ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

No, players aren’t getting a piece of the pie. Some players are getting pie, many are getting crumbs and soon there will be fewer players because the new system will force programs to shut or go to a level where they offer no scholarships or partial ones. So few win but more will lose the opportunity. It isn’t the schools that are paying these crazy amounts from their TV $$$ to share the pie. It is big money fans that are trying to buy championships or influence in the sports world.
Let me know when a program shuts down because of NIL and the portal. D2 basketball teams are mostly full scholarship guys with 10 scholarships. NAIA is still eight scholarships. That’s still pretty darn good when other aid can be added to those numbers.

2024 Transfer Portal

Does this surprise you in today's political climate where some of the more extreme members of the GOP have publicly stated women don't belong in college or educated. Their job is to produce babies (yes I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially the gist and you've seen more and more members of Congress like Tuberville and even more extreme with members of individual state legislatures, taking this stance). By removing the athletic equation from universities and taking federal money out of the equation, the need to adhere to Title IX by these athletic depts. is removed. Before long the athletic depts. that can will remove themselves from being parts of the universities and incorporate under the NIL collectives.

It's going to be a weird dynamic because schools right now are claiming the $ puts more back into their school because they don't have to use general fund for athletics. The giants will move towards this because they really don't need to academic institutions any more and without the faux academic constraints anymore they will basically be an NFL developmental league. The catch will be how do they continue to use a university's name and maintain that connection because they certainly don't want to dry up that alumni pool of money without the DOE saying they're still a part and still fall under Title IX
TU_BLA….most universities are ran by very liberal individuals. They are in fact the ones behind our new realty. Not sure what extreme members of GOP Congress have to do with the current situation with our universities. I don’t view the current college landscape from a political standpoint. I view it from a greed perspective.
Reactions: noble cane

2024 Transfer Portal

The first nail in the coffin was OU and UGA Board of Regents vs NCAA which formed the CFA... TU and other programs tripped all over themselves to qualify for the CFA rather than banding together to snuff it. We are finally reaching the endgame of that decision.

I find it ironic that the very marginalized groups that these overglorified bastions of enlightened thinking claim to value the most are going to be the ones most directly affected.

Opportunities for women and minorities to achieve a college education will shrink as a result. These instituions will wring their hands and lament the plight of these groups. All while raking in huge bucks on the backs of 30 yr old 10th yr senior grad students thst couldnt make the league.
Does this surprise you in today's political climate where some of the more extreme members of the GOP have publicly stated women don't belong in college or educated. Their job is to produce babies (yes I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially the gist and you've seen more and more members of Congress like Tuberville and even more extreme with members of individual state legislatures, taking this stance). By removing the athletic equation from universities and taking federal money out of the equation, the need to adhere to Title IX by these athletic depts. is removed. Before long the athletic depts. that can will remove themselves from being parts of the universities and incorporate under the NIL collectives.

It's going to be a weird dynamic because schools right now are claiming the $ puts more back into their school because they don't have to use general fund for athletics. The giants will move towards this because they really don't need to academic institutions any more and without the faux academic constraints anymore they will basically be an NFL developmental league. The catch will be how do they continue to use a university's name and maintain that connection because they certainly don't want to dry up that alumni pool of money without the DOE saying they're still a part and still fall under Title IX

2024 Transfer Portal

So you have zero issue with how all this is going down? Knowing good and well that it harms institutions like TU?
The first nail in the coffin was OU and UGA Board of Regents vs NCAA which formed the CFA... TU and other programs tripped all over themselves to qualify for the CFA rather than banding together to snuff it. We are finally reaching the endgame of that decision.

I find it ironic that the very marginalized groups that these overglorified bastions of enlightened thinking claim to value the most are going to be the ones most directly affected.

Opportunities for women and minorities to achieve a college education will shrink as a result. These instituions will wring their hands and lament the plight of these groups. All while raking in huge bucks on the backs of 30 yr old 10th yr senior grad students thst couldnt make the league.

Local HS Soccer

Strange high school sports fact. Soccer is the only 6A sport where Seniors are allowed to play JV.
Yep. Weird thing at Union is there are 2 JV teams. 1 is mostly FR and SO although there is 1 SR that plays with them because he splits his time between soccer and tennis (which is weird). The other one is mostly JR/SR with a couple of SO who get rostered with varsity but not always play. Anyway, when my son was a FR/SO and playing on that team, they were really good and they played a schedule heavy with 4A and 5A varsity teams...and kicking the crap out of them. The upper JV team this year is pretty good as a whole although there are some glaring weaknesses when there is an injury. The lower JV team this year is just terrible. Like, really really bad which makes me concerned for what happens to Union's varsity in 2 years. Next year they will be fine but their GK situation is probably going to be the weakest it's been in 10 years. The 2 JRs are not very good and very inconsistent with aspects of the game many would consider vital to being a solid GK. They lose a CB but I think they'll be OK there, the outside FBs will be fine next year, the MF should be fine next year, and they will return some pretty good Fs. Matter of fact, looking ahead to next year, I think only BK returns their GK and he's pretty good and BA has a kid on JV that I think should get the starting nod next year. Jenks loses 2 SR GKs, Bixby loses a SR GK and there's not much behind them at either school (from what I've seen so far). 6A could be a complete crap shoot next year to be honest. BA loses a ton of starters to graduation. Union loses maybe 3-4 but they will be OK if they can get a GK to step up.

So OSSAA is kind of weird with how they allow student athletes to participate. Football players are not allowed to start practicing or doing anything with basketball or wrestling until their football season is over. Basketball players aren't allowed to participate in Spring sports (soccer, tennis, golf, baseball) until their basketball season has concluded. BUT, players are allowed to participate in multiple sports in the same season. As mentioned, there is a soccer player who also plays varsity tennis at Union. The girls team has a starting defender who also plays varsity tennis. It makes so sense to me that OSSAA would restrict kids from playing/practicing for sports that are in different seasons but it's fine to play 2 sports in the same season. This was a big issue for the girls soccer team a couple years ago because Taylor Malham missed the 1st 5-6 games of the season while finishing up basketball.

BTW, senior night for Union is next Friday vs Bishop Kelley if anyone wants to come out. 4:30 JV, 8:00PM varsity boys, senior night activities probably starting around 7:30pm for the boys.
Reactions: lawpoke87

2024 Transfer Portal

Ruined? Nah. Players are finally getting their piece of the pie. It’s how it should be.
No, players aren’t getting a piece of the pie. Some players are getting pie, many are getting crumbs and soon there will be fewer players because the new system will force programs to shut or go to a level where they offer no scholarships or partial ones. So few win but more will lose the opportunity. It isn’t the schools that are paying these crazy amounts from their TV $$$ to share the pie. It is big money fans that are trying to buy championships or influence in the sports world.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT