ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
I have mixed feelings here. Having a hard time siding with universities who have for decades refused to provide their student athletes with four year scholarships. Instead offering one years ships which are subject to cancellation at the whim of the school. Would like to see something in the middle. If you’re going to tie NIL deals with the universities (they are currently separate) then the universities need to offer guaranteed four year scholarships to all student athletes regardless of NIL status imo. There can be opt out clauses for the university based on being convicted of a crime, etc.

2024 NCAA Tournament

Purdue can. There seems to be a huge conspiracy to get Eddy a title. How he doesn't foul out of every game is just mind boggling. The number of times he goes through players to grab rebounds he should foul out in five minutes played. Tennessee didn't stand a chance in that game with the lopsided way the refs were calling it. Hopefully Rick Barnes laid into the officiating in the post game. Just brutal.

Also congrats to NC State on the men's and women's side, both going to their respective Final Fours. The men have now won 9 straight games and they just took down ACC and Research Triangle rival Duke. I'm pretty sure someone is going to turn the whiny Kyle Filipowski face into a meme soon. My son was rooting for NC State (IYKYK).
Musta watched different Purdue games. Edey was getting hammered and the refs stopped calling anything. Dude should have been shooting way more FTs.

2024 Transfer Portal

No sir. Year to Year. Most of them are getting some $$ upfront and then scheduled monthly. Depending on the player and sport.
And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
Reactions: drboobay

2024 Transfer Portal

That's what I meant. There was an injunction in place therefore not allowing the NCAA to enforce it. I believe the argument is that it unfairly limits a player's free enterprise and the rule is a violation of antitrust. And with that...schools could end a lot of the chaos by classifying student athletes as employees and then having them sign multiyear contracts. I certainly think the NIL collectives could require a signed contract and make it for multiple years with some harsh conditions to buy it out. I mean if the Texas collective wants to pay PJ Haggerty more than us, then let them also buy out his NIL agreement with TU so at least we can replenish that $$$ and give it to other players.
Surely these players aren’t being paid for say 2-3 years of NIL with all those payments up front ?

2024 Transfer Portal

The injunction is not enforcing the 1 transfer rule, it is continuing to put it on hold, until a trial or amendment to the bylaws.
That's what I meant. There was an injunction in place therefore not allowing the NCAA to enforce it. I believe the argument is that it unfairly limits a player's free enterprise and the rule is a violation of antitrust. And with that...schools could end a lot of the chaos by classifying student athletes as employees and then having them sign multiyear contracts. I certainly think the NIL collectives could require a signed contract and make it for multiple years with some harsh conditions to buy it out. I mean if the Texas collective wants to pay PJ Haggerty more than us, then let them also buy out his NIL agreement with TU so at least we can replenish that $$$ and give it to other players.

TU #195 US News 2024 rankings.

I can ask my contacts at TU and see what they know. At least 1 is very in the know in that area. And I'm not for TU building on any of the remaining green spaces on campus. There's something about the U, the new U, and the space between fraternity and sorority row. And c'mon the argument that the residence halls are too far from Kep and the 2 new engineering buildings sounds almost as whiny as the folks clamoring for parking garages near the stadium. It is no more than a 7 minute walk from anywhere on campus to Kep if you walk at a normal pace and don't stop to stare at your feet along the way.

I've been of the opinion TU should try to buy everything between 11th and 3rd, Lewis to Harvard. Of course there's some stuff in there, like the school, that's not going away but that's a good partnership for TU (at least used to be). I always wanted TU to build aa 9-hole golf course in that space as well :cool:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Local HS Soccer

Is Larkin too committed to Rogers State?
My understanding he was going to focus on that. I think his age groups make it difficult to be a FT coach because Fall is basically a crap shoot on his availability because college soccer is a Fall thing and that's when most OK club teams in the U14-U19 age groups play the large majority of their games. He'll probably still be around to provide some evals for teams and players and step in to help train occasionally...and I can't tell you enough good things about him and the way he teaches the game to players. Good demeanor, teaches the game in an understandable way I've always enjoyed listening to him coach (whether I am the ref of the game or just sitting on the sideline).
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT