College Football News - Armed Forces vs TCU

247 Sports - Birmingham vs BYU

Athlon Sports - released Monday

Sporting News - Birmingham vs North Texas

USA Today - released Tuesday

Stadium (McMurphy) - Birmingham vs Tennessee
Sporting News sucks Mountain Oysters

Reactions: HuffyCane
What is the best bowl that the aac has a tie in with? Can someone rank the others. How do our bowls compare to other g5 conferences.

I'll continue to update as projections are released:

CBS/Palm - Armed Forces vs Marshall

ESPN - 1st Responder vs Virginia
ESPN - Armed Forces vs TCU

College Football News - Armed Forces vs TCU

247 Sports - Birmingham vs BYU

Athlon Sports - released Monday

Sporting News - Birmingham vs North Texas

USA Today - released Tuesday

Stadium (McMurphy) - Birmingham vs Tennessee
Tulsa vs Virginia in The Servpro First Responder Bowl had a 2019 payoff of $ 825,000 and is in Dallas
OPINION : It’s an opponent with name recognition and easy travel

Tulsa vs TCU in The Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl had a2019 payoff of 1.35 million and is in Ft. Worth

OPINION : Another name opponent , BUT it’s on The Horn Frogs home field

I just do not want to play against some “No Name” scrub team that they always stick us against.
Played well enough to have beaten Va. Tech and Oregon ( actually got jobbed against Oregon )

Reactions: TU_BLA
Holiday, Pinstripe and Hawaii... all cancelled.

Expect many more?

I suspect 1/3 of them will be cancelled... might make it tough to get one.

Reactions: loca2874
It will be fine.

And I’m just fine with beating the Big 12 on their home field.

A who cares ACC opponent with a losing record in SMU’s stadium would be tedious but acceptable.

I think it comes down to FTW or Birmingham if we beat Navy and lose at any point after that. Just a gut feeling.

Well, if you didn’t get Dreamland before at a UAB game, you might get your chance ....

So ServePro is the only bowl left west of the Mississippi for AAC team, no?

I hope we keep winning. If we lose to Navy it could be the Mobile Bowl are some other nonsense if the wheels come completely off.

Last edited:
Don't we have conference tie ins? Contracts?
Not if we look like we can’t fill some of them. Like this one when the bowl wants Navy, SMU or Houston every year. I wonder what ESPN had the PAC12 pay for this and if TU/conference schools gets a cut of the action.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
many.bowls are canceling. Why cant teams left out of the bowls just schedule their own late December matchups

many.bowls are canceling. Why cant teams left out of the bowls just schedule their own late December matchups
NCAA regulations prohibit unsanctioned competitions and prohibit teams not in a bowl from practicing.

Don't we have conference tie ins? Contracts?
We have a tie-in with the Armed Forces and Hawaii bowl on alternating years. The Hawaii bowl cancelled, and now the PAC has a forced hand on the Armed Forces. So that's a tie-in that just poof, up and disappeared.

We have a tie-in with the Armed Forces and Hawaii bowl on alternating years. The Hawaii bowl cancelled, and now the PAC has a forced hand on the Armed Forces. So that's a tie-in that just poof, up and disappeared.
I do not see how they can do that unilaterally if the American is contracted this year.

I do not see how they can do that unilaterally if the American is contracted this year.
ESPN owns the bowl and can do the eff it wants as long as Aresco gives them the farm. I suspect our destination has already been decided now that we’ve beaten Navy. I wouldn’t plan on a holiday in the metroplex.

ESPN owns the bowl and can do the eff it wants as long as Aresco gives them the farm. I suspect our destination has already been decided now that we’ve beaten Navy. I wouldn’t plan on a holiday in the metroplex.
So you are saying Birmingham

The New Mexico Bowl has been moved to the Frisco Bowl. This puts Tulsa, SMU, and Houston competing for the First Responder's Bowl and the locals (SMU and Houston) probably have the inside seat. Any bowl matchup prediction in this goofball year is not worth two cents.

Reactions: loca2874
The New Mexico Bowl has been moved to the Frisco Bowl. This puts Tulsa, SMU, and Houston competing for the First Responder's Bowl and the locals (SMU and Houston) probably have the inside seat. Any bowl matchup prediction in this goofball year is not worth two cents.
We are just as much local to Frisco, TX as Houston is. We have enough alumni in DFW to sell out a 15k allotment of tickets. And we're by far the better team and matchup for whoever would be the matchup in that game. Hell, Houston has had so many COVID problems, the likelihood of them not being able to play in their bowl game is high.

I think a lot of times some people on here have an unrealistic outlook on when the media, conference, teams, fans, etc. disrespect us. A nationally ranked team who played in their conference championship in the Frisco Bowl is disrespectful. Wanting the team to play in a minor bowl instead of the best bowl available just so you can see it live is equally disrespectful IMO. You want this program to grow and get National attention, but only if it doesn’t impact your travel plans. It short changes the players who deserve a better bowl and smacks of small thinking. I’m not against going to Frisco due to CoVid. I am against going to Frisco because our fans are concerned about CoVid. The Rose Bowl won’t have fans. Who cares if our game is empty.

Reactions: bluegold70

The Frisco Bowl (12/19) and the New Mexico Bowl (12/24) will both be played in Frisco TX this year. It’s hard to tell if the AAC has tie-ins to both this year or not.

I think a lot of times some people on here have an unrealistic outlook on when the media, conference, teams, fans, etc. disrespect us. A nationally ranked team who played in their conference championship in the Frisco Bowl is disrespectful. Wanting the team to play in a minor bowl instead of the best bowl available just so you can see it live is equally disrespectful IMO. You want this program to grow and get National attention, but only if it doesn’t impact your travel plans. It short changes the players who deserve a better bowl and smacks of small thinking. I’m not against going to Frisco due to CoVid. I am against going to Frisco because our fans are concerned about CoVid. The Rose Bowl won’t have fans. Who cares if our game is empty.
I want whatever bowl has us not playing San Jose St or some crappy MAC/Sun Belt team. It'd be great if we could get a game against an ACC or SEC team just to see how our defense stacks up. Remember, TU fans don't show up at games, but they do watch the games on TV. Tulsa and OKC are routinely top 10 markets when it comes to watching college football period and it goes even higher when TU/OSU/OU are involved.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I have a strong preference for a "real" bowl game against a top notch opponent regardless of location.

The only time distance from Tulsa comes into the equation is when comparing equally good or equally crappy bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT