ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates from the scrimmage today?

Jack Handey's assessment of the scrimmage.

Since I knew his number this week, can say that Henderson had a pretty good game. Can't compare performance to the last scrimmage for obvious reasons.

Joiner looked even smoother today than last week. He will be a star player very early in his TU career.

Artison played better than the last scrimmage. He was going for even more inside shots and scoring with them. I'm excited that there are intimations he might have a breakout year.

Wheeler continued his trend of not going up for as many circus shots, which is good. That's all I got for now.

Here are my observations on seeing my first scrimmage of the season:

Newcomers :

-Daquan Jeffries looked very good. He hit couple of 3s, he played good defense & rebounded well. He plays much bigger than 6'5". He had a key steal & monster dunk in the 2nd half! Very impressive today.
-Curran Scott was also impressive. He has a pure 3 point shot, he handles the ball well, he is aware of his team mates & makes good decisions. He can hit a mid range jumper as well. I really like his overall game.
- Elijah Joiner is a very talented freshman who can get hot from 3. He played a good PG for his team today. He played well on D. You can tell he is an intense competitor. I was very impressed with him today.
- Darian Jackson did not look impressive in warm ups or early in the scrimmage to me, but he really came on in the 2nd half He hit a couple of big 3s & played well overall.

-Jeriah Horne is sitting out this season, but he did play today. He played a decent game & showed he has a good overall game. With Magnay's defection, I wish he was available this season!

Returnees : Taplin played well, hitting 2s & 3s, & distributing the ball well today. Igbanu looks like he lost weight &/or converted fat to muscle. He looks to be in great shape & played well. Étou didn't contribute a lot today. He disappeared for a lot of the first half. I expect him to step up when the reg. season starts.

After a rough first half, Henderson had a very good 2nd half, hitting several big shots. Wheeler made a few good plays, but still drove in recklessly a couple times. He did set up a 3 for Joiner & verbally encouraged him on the court multiple times. Korita looked similar to last year. Artison had a tough day.

Overall, I was encouraged that we have 6 very good players : Étou, Igbanu, Taplin, Jeffries, Scott & Joiner. We also have 2 good ones, in Henderson & Jackson, who both played well today. Wheeler, Artison & Korita can also help when called upon.

I think we will be a better shooting team this year, & we have better overall team speed & athleticism. Without Magnay, we will be smaller, but Jeffries may help inside more than I thought before today.

Gmoney, I guess I missed Artison's good plays. I saw some not so good ones. It was hard to see the #s today, I may have given Igbanu or Horne credit for an Artison play or 2.

Would have been nice to have those 13 seconds that we took to run play after that review of President's td.
I agree with everything you said except on Artison. He hit 2 or 3 shots from inside. You are most definitely right that Jeffries plays bigger than his height.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see a scoring breakdown, but Kelly was at the UConn game.

From the official website.

The Golden Hurricane men's squad followed with a scrimmage of two 12-minute halves, which saw the Blue team take a 53-43 victory over the Black team.

Head coach Frank Haith watched as the Blue squad shot 50-percent, including 59.1-percent in the second half, and pound the ball inside with 22 points in the paint. Three players scored in double-figures for Blue, led by sophomore forward Martins Igbanu's 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting. Junior forward DaQuan Jeffries added 12 points, three rebounds, two assists, a block and a steal, while Corey Henderson Jr. added 10 points, aided by a pair of 3-pointers.

Freshman guard Elijah Joiner led all scorers with 15 points for the Gold team behind a 4-of-7 effort from behind the arc. He was joined in double-figures by sophomore guard Curran Scott, who finished with a dozen points and four rebounds.

The defenses shined early as Blue held a slim 22-19 edge after the first half before expanding the lead down the stretch for the 10-point win.

VIEW FULL WEBSITE

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Does the fact we pounded the ball inside (and scored) reflect more on our interior offensive ability or our lack of size and shot blockers down low on D?

Did anybody see Kenton Paulino at this scrimmage? I wasn't really looking for him, so he might have been there and I just wasn't paying attention. I remember him at the first scrimmage.

I wonder if Joiner works his way in at some point.

I wonder if Joiner works his way in at some point.
Will be interesting how Haith uses joiner. He appears the be more of a point than I expected. He does look like he needs some major minutes.

I suspect he will start out as a " 6th" man and his play will determine his minutes and position. Bigger question is the Henderson/Scott/Wheeler contest of which Joiner could "Join".

I think Wheeler ends up being the odd man out for major minutes and only sees extended court time IF a team goes small and he can guard the 4 without an issue AND we're up a decent amount.

I think Wheeler ends up being the odd man out for major minutes and only sees extended court time IF a team goes small and he can guard the 4 without an issue AND we're up a decent amount.
We could still see Wheeler if we need a defensive package. I could see the following lineups:

Taplin
Wheeler
Jeffries
Etou
Igbanu

or

Taplin
Joiner
Wheeler
Jeffries
Etou / Igbanu

The first one would be more standard, the second one would be a small ball lineup with significant defense. Henderson and Scott aren't defensive guys.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Scott is better than any of the other guards besides Taplin. Not even close.

Joiner and Henderson will start out as backups. Wheeler will stay a backup unless he has a miraculous breakthrough moment.

Little off topic but is there any chance the Lamar game time gets moved? Sure would be nice if it were at a time that people who aren't millienials living in mom's basement(rippin) can go

I agree with everything you said except on Artison. He hit 2 or 3 shots from inside. You are most definitely right that Jeffries plays bigger than his height.
My recollection was off on him hitting 2 or 3 shots from inside. IIRC,(but am not going to bet on that) It seems like one of Artison's shots was called off because of a foul. Either way 1 of 5 shooting is not a major improvement, even in a 24 minute scrimmage.(or 2 of 5 for that matter)

In retrospect on Wheeler, I considered the couple of times Wheeler went up in a crowd not as frequent as before. But I was not even considering the 12 minute halves. So that observation was flawed as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT