ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman Ineligible to Play for Memphis

If report is true, does Memphis have any choice but to fire Penny right now? Seriously. They’re saying he paid for Wiseman’s family to move to Memphis to join the AAU team.

Memphis getting what they deserve.

If report is true, does Memphis have any choice but to fire Penny right now? Seriously. They’re saying he paid for Wiseman’s family to move to Memphis to join the AAU team.

oh Memphis isn’t prestigious like us they’re fighting it: https://es.pn/36IDzXD

Penny will get a rap on the back of his hand, and might lose his star recruit. That's about all that will probably come of this. The only threats about this have been toward Wiseman's eligibility. Haven't heard anything about Penny's ability to be a coach being threatened. If that was an issue then Penny's status as coach would have been part of the announcement. It should be an issue, but I doubt it.

That was really stupid of Penny to help him move. He could have found friends to help him move. He is this close to payday and they both pull a stunt like this, dumb.

Reactions: eastcane
He can play pro tomorrow in China. Then NBA # 1 next year.

Shelby County Judge ruled he could play. The Judge's seats are in section 102 Row 4.

Reactions: eastcane and Gold*
Wiseman playing. I know they are not playing duke but man they are good. Memphis could win whole tournament

Wiseman’s attorney is named “Les Ballin”. Can’t make some of these things up

Is she related to the Ball Brothers.
s-l1600.jpg

He can play pro tomorrow in China. Then NBA # 1 next year.

Shelby County Judge ruled he could play. The Judge's seats are in section 102 Row 4.

This case is getting sent to federal court so fast. It’s mind-boggling that the state court judge touched it. That said, when the NCAA argues the case is worth more than $75,000 . . . Cough, cough, cough . . .

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Silas says this is a routine ineligibility. And..... using a local TRO could result in Memphis (those dirty cheaters) being held ineligible for the NCAA tourney. Make it so.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We need a better lawyer to fight eligibility for our players.

Reactions: loca2874
This case is getting sent to federal court so fast. It’s mind-boggling that the state court judge touched it. That said, when the NCAA argues the case is worth more than $75,000 . . . Cough, cough, cough . . .

I'm not so sure it gets transferred to federal court. It's not Memphis suing the NCAA but its Wiseman that is suing both the NCAA and Memphis as co-defendants. This is good lawyering by Wiseman's attorney to not only destroy diversity but it also gives Memphis an argument that they have to play Wiseman or they are in violation of a court order. Also I'm not sure that the NCAA as a national regulatory organization doesn't have the minimum contacts with all 50 states in any case. The venue might be changed out of Shelby County but I think it is likely to remain in a Tennessee court.

Honestly I think that this will settle with Wiseman having to sit out a few games, Penny also being suspended for a few games and the NCAA possibly requiring the money to be paid back by the Wiseman family.

We need a better lawyer to fight eligibility for our players.
Think we just need someone with some fight in them. Based on the outcome of others it should have been relatively easy to get our guys their waivers.

So a slap on the wrist for Penny and Wiseman and the NCAA chocking on the bitter pill they’ll be swallowing.

I'm not so sure it gets transferred to federal court. It's not Memphis suing the NCAA but its Wiseman that is suing both the NCAA and Memphis as co-defendants. This is good lawyering by Wiseman's attorney to not only destroy diversity but it also gives Memphis an argument that they have to play Wiseman or they are in violation of a court order. Also I'm not sure that the NCAA as a national regulatory organization doesn't have the minimum contacts with all 50 states in any case. The venue might be changed out of Shelby County but I think it is likely to remain in a Tennessee court.

Honestly I think that this will settle with Wiseman having to sit out a few games, Penny also being suspended for a few games and the NCAA possibly requiring the money to be paid back by the Wiseman family.
I'm pretty sure he'll have to pay back the 'loan' unless they just give up and go play in China/wait for the draft.

I stated it badly and wrongly. I'll try again.

Even if Memphis is excluded as a nominal defendant, I think it is still likely that the NCAA as an unincorporated association would take the citizenship of its members, in this case TN.

There’s too much other case law where they have been in federal court. It’s an interesting argument, but I think the federal court will say they want it and that’s where it will go.

So a slap on the wrist for Penny and Wiseman and the NCAA chocking on the bitter pill they’ll be swallowing.

Well, if you are a high school football coach and an alum/booster of an SEC team and you give financial help to a kid, they make a movie about it (The Blind Side).

When Penny gave the Wiseman family money to move from Nashville to Memphis in 2017, he was the coach at East high school. He wasn't the coach at Memphis. He wasn't an employee. The NCAA has stated that he was a booster because he gave $1 mill to the University to build a sports hall of fame in 2008 and that once a booster always a booster. That's fine, but he wasn't recruiting him to Memphis he was recruiting him to East. If that make no difference then that's fine too except they shouldn't have initially ruled him eligible. Penny is made the coach of Memphis in March 2018. Wiseman commits to Memphis in November 2018.

Wiseman's attorney has stated that the NCAA had been made aware of Penny's payments before they issued Wiseman a certificate of eligibility in May 2019. What subsequently changed between then and October 2019 when they said that Wiseman was "likely ineligible"? He doesn't know. The NCAA hasn't said. I'm cynical enough to think that what changed was a complaint from a Blue Blood institution or its coach who lost a recruit that they felt entitled to and above all else they protect the Blue Bloods.

Well, if you are a high school football coach and an alum/booster of an SEC team and you give financial help to a kid, they make a movie about it (The Blind Side).

When Penny gave the Wiseman family money to move from Nashville to Memphis in 2017, he was the coach at East high school. He wasn't the coach at Memphis. He wasn't an employee. The NCAA has stated that he was a booster because he gave $1 mill to the University to build a sports hall of fame in 2008 and that once a booster always a booster. That's fine, but he wasn't recruiting him to Memphis he was recruiting him to East. If that make no difference then that's fine too except they shouldn't have initially ruled him eligible. Penny is made the coach of Memphis in March 2018. Wiseman commits to Memphis in November 2018.

Wiseman's attorney has stated that the NCAA had been made aware of Penny's payments before they issued Wiseman a certificate of eligibility in May 2019. What subsequently changed between then and October 2019 when they said that Wiseman was "likely ineligible"? He doesn't know. The NCAA hasn't said. I'm cynical enough to think that what changed was a complaint from a Blue Blood institution or its coach who lost a recruit that they felt entitled to and above all else they protect the Blue Bloods.

Given those circumstances Penny and Memphis appear to be on side of smearing egg all over the face of the NCAA. I hate seeing Memphis on the right side of anything related to their hoops program with its illustrious history of ethical conduct.

In the eyes of the NCAA once you give money to a school, no matter how small the amount you are a booster. I get emails occasionally from the GHC on the responsibility of boosters when it comes to recruitable student athletes. Penny provided what would be considered improper financial aid to a recruitable student athlete and then a few months later recruited him to play for Memphis. If this stands the NCAA might as well disband and let it be the Wild West with the richest schools getting the best players. Honestly most HS athletic associations would consider what he did improper recruiting and would declare Wiseman ineligible.

If any TU booster gives significant money to a potential TU’s recruit’s family then it is a major violation to sign that player. That has been the rule for ages. Doesn’t matter if the booster is a potential coach or a used car dealer. We get notices from our compliance guy at TU warning of this. That would be like me sending a $11500 check to the Thompson family and us signing Bryce. If the NCAA folds on this one I might come up with “gifts” for our future recruits’ families.

In the eyes of the NCAA once you give money to a school, no matter how small the amount you are a booster. I get emails occasionally from the GHC on the responsibility of boosters when it comes to recruitable student athletes. Penny provided what would be considered improper financial aid to a recruitable student athlete and then a few months later recruited him to play for Memphis. If this stands the NCAA might as well disband and let it be the Wild West with the richest schools getting the best players. Honestly most HS athletic associations would consider what he did improper recruiting and would declare Wiseman ineligible.

Tennessee did, and Penny sued over it.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...tion-ryan-boyce-james-wiseman-play/886867001/

Sound familiar? Penny has always been dirty, just like his college program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT