ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Player Discussion Thread: Jeriah Horne

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sophomore F Jeriah Horne

The comparisons to Etou are inevitable. A borderline top 150 recruit who shows well in limited playing time for a mediocre Big 10 team, earns raves from the practice reports in his redshirt year, and jumps right into the starting lineup at TU. But it's important to remember that Junior Etou vastly exceeded expectations from Day 1 and you'll go broke expecting every player to pull that off. The reality is that Etou's graduation leaves an awfully big pair of empty shoes behind and no single player is going to fill that void. The good news is that Horne joins a much better supporting cast than Etou and he's got an extra year to take advantage.

2017 stats: 11.8mpg, 4.3ppg, 1.9rpg, 0.4apg, 0.2spg, 0.1bpg, 0.8topg, 50.0% 2PT, 33.3% 3PT, 66.7% FT
2019 proj.: 26.0mpg, 11.5ppg, 5.4rpg, 1.2apg, 0.4spg, 1.0bpg, 1.3topg, 51.6% 2PT, 29.5% 3PT, 68.5% FT

I’m curious as to why you think his three point shooting percentage would drop.

There's a couple different factors, but the biggest one is that all of his top comps are bad 3-point shooters. For example, Grant Williams of Tennessee shows up on the list. Williams is a great player. He won SEC player of the year last season. He also shot 12% from three.

We'll see. Sounds like he's going to be the starter at the 4 and that position has traditionally been encouraged to take 3s in Haith's offense. If so, we'll certainly need him to shoot better than 29%.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
There's a couple different factors, but the biggest one is that all of his top comps are bad 3-point shooters. For example, Grant Williams of Tennessee shows up on the list. Williams is a great player. He won SEC player of the year last season. He also shot 12% from three.

We'll see. Sounds like he's going to be the starter at the 4 and that position has traditionally been encouraged to take 3s in Haith's offense. If so, we'll certainly need him to shoot better than 29%.

Nice. So you think Jeffries at the 3 then? Giving us a starting lineup of:

5 - Igbanu
4 - Horne
3 - Jeffries
2 - Joiner/Scott
1 - Taplin

I can dig it.

Reactions: Gold* and ctt8410
The 2 spot is the biggest unknown. I suspect your lineup is good but I still think the St Louis transfer is our 2 by conference play.

Yup Horne, Jeffries, Moore and Korita could all theoretically see time at the 3.

With a ton of guards plus wings being able to slide to the 2

Yup Horne, Jeffries, Moore and Korita could all theoretically see time at the 3.

With a ton of guards plus wings being able to slide to the 2
Yes, and if Barnes makes more noise at the 2 than we are surmising, even
Scott might see some action at the three....

The 2 spot is the biggest unknown. I suspect your lineup is good but I still think
the St Louis transfer is our 2 by conference play.

Maybe the biggest unknown, but as you infer, not the least talented....
Joiner/Moore/Scoot/Barnes sounds pretty good....It will be interesting to
see the early distribution of playing time at that spot.....Obviously, Joiner will
get some of his PT @ PG.....

Last edited:
I think we will have a fun team to watch. Hopefully the new guys are ready to go. We do have some interesting depth in the back court. I’m not sure we’ve had that in a long time.

Nice. So you think Jeffries at the 3 then? Giving us a starting lineup of:
5 - Igbanu
4 - Horne
3 - Jeffries
2 - Joiner/Scott
1 - Taplin

I can dig it.
Good line up!! It will be interesting to see how it will change (if at all) by
conference time.....

One possibility, while not as big is:
4. Jeffries
3. Moore

Another...As t-townpod suggests:
4. Horne
3.Jeffries
2. Moore

The good news is that we seem to have viable options at most every
position this year....Probably the reason that Haith seems so optimistic
about the season....

Players similar to Jeriah Horne have been a staple in Tulsa coach Frank Haith’s success as a basketball coach. Not only is 6-foot-7 Horne versatile, being able to play inside and outside, but he is also a transfer from a major college. For whatever reason, Haith has relied a lot on transfer players, and Horne could prove to be one of Haith’s best recruits.

LINK: Horne ready to make big impact

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT