ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Expansion

Agree. This thing isn’t over. Take everything all these conferences are saying with a grain a salt. Everyone is posturing while saying everything possible to avoid litigation down the road. Be patient. We aren’t going to end up in a P5 or P4 (however that shakes out) but we are still in decent position to end up in an expanded MWC with the likes of SMU imo.
If the money is right, the MWC seems like a better fit.

Being patient also has some financial benefit too: the teams leaving will owe $17 mil each; and if Cincy can get into the 4-team playoffs the conference payout would be around $6 mil I believe. That money spread out over the remaining AAC teams would certainly help the athletic dept budgets for salaries, recruiting, etc.

I just don’t understand why bringing Rice on is beneficial in anyway, i would have chosen Marshall over them, also UTSA is a good get , they are undefeated, ranked , and have a win over a P5

Last edited:
Apparently ESPN stopped the AAC from adding any sunbelt schools (app state for example) since they already own the content for the sunbelt. ESPN was pushing for MWC or Cusa since they don’t own that content (or at least they don’t own ALL of it).

it’s still puzzling on a couple of those added, but I’m assuming it had to do with revenue and what ESPN wanted.

Rice does NOT replace Houston, in any conceivable way. I completely fail to see that logic; geography doesn't compensate for a tiny alumni base / non-existent reputation. LA Tech, Marshall or USM would've been better choices than Rice and UNT. Seems like Aresco panicked and took whatever he could get. Offering Rice & UNT even 2mil a year is still a horrible revenue share commensurate with their limited contribution to the viewership base.

Rice does NOT replace Houston, in any conceivable way. I completely fail to see that logic; geography doesn't compensate for a tiny alumni base / non-existent reputation. LA Tech, Marshall or USM would've been better choices than Rice and UNT. Seems like Aresco panicked and took whatever he could get. Offering Rice & UNT even 2mil a year is still a horrible revenue share commensurate with their limited contribution to the viewership base.
Completely agree on Rice, North Texas could become a giant at any moment , they are a huge university, this could be their chance to make that step

Man we have some serious sad sacks here!

At this point we just need to be patient but smart. And a statement about commitment to athletics as a strategic priority could not hurt.
I don't mean to come off so maudlin... I apologize, as I know how frustrating it is when some people suggest we drop to FCS or abandon athletics altogether... That always steams me when I read posts suggesting we just implode the university rather than press onward. Just sucks that we've kept a lackluster coach for years and the only people with a sense of urgency are the fans instead of the administration running the university and athletics department. Falling back into a facsimile of C-USA 2.0 will definitely make me less interested in attending future home games, which I find upsetting because I want to see Tulsa flourish and ascend.

Reactions: drboobay
I don't mean to come off so maudlin... I apologize, as I know how frustrating it is when some people suggest we drop to FCS or abandon athletics altogether... That always steams me when I read posts suggesting we just implode the university rather than press onward. Just sucks that we've kept a lackluster coach for years and the only people with a sense of urgency are the fans instead of the administration running the university and athletics department. Falling back into a facsimile of C-USA 2.0 will definitely make me less interested in attending future home games, which I find upsetting because I want to see Tulsa flourish and ascend.
This I agree with. But what can we do right now, really?

There's only one thing that Tulsa can do right now: FIRE THE COACH! The tone needs to be set at the top that mediocrity is not acceptable and that accountability is enforced throughout athletics. The university needs to hire a coach that ignites interest in the program and the fanbase with optimism, energy and intensity. That's the ONLY thing this administration needs to do at this point, but they wont.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I honestly think all but Rice are pretty good. UTSA and UAB look to be able to come in and compete right away. Charlotte is a very new program and working its way up. FAU and UNT have had recent success and I could see UNT being a sleeping giant.

I see no point in adding Rice when they could’ve invited La Tech or someone similar. Every one of these programs minus Rice would have an excellent chance of beating us if the administration doesn’t fire Monty and right the ship quickly.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I sort of favor Southern Miss from a tradition standpoint but none of the options was exciting.

So be it.

I believe we should have made a big push for the academies and Colorado state. Picking up Marshall and UAB along with 1 more (not being rice) is what they should have done. IMO

I honestly think all but Rice are pretty good. UTSA and UAB look to be able to come in and compete right away. Charlotte is a very new program and working its way up. FAU and UNT have had recent success and I could see UNT being a sleeping giant.

I see no point in adding Rice when they could’ve invited La Tech or someone similar. Every one of these programs minus Rice would have an excellent chance of beating us if the administration doesn’t fire Monty and right the ship quickly.
Could it be for recruiting Houston area of Texas?

Reactions: Tu Geo and drboobay
Could it be for recruiting Houston area of Texas?
Playing one game in Houston every two years is more important than placing Rice on even footing with other AAC schools when it comes to recruiting in their own back yard ? Not suggestion the answer isn’t “yes” but pointing out that it’s not near the slam dunk as some people believe.

One would assume so. The Athletic put out an article this morning the teams have been accepted. It also mentioned the AAC doesn’t want the MWC to expand into Texas so I would think that had more to do with it.
MWC could just go an get UTEP out of CUSA and that’s the door into Texas.

I think UNT is a good choice. 35,000 students and a much larger school than SMU. UTSA helps capture the San Antonio market.

Apparently the 6 schools from CUSA are joining the American. The sunbelt is exploring expansion and is feeling out Southern Miss, Marshall and ODU. That leaves5 teams in CUSA FIU, LA Tech, Middle Tenn State, UTEP and Western Kentucky left in CUSA. CUSA apparently is trying to go on the offense at some WAC schools and JMU. JMU is being courted by the Sunbelt.

after all of that CUSA might want to try and poach from the WAC but since they are down to 5 if the MWC or WAC push hard enough then CUSA might fold

I think UNT is a good choice. 35,000 students and a much larger school than SMU. UTSA helps capture the San Antonio market.
Having a large school doesn’t mean much. Take a look at unt’s winning seasons over the past couple of decades… not much to get excited about.

UTSA is a better option than UNT, but still not all that impressive… and to say they deliver the San Antonio market is like saying rice delivers the Houston market.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Apparently the 6 schools from CUSA are joining the American. The sunbelt is exploring expansion and is feeling out Southern Miss, Marshall and ODU. That leaves5 teams in CUSA FIU, LA Tech, Middle Tenn State, UTEP and Western Kentucky left in CUSA. CUSA apparently is trying to go on the offense at some WAC schools and JMU. JMU is being courted by the Sunbelt.

after all of that CUSA might want to try and poach from the WAC but since they are down to 5 if the MWC or WAC push hard enough then CUSA might fold
There is a WAC?

Yes, until SMU joins:)
Moving to the MWC would be like the death penalty for SMU!!!!

Nobody watches MWC football. Anything on past the Central Time Zone is a terrible strategy in college football.

11:00 AM and 2:30 PM kickoffs are the prime times.

Late night games are for powers like ND, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, etc.

Nobody is watching MWC or cares.

Casual fans will watch the 11:00 and 2:30 games of any team from any conference. The exposure is so much better!

GO TU!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcane
Moving to the MWC would be like the death penalty for SMU!!!!

Nobody watches MWC football anything on past the Central Time Zone is a terrible strategy in college football.

11:00 AM kickoffs and 2:30 PM are the prime times.

Late night games are for powers like ND, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, etc.

Nobody is watching MWC or cares.

Casual fans will watch the 11:00 and 2:30 games of any team from any conference. The exposure is so much better!

GO TU!!!!
That is the countervailing argument and why we were happy to escape the wac.

I'm guessing this won't help make you feel better?

There's only one thing that Tulsa can do right now: FIRE THE COACH! The tone needs to be set at the top that mediocrity is not acceptable and that accountability is enforced throughout athletics. The university needs to hire a coach that ignites interest in the program and the fanbase with optimism, energy and intensity. That's the ONLY thing this administration needs to do at this point, but they wont.
When was the last time we made a good hire in FB or BB? You gotta think we have a good one coming, even if just by random chance.

When was the last time we made a good hire in FB or BB? You gotta think we have a good one coming, even if just by random chance.
Yeah, we're overdue. I just hate the fact that Monty is getting paid so much to pretend he knows how to coach and call plays. It's like watching a retard brag about stealing from you on a weekly basis.

Well there is a difference of opinion even in this article.

I am not worried about any of it. Either we stay in the game at the top official collegiate level or I save some money and angst and stop paying attention to sports excepting the USMNT in soccer.

I hope for the former and that TU is working hard to that end. But there is only so much I can do. I don't have a million (or even 10,000) dollars to give that might give me a bigger voice.

😂 he is just scared of “ the other ones “ what a dumb statement. Money and greed is starting to ruin college sports

Reactions: drboobay

Yeah, we're overdue. I just hate the fact that Monty is getting paid so much to pretend he knows how to coach and call plays. It's like watching a retard brag about stealing from you on a weekly basis.
Got to have the stones to fire someone first and I honestly dont think it will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT