ADVERTISEMENT

What the H3ll is wrong with the Minneapolis Police?

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
As much as 8 minutes with his weight on someone's throat? At times one leg in the air putting all his weight on the man down. Three other cops doing nothing to stop it. Police are not supposed to be executioners. They should be charged with murder.

I am a Conservative Republican, but this is absolutely police criminal abuse.

Agree. FBI and DOJ have been called in as well as local authorities. There will and should be charges.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah. The only difference between murder and manslaughter in an unlawful death is that we don’t punish people as murderers who don’t intend to kill or don’t appreciate the risk in their behavior. Here, you have police officers who have the training to avoid injury using appropriate compliance techniques and experience responding to countless deaths resulting from strangulation as well as other types of negligent and reckless deaths. They must have appreciated the risk even if he didn’t say “I can’t breathe”. Murder charges are appropriate. It’s a question of fact for the jury to decide if they intended to kill, since they knew or should have
appreciated the high risk of death from this behavior.

I'm as big of an advocate against police brutality as anyone, but the rioting that I'm seeing in Minneapolis right now has gone too far in response.

Reactions: noble cane
I'm as big of an advocate against police brutality as anyone, but the rioting that I'm seeing in Minneapolis right now has gone too far in response.

I agree but "rioting" is the wrong word.. "looting" or "pillaging" seems more appropriate.

Too far, yes. But when the government:

1. Closes a guy’s employer down so he can’t make money
2. Arrests him for using a fake $20 bill to buy food because he no longer has a job
3. Kills him for resisting because he’s justifiably frustrated and thinks his situation is bulls***

Riots is what you get.

And then when the police union ensures as little accountability as possible and gets 3 of these guys re-instated with back pay a year from now....

This is how you lose legitimacy and even people who are normally on your side will stop backing you.

2. Arrests him for using a fake $20 bill to buy food because he no longer has a job
3. Kills him for resisting because he’s justifiably frustrated and thinks his situation is bulls***

Riots is what you get.

And then when the police union ensures as little accountability as possible and gets 3 of these guys re-instated with back pay a year from now....

This is how you lose legitimacy and even people who are normally on your side will stop backing you.

Where did the guy work?

Riots is what you get.

It doesn't help the community to destroy businesses where other people are now going to lose their jobs though. I absolutely get the frustration and I want police officers to be held to much higher standards, but the people that these rioters are standing up against are just going to use these actions as justification for police using increased force. Violence and destruction begets violence and destruction. I think it would be better if we had more leaders that promoted peaceful change similar to that brought on by Dr. King. Looting is counterproductive.

Reactions: TUMe
Yeah. The only difference between murder and manslaughter in an unlawful death is that we don’t punish people as murderers who don’t intend to kill or don’t appreciate the risk in their behavior. Here, you have police officers who have the training to avoid injury using appropriate compliance techniques and experience responding to countless deaths resulting from strangulation as well as other types of negligent and reckless deaths. They must have appreciated the risk even if he didn’t say “I can’t breathe”. Murder charges are appropriate. It’s a question of fact for the jury to decide if they intended to kill, since they knew or should have
appreciated the high risk of death from this behavior.
Thank you for this explanation. I knew there was a difference and I got blasted by someone on Twitter for saying the likelihood they get charged with manslaughter is greater because of intent. There's more to it as you explained so there might be a case to be made for a murder charge.

It doesn't help the community to destroy businesses where other people are now going to lose their jobs though. I absolutely get the frustration and I want police officers to be held to much higher standards, but the people that these rioters are standing up against are just going to use these actions as justification for police using increased force. Violence and destruction begets violence and destruction. I think it would be better if we had more leaders that promoted peaceful change similar to that brought on by Dr. King. Looting is counterproductive.

I've never understood the desire to destroy your own neighborhood and the jobs of those who work there. It's akin to me getting pissed off at my neighbor and then burning down my own house. Hopefully we see some leadership and the looting and burning ends. As Aston said.....all this takes away from the act itself and hurts those who live in that area for years to come.

It would make more sense to be damaging government property, but the police response would be harsher

Thank you for this explanation. I knew there was a difference and I got blasted by someone on Twitter for saying the likelihood they get charged with manslaughter is greater because of intent. There's more to it as you explained so there might be a case to be made for a murder charge.
Normally, they are right. A 22 year old bouncer or target loss prevention guard that leans on a guy to restrain him until the cops shows up that ends up killing him, that’s classic manslaughter. He initiated physical contact with the intent to restrain him, not kill him. As long as he isn’t committing some other felony, that’s classic manslaughter. But in this case, the training level and the method of the restraint may be enough that a jury could determine that they had sufficient awareness of what they were doing was risky to form the intent to purposefully kill. I would charge second degree murder if I had those facts if I was the prosecutor and would likely vote guilty on a lesser included of manslaughter if I was a juror, based solely on what I’ve seen on video. There could be other considerations we don’t know that “justifies“ the risk of that restraint that would still make the conduct criminal but not murderous or manslaughtery. Either way focus on the obvious risk of the behavior rather than the brutality or the result, and you still arrive at criminal liability. That would be my advice to the prosecutors.

And I’ll say this about the “fake” $20. I’ve gotten one out of an ATM at Bank of America. We don’t know how this gentleman got his $20, do we? We may never know.

Give the “cop” that murdered the man the death penalty, if they have it in Minnesota.

Reactions: TUMe and maverickfp
There it is. They realize that a much larger percentage of people are sympathetic this time and that the police are on their heels and not willing to go to the lengths it would take to stop this.

1. I would give the killer the death penalty.

2. I am proud of all of the white protesters who joined in and help carry stuff out of Target and the AutoZone store.

3. What the Hell is third degree murder and how do you charge that and manslaughter.

Last edited:
Anyone want to place bets that some rioters will spend more time in jail than the cop that killed the guy?

1. I would give the killer the death penalty.

2. I am proud of all of the white protesters who joined in and help carry stuff out of Target and the AutoZone store.

3. What the Hell is third degree murder and how do you charge that and manslaughter.
See my discussion above, a few states, including Minnesota and Florida, have third degree murder. In recent posts I’ve talked about “felony murder” where you are guilty of murder if during the commission of a violent felony you intend to commit, a death occurs that you didn’t intend to commit. That’s one type of crime where you unlawfully killed but didn’t intend to kill, so the harsh punishment of murder isn’t appropriate. It’s called third degree murder. Third degree can also be a “depraved heart” murder. The reasoning being that you might not intent to kill but you commit an act that causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind without regard for human life. Which was what I was talking about above. The jury could find that the act of laying on his neck was so eminently dangerous and known to any reasonable officer to be dangerous that the commission of the act itself is evidence of the necessary mens rea or mindset to prove he intended to commit unpremeditated murder. That would be second degree murder. In Florida the max penalty for third degree murder with no priors is 25 years. For second degree murder it’s up to life in prison of which 14 consecutive years must be served on that sentence with no gain time or good behavior, hard years, before parole eligibility can be determined. Most serve at least 27 years and are typically released only when their medical bills are too costly. So you tell me. What does he deserve? 18 months to 25 years at the discretion of the judge or at least 14 years, maybe life?

FWIW, I used to teach evidence at a police academy. They made me go through some of the training. We learned on the first day a handcuffed person on their stomach MAY suffocate themselves in about 2 minutes. I’m surprised the victim survived that long and he had the guy choking him. This is some real effed up stuff beyond the obvious. It’s why your cop neighbor who usually hides behind the blue line is on Facebook talking like an expert and screaming for punishment.

Last edited:
Anyone want to place bets that some rioters will spend more time in jail than the cop that killed the guy?

Seven people were shot last night alone in the riots in Louisville. Pretty good bet that some of the rioters doing to the shooting will spend more time in jail than someone with a third degree murder conviction.

That is interesting. But it doesn’t change my analysis. And the people burning things have their own reasons to do so.

So let's say the ME is right. Will it be harder to prove that the officer's kneeling on his neck is what killed him?

Last edited:
So let's say the ME is right. Will it be harder to prove that the officer's kneeling on his neck is what killed him?
Not really. It will make it easier to raise a doubt in the juror’s minds but it doesn’t change the analysis. Compliance techniques/policies are in place to prevent/minimize injuries like this. Techniques/policies that account for unseen vulnerabilities like coronary or respiratory distress.

The reason those techniques exist is that you are criminally/civilly liable for the result no matter the intention. It’s the result that counts. The classic example is the “egg shell” skull. If I punch you and you have some rare unknown bone disease and it crushes your skull, I’m going down for manslaughter. I intended to punch, the punch killed, but I didn’t intend to kill. Classic manslaughter. In the civil arena, let’s say I’ve been in six previous car accidents and I previously broke my back in the rodeo. If you hit me and I wind up in a wheelchair, it doesn’t matter that a regular person might have walked away. You pay for a wreck that causes me to be crippled.

He was cuffed. There was no reason to be doing what they were doing other than they wanted to. From what I’ve seen and heard so far, that is. So yeah, I’d still charge 3rd degree murder. But I was famous for overcharging cases back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
I suspect that Chauvin can also be charged under the hate crimes statute as well. They can then fire up old sparky for him.

if I owned a vandalized business in minn, I would file charges against the city for not protecting my property, blm, naacp, and any other organization which has allowed the riots to persist,

if I owned a vandalized business in minn, I would file charges against the city for not protecting my property, blm, naacp, and any other organization which has allowed the riots to persist,
So, I can file charges against the GOP for "allowing" gun violence to persist?

Reactions: TU 1978
I suspect that Chauvin can also be charged under the hate crimes statute as well. They can then fire up old sparky for him.
It doesn’t work that way. MN has a sentencing enhancement statute that allows for a 25 percent increase in the maximum sentence. The prosecutors have to charge that, which they didn’t here, but that could change. So he would have to get the maximum for the hate crime enhancer to make any difference. I’m skeptical a judge would give the full 6.25 extra years and risk appeal since there’s no direct evidence of prejuduce in this case. Unless he said something on tape like “Help me hurt this ______” and even then it may not be enough. It’s not that the incident might be caused by bias or the jury finds that. You need direct evidence that they acted with specific intent to commit the crime to injure someone of a protected class. This is a cross burning statute. A lynching statute. A KKK shoots the only black guy in the lobby during a bank robbery statute. A murder the radio host because he’s a Jew statute. It’s not enough to be a racist or that your racism caused the crime, the evidence has to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime because of, or in furtherance of, your racism. We don’t have that here — yet.

I hope this helps.

At the risk of being burned as a witch, is it too much to ask for even a single piece of evidence that the officer was motivated by racial bias before everyone comes to that conclusion? I get the history and how the situation lead to riots, but it seems strange to me that everyone just kind of immediately accepted the narrative that this officer was racist rather than just a bad person. He very well could be. I’d just like to have an actual reason to come to that conclusion

At the risk of being burned as a witch, is it too much to ask for even a single piece of evidence that the officer was motivated by racial bias before everyone comes to that conclusion? I get the history and how the situation lead to riots, but it seems strange to me that everyone just kind of immediately accepted the narrative that this officer was racist rather than just a bad person. He very well could be. I’d just like to have an actual reason to come to that conclusion
This is exactly the reason there must be direct evidence of the intent to commit the crime based on racial bias. I reviewed too many cases that had racial facts to them, cases that the cops coded as a hate crime for the FBI statistics. Usually guys saying dumb stuff in the parking lots of bars. I only charged it once. It’s not enough to shout to your friends “Hit this ____” as he exits a bar where he was seen hitting someone else himself moments before hand. You’ve gotta to have facts like a guy sitting in his car in the parking lot texting his friends “Come down to Sparkey’s and we will jump the first ____ we see leave the bar.”

The former happens a lot. The latter almost never.

So any enhanced sentence will get reversed on appeal without that evidence. We don’t punish some people more severely for what they think or what we think they think. We don’t even punish them more severely when they say dumb racist stuff while committing a crime. We do punish them when their repulsive thoughts are the reasons why they commit the crime and they tell us in their own words that’s the reason why they are committing the crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clong83a
I care less about the racial motivation and more about poor training and misuse of force with these police officers. This isn't just something that can only happen to blacks.

This cop crossed the line, heads need to roll.

I wonder how many other interfaces
(hundreds of thousands) between a white cop and a person of color occur in a day with a satifactory outcome, but this one becomes the poster child.

It doesn’t work that way. MN has a sentencing enhancement statute that allows for a 25 percent increase in the maximum sentence. The prosecutors have to charge that, which they didn’t here, but that could change. So he would have to get the maximum for the hate crime enhancer to make any difference. I’m skeptical a judge would give the full 6.25 extra years and risk appeal since there’s no direct evidence of prejuduce in this case. Unless he said something on tape like “Help me hurt this ______” and even then it may not be enough. It’s not that the incident might be caused by bias or the jury finds that. You need direct evidence that they acted with specific intent to commit the crime to injure someone of a protected class. This is a cross burning statute. A lynching statute. A KKK shoots the only black guy in the lobby during a bank robbery statute. A murder the radio host because he’s a Jew statute. It’s not enough to be a racist or that your racism caused the crime, the evidence has to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime because of, or in furtherance of, your racism. We don’t have that here — yet.

I hope this helps.

So if the DOJ / FBI and federal level determine that a hate crime was committed wouldn't that override what the state did?

So if the DOJ / FBI and federal level determine that a hate crime was committed wouldn't that override what the state did?
No. They can file their own separate prosecution against the guy, but their own guidelines on civil rights/hate crimes prosecutions state that they must let the state take the lead, so long as they are doing a good job. If it looks like the public won’t have confidence that the state prosecution will meet constitutional minimums, then they can step in.

As a practical matter, he could get 25 years in state court. A civil rights action would be far far less, even with the death as an aggravator at sentencing. They can punish civil rights violations with death, if a death occurs, but the way federal sentencing is imposed is convoluted and difficult to explain here to non-lawyers. Death is unlikely under these facts. For for no other reason than the cap is ten years on the underlying crime, but you are trying to enhance wildly up to death. The anti-death penalty lobby would freak out. That death enhancer is there for heinous planned racial killings like some type of Oklahoma City bombing scale planned attack on a black mega church or perhaps multiple deaths intended to intimidate racial minorities against public participation and protections like the 3 civil rights workers in MS in the 60s. The feds will likely yield, but this is an election year so who knows. A single death under color of authority that appears defensible as accident isn’t death penalty ready. You need facts where it cannot be controverted that the defendant displayed such disregard for human life that they have forfeited theirs. We don’t have that here.

Last edited:
This cop crossed the line, heads need to roll.

I wonder how many other interfaces
(hundreds of thousands) between a white cop and a person of color occur in a day with a satifactory outcome, but this one becomes the poster child.
1 is too many.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT