ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Call Ever

TUTigerCane

I.T.S. Sophomore
Nov 30, 2007
Not much happening on the board so I decided to try to have a little fun with something different. This is a contest to post the worst call ever. It can made by an official in any sport. I am starting it off with my own entry:

Marc Gasol has possession of the ball and is standing stationary when Chris Paul runs into him. Gasol is called for a blocking foul. It's a shame that this clip doesn't have sound. I would love to hear the crowd reaction.

If someone posts an entry that I feel is better than mine then I will make a modest custom donation to the TU Basketball NIL fund. I am the sole judge and I am somewhat biased. I really think that my entry is strong. However, I will give you my honest opinion and I will give you the tie breaker, if one should exist, if your entry features a call involving a TU player, either current or former. I'll leave it open through the end of May. That will give me time to save up some money.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The third foul against Shea Seals against Clemson in the NCAA Tournament.

For the handful of Tulsa fans that were at that game, we weren’t dismayed as much about the Seals fouls as we were the miss after miss after miss from the foul line.

Lol ...great topic dante Swanson 2000 elite eight game ..I can remember as a kid 1969 radio call from len Morton saying that was goal tending my grandpa jumped up and said anyone could see it was...he was that big of fan...sat behind the tu bench during all of the 60's and 70's

Some may put the ‘72 Olympics in this category, but that was more of a conspiracy from the international basketball federation and not really on the game officials.

Some may put the ‘72 Olympics in this category, but that was more of a conspiracy from the international basketball federation and not really on the game officials.
The game management by the officials on that one was the absolute WORST EVER. If they weren't bought off and throwing the game to the Russians, then they were easily the most incompetent officials ever.

I've seen a lot of bad ones against TU, but hard to top this one in a college baseball game this year:

That's awful and pretty obvious the umpire had a vendetta against that player for whatever reason. He should no longer be allowed to do games involving that team. I understand that bad calls or missed calls happen, it's part of the game and it gives fans something to blame if things don't turn out right for your team. BUT...those seem to be blatant and intentional for whatever reason, this umpire just didn't give a f-ck...he was done with that situation. And it's situations like these that are going to drive the game to using an AI ball and strike caller. The tech is already there. MLB is grading their umpires on their ball/strike calls in games already and believe it or not, it's actually helping the umpires get better. I was watching a game last night and the homeplate umpire seemed spot on on every ball/strike call and calling the entire strike zone which 4-5 years ago didn't happen.

Let's hope this umpire is held accountable.

MLB is grading their umpires on their ball/strike calls in games already and believe it or not, it's actually helping the umpires get better.
People don't do what you expect but what you inspect.

“Never, ever, think about something else when you should be thinking about the power of incentives.”
-Charlie Munger

That's awful and pretty obvious the umpire had a vendetta against that player for whatever reason. He should no longer be allowed to do games involving that team. I understand that bad calls or missed calls happen, it's part of the game and it gives fans something to blame if things don't turn out right for your team. BUT...those seem to be blatant and intentional for whatever reason, this umpire just didn't give a f-ck...he was done with that situation. And it's situations like these that are going to drive the game to using an AI ball and strike caller. The tech is already there. MLB is grading their umpires on their ball/strike calls in games already and believe it or not, it's actually helping the umpires get better. I was watching a game last night and the homeplate umpire seemed spot on on every ball/strike call and calling the entire strike zone which 4-5 years ago didn't happen.

Let's hope this umpire is held accountable.
He should never be allowed to ever call any game again!

The 1984 OU Texas game was filled with crooked calls. One incomplete pass was so notorious it was recreated as part of the movie Friday Night Lights in the final game between Permian and Carter.

But skip ahead for the Keith Stansbury (RIP) interception at 9:00.

In the so bad it’s comical category … I watched part of this fight in the TU fish bowl.

This play is the reason FIFA began studying VAR and eventually adopting it.

But, this bad call has its own Wikipedia page, so I’m going with it as the worst call ever …

Reactions: TU_BLA
But, this bad call has its own Wikipedia page, so I’m going with it as the worst call ever …

I watched that on live TV. It was a goal. :) This would've come back today, but I was pumped to see Argentina get the win, even if there were some shenanigans, as I was a big Maradona fan at that time. I was a 12-year old soccer player and couldn't believe some of the runs and goals Maradona made in that tournament.

Reactions: HuffyCane
In the so bad it’s comical category … I watched part of this fight in the TU fish bowl.

I remember this and it was a catalyst for the current Olympic boxing scoring where a majority of the judges have to acknowledge a punch landed and then the tally at the end of the round gives to the highest # of landed punches and scores the round 10-9 unless there is a point deducted by the ring ref. No more arbitrary scoring.

That call is doubly bad. He's offside clearly. And there was no rule at the time about who played it and it was certainly not intentionally played in that direction by the England player. The handball is a harder call because of the referee's position on the play and Maradona did a really good job of disguising it if you weren't standing right there.

Today, Maradona would have been onside because the ball was intentionally played by a defender BUT VAR would take that goal back for handball in a heart beat.

You guys did a great job. No sense delaying this any further. I think that you all beat my entry. Time for me to pony up. My check is in the mail to the Hurricane Impact fund.

I'll try to be a bit creative and say it was the call made to Keith Burn's saying "The University of Tulsa is excited to extend an invitation for you to become the Head Football Coach."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT