ADVERTISEMENT

Walk Ons

jerandlaur

I.T.S. Position Coach
Jan 11, 2007
Tulsa has had some walk on players who ended up making significant contributions to the game and I was wondering if we could start a list of them. I know about Trey Watts but who else started as a walk on and made their way to a starting position?

Tulsa has had some walk on players who ended up making significant contributions to the game and I was wondering if we could start a list of them. I know about Trey Watts but who else started as a walk on and made their way to a starting position?
Matt Linscott.

In recent times, Matt Linscott. I'll think of some others over the next few days.

Max was undersized, but all motor. Great player. Fearless.

For the old timers, starting center Stan Fields in the mid 1980's. Became principal at Nathan Hale while in his 20's.

FYI, I believe I saw Trey Watts standing on the sidelines Saturday during the scrimmage.

Also Tad Jones (Oologah grad and former state rep) quarterbacked virtually the entire game of Tulsa's win at Mizzou in 1994 after Troy DeGar hurt his knee early in the game. The game where Dave Rader did the chicken dance after the Mizzou kicker missed a field goal at the end of the game.

Also Tad Jones (Oologah grad and former state rep) quarterbacked virtually the entire game of Tulsa's win at Mizzou in 1994 after Troy DeGar hurt his knee early in the game. The game where Dave Rader did the chicken dance after the Mizzou kicker missed a field goal at the end of the game.
I recall that DeGar got hurt on the 1st or 2nd offensive play on a hit very nearly out of bounds & screwed up his knee. Wasn't the score something like 7-6 TU?

Can't believe I had a brain lock on not thinking of Staurovsky. Especially since he is a frat brother of mine, and I just talked with him at a Bishop Kelley game in the fall. His son is a good kicker for the Comets.

Stu Crum has a detached retina and can't play in what would have been his senior year in 1981. The only alternative was the towel boy, and he did well. I think Crum came back for one game that year, a loss at Arkansas, and redshirted. Then Jason redshirted in 1982. Stu was drafted by the Jets, and played for the Oklahoma Outlaws of the USFL. Jason played five years in the NFL.

I remember it was a weird play in which DeGar got hurt. I think it was some sort of fake punt on fourth down, with Troy as the up back. He gets the first down, goes to the sideline and never gets hit, but cut wrong on knee right at the sideline. He later wrote a book about his experience of playing at TU.

I recall that DeGar got hurt on the 1st or 2nd offensive play on a hit very nearly out of bounds & screwed up his knee. Wasn't the score something like 7-6 TU?
DeGar tore his ACL on that play. That old turf at Faurot Field was atrocious and you had teams tell Mizzou they wouldn't play there again no matter how much money was guaranteed because the risk of injury was too great.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT