ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Player Discussion Thread: Curran Scott

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sophomore G Curran Scott

Two years ago, Curran Scott scheduled an appearance on okpreps.tv to announce his final decision between Fresno State and Tulsa. Every indication was that TU was the pick. Instead, he juked us all and committed to Mark Price without even visiting Charlotte.

At the time, message board scouts were split on Scott. He had clearly shown the ability to score at an elite level in high school, breaking the single-season record for points at Edmond Memorial, but his game was built around beating defenders off the dribble and drawing the and-1 with mediocre 3-pt percentages that suggested D1 defenders wouldn't respect his jump shot. And through his first 11 college games, it appeared those critics may have been correct. Scott averaged just 6 points per game on 35% from the field and failed to fill the box score in other areas. But a 20/5/3/1 outburst against the Citadel on 12/29 jumpstarted Scott's season and from there he went on a 22-game run shooting 49%/49%/84% and getting to the line 5 times per game.

There's no question that the weakness of last year's Tulsa team was guard play. While leading the team in attempts, Pat Birt shot just 31% from inside the arc and out. The team turned the ball over on 22% of their possessions (330th nationally) and got a ridiculous 14% of their shots blocked (looking at you, Jaleel). There's stiff competition for the starting 2 spot, but I think Curran Scott wins this job and provides a huge boost to the guard play this year.

2018 proj.: 21.8mpg, 10.8ppg, 1.9rpg, 1.1apg, 0.5spg, 1.4topg, 0.0bpg, 46.5% 2PT, 44.7% 3PT, 86.5% FT

Jaleel asked for that with his lame shot selection/creation.

Last edited:
Sophomore G Curran Scott

Two years ago, Curran Scott scheduled an appearance on okpreps.tv to announce his final decision between Fresno State and Tulsa. Every indication was that TU was the pick. Instead, he juked us all and committed to Mark Price without even visiting Charlotte.

At the time, message board scouts were split on Scott. He had clearly shown the ability to score at an elite level in high school, breaking the single-season record for points at Edmond Memorial, but his game was built around beating defenders off the dribble and drawing the and-1 with mediocre 3-pt percentages that suggested D1 defenders wouldn't respect his jump shot. And through his first 11 college games, it appeared those critics may have been correct. Scott averaged just 6 points per game on 35% from the field and failed to fill the box score in other areas. But a 20/5/3/1 outburst against the Citadel on 12/29 jumpstarted Scott's season and from there he went on a 22-game run shooting 49%/49%/84% and getting to the line 5 times per game.

There's no question that the weakness of last year's Tulsa team was guard play. While leading the team in attempts, Pat Birt shot just 31% from inside the arc and out. The team turned the ball over on 22% of their possessions (330th nationally) and got a ridiculous 14% of their shots blocked (looking at you, Jaleel). There's stiff competition for the starting 2 spot, but I think Curran Scott wins this job and provides a huge boost to the guard play this year.

2018 proj.: 21.8mpg, 10.8ppg, 1.9rpg, 1.1apg, 0.5spg, 1.4topg, 0.0bpg, 46.5% 2PT, 44.7% 3PT, 86.5% FT
CTT, where do your stat projections come from?

Seems like Scotts biggest flaws are defense and playmaking. He can certainly improve the playmaking, and I expect that having an extra season as a redshirt has helped him with the defense.

If he shoots around 45% from 3 game in and game out; I think I might cry tears of joy simply because of the beauty.

Also, if he's shooting like that and he's not in the game longer than 21 minutes I'm calling for Haith's head on a platter unless the other team is simply taking it to him when he's defending.

Seems like Scotts biggest flaws are defense and playmaking. He can certainly improve the playmaking, and I expect that having an extra season as a redshirt has helped him with the defense.

If he shoots around 45% from 3 game in and game out; I think I might cry tears of joy simply because of the beauty.

Also, if he's shooting like that and he's not in the game longer than 21 minutes I'm calling for Haith's head on a platter unless the other team is simply taking it to him when he's defending.

When haven’t you called for Haith’s head? It’s what you do! Lol

Reactions: TU405 and Gold*
When haven’t you called for Haith’s head? It’s what you do! Lol
I know he won't be let go after this season no matter what the result simply because of the size of his contract.

I haven't called for his head. I just want improved performance.

I like Scott's game a lot. He's scrappy. We used to always get burned by players like him at other schools. He reminds me of the archetypal ORU guard from 1999 through 2005 or so.

Shooting will be interesting, but I'm actually more interested in his defense and the hard to quantify things that scrappiness creates. II is right. He made a great play at the end of the scrimmage.

I compared him to Gendron, but I don't remember Gendron as being really crafty with the ball like Scott. Gendron was a good spot up shooter and played good D. Scott's game reminds me more of Rod Thompson.

I had one of those Bomb! stouts from Prairie. Next thing I remember was waking up inside EOOC surrounded by Mazzio's boxes with stats written on them. Magnay's was a sausage calzone, so I ate it.
Ah funny.

But I was asking a serious question. Your the stat guy on the board so was just trying to figure out how you come up with the projections.

I like Scott's game a lot. He's scrappy. We used to always get burned by players like him at other schools. He reminds me of the archetypal ORU guard from 1999 through 2005 or so.

Shooting will be interesting, but I'm actually more interested in his defense and the hard to quantify things that scrappiness creates. II is right. He made a great play at the end of the scrimmage.

I compared him to Gendron, but I don't remember Gendron as being really crafty with the ball like Scott. Gendron was a good spot up shooter and played good D. Scott's game reminds me more of Rod Thompson.
Interesting. Gendron was one of those players that made it easy to be a fan. He may not have been the best athlete, best shooter, best player, but no one was going to work harder or give more effort than he did. If Scott plays with half the tenacity and effort that Gendron did, I'll be pretty happy.

Thompson was one of those sneaky guys who was a lot better shooter than you thought simply because he never shot the ball as much because he really didn't need to.

It's a really crowded backcourt. Especially considering how few of these guys can handle point guard. I suspect things will shake out over the course of the season, but early in the year lots of guys will be getting 15-20 minutes.

It's a really crowded backcourt. Especially considering how few of these guys can handle point guard. I suspect things will shake out over the course of the season, but early in the year lots of guys will be getting 15-20 minutes.
If somebody is shooting at 45% from 3, you don't just give them 15 minutes. I don't care if there's someone behind them.

Interestingly, the top 10 shooters in all of college basketball last year averaged 23 minutes per game.
And the average of the top 23 (all that shot at or above .45 from 3) was 28 minutes per game. The median was 30 mpg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT