ADVERTISEMENT

2-3 wins...

Original TULSAFAN

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
worst coached special teams and defense I've ever seen in all my 45 years; re: ANY college football team.

Yeah, we've always been pretty bad for at least the last many years. Our DBs just terribly bad football players.

Tulsa will lose games in conference this season due to a lack of defense. It won't be a lack of offense as the problem.

Do not leave out the dline. Brubaker has done NOTHING. He needs to go home and not play. We need to play other guys and bench Edmiston, Brubaker and a few others. Terrible.

#55 Garret Flanary ( freshman DT) is not doing bad. Not dominating , but always keeps his gap contained . Pretty hard to start there as a freshman, but he is giving it all he has got. He will be a special player .

Very hard to understand how they can be so GOOD on offense and so BAD on defense. Maybe they need to look at the roster and consider converting offensive players who never play much or at all. This pass defense is the worst I've witnessed at Tulsa. With all the extra speed we are supposed to have, it can't help those that are LOST. And there are a bunch. Heads should roll and players benched when you score 50+ a game and lose. Hope Monty does some shaking up this week.

P.S. The one dimensional offense is very impressive so far.

We'll still be favored to win at least 4 more games.(N Mexico, Tulane, Uconn,and Temple)

Just have to figure out how to sneak one additional win in... maybe navy, but that may be asking too much of our d. We'll see how we play against New Mexico... that'll be a good indication of how well we can handle the navy rushing attack.

Just have to figure out how to sneak one additional win in... maybe navy, but that may be asking too much of our d. We'll see how we play against New Mexico... that'll be a good indication of how well we can handle the navy rushing attack.
I could see Tulane giving us fits as well

I have faith that we will at least get 6 wins in.

This. With the "bowl" in Dallas between the high school playoff game on Friday and the high school band competition on Sunday.

Frisco bowl is on Wednesday 12/20 but at least it's in the evening and not the middle of the afternoon.

Texas HS football playoffs will be entering their final week but those are played in much bigger stadiums. Competitive marching season ends in mid-November. Either of these events would outdraw the bowl game though.

Will we be favored over UConn and Temple?
Hell if I know. Our offense has to see where it goes with skipper after a few games. But more importantly we have to get some guys back on the defensive side, and try and get some semblance of a defense on the field.(If I were guessing I'd say yes on Uconn and maybe on Temple.)

At this point though, it really only matters what we look like against the next opponent and if we improve. We're coming from ground zero. I thought we were making some improvements against Navy on defense and was more worried about our offense, then the wheels came off against Tulane. I feel pretty good about our offense. After a game or two I think it will be closer to normal.

I was almost ready to accuse our defense of putting a fix in after the first half of tackling at Tulane.

Board imploding ! However, I HAVE THE ANSWER! Sneak Lawrence Taylor
and Charles Haley into a Tulsa uniform.
I would settle for some D-1 athletes to be in those uniforms......We don't
seem to have many left on the def. side....I knew we had not recruited
enough size and athleticism in the defensive line, and not enough defensive
tackles period, but I did not realize that the defense would be so limited
athletically almost across the board....Three times that I remember, a Tulane runner/receiver ran by a TU defender without the defender hardly even
reaching out to attempt to stop the opponent....

We were thin to start with, and that usually means extra injuries because
the starters play too many snaps after they are worn down....That has
happened in spades....I'm not saying we would have had a good defense if
all of our original starters were available, but it would have been more like
last year, when the defense was good enough for the offense the out score
the opponents.....

Even our offense has been below previous standards, but it was amazing
how much better our offensive line looked with Skipper at QB....All of a
sudden, there were running lanes for Brooks (wow!) to exploit, and Skipper,
by and large, had time to get his passes off.....The defenders tried to adjust,
but they couldn't stack the box anymore, and they didn't know what to expect!

There are no quick solutions to all of the personnel problems this team has,
and we will have to be patient (it's hard at my age to be that), and hope that
the recruiting will improve, and that most of our present recruits develop into
productive players.....

Getting to where we want to be may be a long and winding road, but it is past
time to get started......

Last edited:
I would settle for some D-1 athletes to be in those uniforms......We don't
seem to have many left on the def. side....I knew we had not recruited
enough size and athleticism in the defensive line, and not enough defensive
tackles period, but I did not realize that the defense would be so limited
athletically almost across the board....Three times that I remember, a Tulane runner/receiver ran by a TU defender without the defender hardly even
reaching out to attempt to stop the opponent....

We were thin to start with, and that usually means extra injuries because
the starters play too many snaps after they are worn down....That has
happened in spades....I'm not saying we would have had a good defense if
all of our original starters were available, but it would have been more like
last year, when the defense was good enough for the offense the out score
the opponents.....

Even our offense has been below previous standards, but it was amazing
how much better our offensive line looked with Skipper at QB....All of a
sudden, there were running lanes for Brooks (wow!) to exploit, and Skipper,
by and large, had time to get his passes off.....The defenders tried to adjust,
but they couldn't stack the box anymore, and they didn't know what to expect!

There are no quick solutions to all of the personnel problems this team has,
and we will have to be patient (it's hard at my age to be that), and hope that
the recruiting will improve, and that most of our present recruits develop into
productive players.....

Getting to where we want to be may be a long and winding road, but it is past
time to get started......
Right now Tulsa has too many "Shoeless Joe Jacksons" playing at something...it sure isn't defense. Manny Bunch hurts his knee on the first play and it appeared that "The Shoeless Joe's" decided to give a full 65 percent effort the rest of the game.

Relax, people. Our Oline will still get us to a bowl game. We weren't gonna win the national championship anyway.
The max number of games this team has a chance of winning is 4 and that's being generous. TU doesn't get to a bowl this year. That sounds harsh but truthful. Tulsa would have to pull of some miraculous wins to get to a bowl this season. Monty waited too long to change QB's for a bowl appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUGrad06
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT