ADVERTISEMENT

Western Michigan

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Hoping Haith comes out with a legitimate plan on Thursday. WM has a stud for a guard in Thomas Wilder. He can do pretty much everything you would ask of a guard offensively. He drives extremely well, he can hit the pull up from anywhere on the court (even NBA range) and he'll get guys into foul trouble. Averaged 19 per game last season. Their team went 16-16, but was really young. I'm intrigued to see what our plan is. Are we going to let him get his while limiting everyone else, or are we going to try and limit him while opening ourselves up to his teammates?

They'll be the biggest team we've played so far. Starting lineup against South Carolina last night was 6-2,6-3,6-6,6-8,7-0. They were the best 3-pt shooting team in the MAC last year, but struggled last night. Everything runs through Wilder, so we might see some box-and-1.

KenPom says TU wins 77-74. I'd take it.

Box + 1 was kind of what I was thinking. I also think getting him into foul trouble might be good strategy. Run every pick and roll right at him. Try and make him switch onto Etou and have Etou roll right at him. Also having Jeffries trying to deny him the ball in the halfcourt

Western Michigan should be a nice test for the team. They aren't an NCAA at-large type of team imo but they are one of the best teams in the MAC. We will have to play well and be tough on the interior. Should tell us whether Lamar was just a bad night or that we aren't as good as many of us thought at this stage of the season. For the third game of the season this is a fairly important game.

Box + 1 was kind of what I was thinking. I also think getting him into foul trouble might be good strategy. Run every pick and roll right at him. Try and make him switch onto Etou and have Etou roll right at him. Also having Jeffries trying to deny him the ball in the halfcourt
Our luck would be the picka nd roll would work to get the ball to Etou and the refs start making up crap about how he used the off arm to push off...like it happens on every single play going to the basket in every single game across America...but our guy would get called for a foul.

I don't think I've ever seen a Haith team play a box and 1. That defense will work against a 2 or 3 who is the primary scoring threat. It is not always effective against a PG who usually has the ball in his hands before he crosses half court. I would say a 2-1-2 press to force the ball out of his hands early and run some of the shot clock down and then it forces them to take the best open look after that. Our goal should be to rebound and push the ball up the court as quickly as possible. Our most effective offense against ORU was when we started to push tempo late in the 1st half (and when Joiner and Taplin were both in). I have a feeling this will be a standard thing for our team as Etou, Igbanu, and even Artison run the floor well and Artison as a trailer can be especially dangerous.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Western Michigan should be a nice test for the team. They aren't an NCAA at-large type of team imo but they are one of the best teams in the MAC. We will have to play well and be tough on the interior. Should tell us whether Lamar was just a bad night or that we aren't as good as many of us thought at this stage of the season. For the third game of the season this is a fairly important game.
I think it will tell us how our size deficiency may play out through the season.

I’m really not sure how to feel about western Michigan... I know they have some size on the inside, but having size doesn’t always equal a good front court. They do have a good guard that we’ll have to try to keep from going off, but over all what am I missing here?

They beat an NAIA school pretty soundly and then were easily beat by South Carolina. Their stats are skewed because they scored over 100 on an NAIA school that somehow counts towards an actual season game. That would be like us including all our stats from the beat downs of our exhibition opponents... further it looks like their perimeter d may be lacking based on the points given up to not only South Carolina but also sienna hights.

Hopefully we get in there and get the job done tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go off of this season's stats when looking at them. You're right that they played an NAIA school and it was a slaughter. On the other hand you can't really look at their game against South Carolina either as Carolina held them to well under 40% shooting from the floor which I can guarantee you Tulsa won't do. We don't have that Frank Martin type defense. So I'm guessing that against a worse defensive team Western Michigan could have some success.

Ok so looking at last years stats for them doesn’t paint any prettier of a picture. The only other player who averaged more than 10 points per game was a senior last year. Both of their big men didn’t do much offensively either.

I’m not saying it’ll be a cake walk or that well even win, but I’m just not seeing where western Michigan is some sort of power that we couldn’t handle if we play like were capable of playing.

Ok so looking at last years stats for them doesn’t paint any prettier of a picture. The only other player who averaged more than 10 points per game was a senior last year. Both of their big men didn’t do much offensively either.

I’m not saying it’ll be a cake walk or that well even win, but I’m just not seeing where western Michigan is some sort of power that we couldn’t handle if we play like were capable of playing.
Their big men are mostly just rebounders + outlets on pick and rolls. I'd be more weary of WM's outside shooting combined with their ability to rebound the ball and their star player's ability to drive.

I wouldn't go off of this season's stats when looking at them. You're right that they played an NAIA school and it was a slaughter. On the other hand you can't really look at their game against South Carolina either as Carolina held them to well under 40% shooting from the floor which I can guarantee you Tulsa won't do. We don't have that Frank Martin type defense. So I'm guessing that against a worse defensive team Western Michigan could have some success.
And this year's South Carolina is not supposed to be anywhere near last year's South Carolina. From everything I've read, South Carolina should be about where OkState is this year...and that's not necessarily good

And this year's South Carolina is not supposed to be anywhere near last year's South Carolina. From everything I've read, South Carolina should be about where OkState is this year...and that's not necessarily good
Their defense still seems to be pretty good. I think they'll be pretty close to the South Carolina team we played a couple years ago in Vegas. Martin's defenses are always decent. He just doesn't have the scorers he did last season.

Their defense still seems to be pretty good. I think they'll be pretty close to the South Carolina team we played a couple years ago in Vegas. Martin's defenses are always decent. He just doesn't have the scorers he did last season.
I can buy this. Even when DWs teams failed to find any type of scoring or offensive flow whatsoever, they always seemed to play adequate defense.

I’m really not sure how to feel about western Michigan... I know they have some size on the inside, but having size doesn’t always equal a good front court. They do have a good guard that we’ll have to try to keep from going off, but over all what am I missing here?

They beat an NAIA school pretty soundly and then were easily beat by South Carolina. Their stats are skewed because they scored over 100 on an NAIA school that somehow counts towards an actual season game. That would be like us including all our stats from the beat downs of our exhibition opponents... further it looks like their perimeter d may be lacking based on the points given up to not only South Carolina but also sienna hights.

Hopefully we get in there and get the job done tomorrow night.

You're not missing much, but I do think Wilder is one of the best guards we'll see all year. He's a Damian Lillard at Weber State type player.

Reactions: astonmartin708
You're not missing much, but I do think Wilder is one of the best guards we'll see all year. He's a Damian Lillard at Weber State type player.
Is he comparable to the Illinois State PG (Lee?) from last year?

He's a little bigger than Lee and looks score-first whereas Lee was more pass-first PG. He reminds me more of a Jordan Clarkson.

He's a little bigger than Lee and looks score-first whereas Lee was more pass-first PG. He reminds me more of a Jordan Clarkson.
He looks like Mizzou Clarkson with a better jumpshot. (At least in his highlights)

This game has me filled with...

giphy.gif

OU is blowing out the team picked right below Western Mich (Ball State) by 30 nearing the end of the first half. Complete mismatch athletically.

Last edited:

So do they not have much talent outside Wilder then? A PG like that and an ok cast I’d expect them to be favorites in our game tonight.

So do they not have much talent outside Wilder then? A PG like that and an ok cast I’d expect them to be favorites in our game tonight.

With 4 starters back and an all-star like Wilder, they’re picked to win the MAC Western Division and are the favorites to win the MAC Tournament. I think the 2 point spread indicates this will be a tough game.

With 4 starters back and an all-star like Wilder, they’re picked to win the MAC Western Division and are the favorites to win the MAC Tournament. I think the 2 point spread indicates this will be a tough game.

Thanks! I am hoping I'll have a slow period at work where I can research their team a bit. Makes these early season tournament games more interesting to me and avoids my melting if they get to an early lead when I know they return 4 starters and a seriously talented kid in Wilder.

Thanks! I am hoping I'll have a slow period at work where I can research their team a bit. Makes these early season tournament games more interesting to me and avoids my melting if they get to an early lead when I know they return 4 starters and a seriously talented kid in Wilder.
I'd say they're better than Lamar.

Nobody else stood out when I watched them against South Carolina. The 7-footer is... 7 feet tall. The other big guy looked like the better player, but he fouled out in 12 minutes. I'll be disappointed if Etou can't take advantage.

The rest of their guards are fine, but were out-athleted by South Carolina by quite a bit. They're mostly looking to catch and shoot off Wilder. Unfortunately, we do have a tendency to make those guys look like JJ Redick.

I'd say they're better than Lamar.

Maybe. They got beat by a mediocre South Carolina squad by 18. A South Carolina team who is currently getting whipped by Illinois State. They would finish in the bottom third of the American imo. This is a game we should win. The two point line isn’t near enough.

Nice cut pass to the basket play before last. We're looking pretty good. Even better than against ORU so far.

Last edited:
Well I'm behind but finally a look at this team.

-really challenging to figure out the new guys from this angle
-the announcer called someone Corey Jefferson
-this new espn score bug is no good. And why is it chevron patterned background?!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT