ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Player Discussion Thread: Lawson Korita

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sophomore G Lawson Korita

"Tulsa adds shooter"

That was the headline in the Rivals Recruiting Roundup when Korita became the first commit for the 2017 class. 47% in AAU? What a breath of fresh air after 4 straight years of watching our team shoot 32%. And after a slow start while Haith tried to shake out a consistent rotation amongst the 8 guards on the roster, he busted out with four 3s in a win over Texas State that earned him 3 starts in Hawaii. In retrospect, that was the high point. Korita made just 8 of 38 attempts after that. And 5 of 21 inside the arc.

With the additions of Scott, Joiner, and Jackson, Korita has an uphill battle for playing time this year. But you can never have too many shooters and if he can rediscover the stroke he had in high school, he'll still be a valuable guy to have coming off the bench.

2017 stats: 12.7mpg, 2.8ppg, 1.5rpg, 0.7apg, 0.6topg, 0.1spg, 0.0bpg, 30.0% 2PT, 26.2% 3PT, 86.7% FT
2018 proj.: 15.3mpg, 4.2ppg, 1.6rpg, 1.0apg, 0.9topg, 0.1spg, 0.0bpg, 33.9% 2PT, 31.7% 3PT, 77.8% FT

Korita has value beyond shooting as he has a good basketball IQ and good court vision. Having said that, we have to have people on the court that can score to keep defenses honest. His shot was about an inch off one way or another most of the time. If he can correct that inch then I could see the 15 minutes per game. Haith likes to play 8-9 players a lot but I think one of Korita or Wheeler will be joining Jackson and Horne for some serious pine time and I think the determining factor as to who is in that group will be scoring ability.

I don't forsee Korita getting much time this year. I could be wrong but he seems really low on the depth chart.

Wheeler plays good defense. Needs to stay under control on offense.
Yes. I always thought Korita played pretty solid 1 v 1 defense and was less foul prone...plus he gives you an added shooter from the outside and I think he does play under more control. I know he didn't hit his shot last year but you felt better about him shooting than you did if Wheeler shot from outside and he didn't turn it over as much as Wheeler.

Wheeler is like Shaq on offense and I don't think the D respects or fears his outside shot...they almost dare him to shoot it. He doesn't have the same quickness, handle, or ups Shaq has. At least with Korita, you still have to defend him outside the arc.

Yes. I always thought Korita played pretty solid 1 v 1 defense and was less foul prone...plus he gives you an added shooter from the outside and I think he does play under more control. I know he didn't hit his shot last year but you felt better about him shooting than you did if Wheeler shot from outside and he didn't turn it over as much as Wheeler.

Wheeler is like Shaq on offense and I don't think the D respects or fears his outside shot...they almost dare him to shoot it. He doesn't have the same quickness, handle, or ups Shaq has. At least with Korita, you still have to defend him outside the arc.
They will both play, and actually I'd rather have both of them playing over Henderson who couldn't defend a brick wall if you gave him a wrecking ball and the entire 85 Bears defense. I think Scott will be more than enough firepower from the 2 spot for us to do well for long stretches. You could finagle it where Joiner played the 2 alongside Taplin for a stretch when Scott is out of the game.

His release looks different from high school. I don’t know if they were trying to change last year so it was quicker last year and that threw him off or what. It still doesn’t look as consistently smooth as when he first arrived. Joiner and Henderson have the form down perfect.

Reactions: Gold* and ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT