ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Non Conference Schedule

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001
The 2020 NC schedule was recently completed:

Home vs Toledo & Northwestern St LA
Away vs OSU & Ark State

We've also added another home & home with Ark State in 2021 & 2024.

We still have 1 home opening in 2021 & 2022 and 2 in 2023.

I’d expect at least one pretty decent home & home to be announced soon (in the next year you’d hope). Seems like we might have to settle for a low D1 or FCS each year. But 2023 having two spots means we should see something pretty positive there. Just a guess. But with a few rumors (that I’m optimistically skeptical of) added in.

I’d expect at least one pretty decent home & home to be announced soon (in the next year you’d hope). Seems like we might have to settle for a low D1 or FCS each year. But 2023 having two spots means we should see something pretty positive there. Just a guess. But with a few rumors (that I’m optimistically skeptical of) added in.
uT is going to Rice! I know they are only going there to improve their recruiting efforts in The Houston area as A&M and LSU have dominated that area the last couple of years but my point is if Rice can do it what the hell is our excuse. Hell I would be satisfied with KU, KSU, Colorado State, hell even UTEP. I will always be loyal to TU but if I’m the average Football fan, there is no way I would pay to see those sorry teams play when I could go to Norman, Stillwater, Fayetteville, Broken Arrow, and Union to watch better competition!

Look at any of our fellow conference teams or eve the cusa teams upcoming schedules, we have more openings and fewer opponents from the p5 than they all do.

This schedule is on our Athletic Director.

Look at any of our fellow conference teams or eve the cusa teams upcoming schedules, we have more openings and fewer opponents from the p5 than they all do.

This schedule is on our Athletic Director.
And a lot of it has to do with him being directed to take $$$ games against P5s. We're getting $1.6M to go be a sacrificial salmon at Washington in 2023.

With Matt Wells at Texas Tech and the old AD gone, it may be time for us to see if that can be scheduled again. Wells is an Okie so he may be interested and us going to Lubbock for a game is not a terrible thing for our recruiting since we seem to do well in the west central part of TX.

And a lot of it has to do with him being directed to take $$$ games against P5s. We're getting $1.6M to go be a sacrificial salmon at Washington in 2023.

There are two issues at hand:

1. Every $ game or 2 for 1 eventually requires an FCS opponent in order to balance the schedule. Most of those future home openings will be filled with someone like NW State, who we'll have to pay a $300-400k appearance fee.

2. The inability to schedule any P5 opponent to a 1-1 contract. Off the top of my head, I can only recall agreements with Iowa State and Minnesota over the past 20 years. Since then, it's mostly been Sunbelt and MAC opponents, with an occasional MWC team now and then.

1-1s with P5s certainly appear to have all but ended for TU. I know we had 1-1 contracts with Iowa State, Minny and Texas Tech in the past 20 years but none of those have been in the past 6 or 7 years nor have any contracts been signed. Not sure what's going on here. Why have those ended for TU while still being available for other similar schools?

Enjoy this year's home schedule. The future home slates (especially OOC) aren't attractive.

1-1s with P5s certainly appear to have all but ended for TU. I know we had 1-1 contracts with Iowa State, Minny and Texas Tech in the past 20 years but none of those have been in the past 6 or 7 years nor have any contracts been signed. Not sure what's going on here. Why have those ended for TU while still being available for other similar schools?

Enjoy this year's home schedule. The future home slates (especially OOC) aren't attractive.
I think your answer is in Blue Ox' answer. We take so many 2 for 1s and pay dates with OU, OSU, Arkansas, and now Ohio State and Michigan State, we don't have any room in the near future for 1 for 1 contracts. Most of these deals are scheduled 5-7 years in advance now, especially with the Big XII and B1G doing the 9 conference games. But why shouldn't we be able to get a 1 for 1 with Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, or Utah from the Pac 12, or Kansas or Kansas State? We have regressed in our scheduling since Bubba left (not sure Ross really had any big series in the pipeline).

one good answer for no 1-1 P5s is the size of the TU stadium, really 27,500. The $$ aren't there even if the prices were increased. But, smaller schools like Wake Forest, Vandy and Northwestern might be interested for the right price.

Having said that, I would concentrate on any MWC 1-1s (San Jose State is the worst), BYU, and reach out to regional CUSAs - Rice, North Texas, Southern Miss, UTEP, and UTSA.

We'll never see any Big XII team here other than OU and OSU. KU in particular has no interest in losing here, despite a large alumni base in Tulsa.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Even if we could find a P5 to agree to a 1-1 with us, it is very doubtful that they would agree to playing the first game here. We don't have a road opening until 2024, so the earliest we could get a higher profile opponent at Chapman is 2025.

We recently pushed a return game with ULL out 9 years and cancelled a return game with Texas State altogether. We may even start having trouble with SunBelt teams other than Arkansas State agreeing to our terms.

The trouble is the athletic staff. They do not want to work at it and it shows. Gragg and his staff are lazy

We had a 1-1 on the schedule with Vandy many years back that quietly disappeared. Never heard why.

We had a 1-1 on the schedule with Vandy many years back that quietly disappeared. Never heard why.

We also had a 1-1 with Alabama back in the late 80’s or early 90’s. It got dropped when the SEC went to an 8 game conference schedule.

The trouble is the athletic staff. They do not want to work at it and it shows. Gragg and his staff are lazy

Not going to go that far. I will say it's pretty clear he isn't very creative, his connections seem limited, and he doesn't seem to be much of networker.

We are far from the only school taking 2-1s or money games and freaking Coastal Carolina got a P5 home and home with Kansas and their stadium is tiny.

Some of this is the difficult position and some of it is the AD. We aren't changing the situation because we can't move to Houston, become 60,000 undergrads, or expand our stadium to the 34,000 we needed it to be (thanks Bubba). We can change the AD.

Luckily there are independents of decent calibre and decent G5 opponents to bring in while going on the road to P5 programs to get 1 and 1s, but that requires the AD to make it happen. Gragg just isn't that guy.

The total number of future empty slots alone should be getting him on the hot seat. Our schedule is entering dangerous territory where we may have 2 fcs home games in a single season if we aren't careful.

We also had a 1-1 with Alabama back in the late 80’s or early 90’s. It got dropped when the SEC went to an 8 game conference schedule.
I have to admit that it frustrated me that Rader never hooked us up when he was in Tuscaloosa. We all know why obviously but it would have been nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT