember completely inane sports facts and yet am able to completely forget anything she says within 5 minutes (that's how she puts it).

Reactions: bluegold70
Archie looks every bit as athletic as Dante. I'd be willing to bet Archie
has similar leaping ability to Dante.
As athletic, and can probably jump at least as high..(and that's saying
something!)..He's not nearly as strong as Swanson as a freshman, but
he says he has gained strength since HS...Maybe that was why he was
still available as late as he was...

Last edited:
Reactions: dlsnid and TU_BLA
Need to let Archie be Archie. If you notice, he quit overplaying on defense after the ORU game when he was pulled and dressed down after fouling during pressure defense on PG. He has major issues with switching defense but offense is strong and on ball defense is very good.

Need to let Archie be Archie. If you notice, he quit overplaying on defense after the ORU game when he was pulled and dressed down after fouling during pressure defense on PG. He has major issues with switching defense but offense is strong and on ball defense is very good.
I liked the way he played up in the chest of the PG and stole it several times. He just needs to be able to quickly recover or get help on the back end. Would love to see an Archie/Haggerty/ Willis back court next year.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Swanson was a great defender from his freshman year.
Swanson better defender, Archie better passer, ball handling skills about the same.....both not up to Pooh level though, both great shooters, Archie creates his shot better. Wish we had both at the same time.

Of course I can't remember what my wife asked me to pick up from the grocery store 20 minutes ago...so I'm there with you. It drives her crazy I can remember completely inane sports facts and yet am able to completely forget anything she says within 5 minutes (that's how she puts it).
Mine just understands that I’m not listening to her unless the subject matter intrigues me….

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT