ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy game thread

Underrated player of the game?

Ugboh. Comes in to relieve Igbanu. Scores 8. Plays serviceable defense at the rim, and uses his fouls to his advantage. Needs to rebound better, but I don't think we can ask much more from him than finishing as a net positive in the +/-. Love how he just takes it up and dunks it. We we had more guys doing that.

Listened to the free radio broadcast from Vandy. Their announcers were fair. Color commentator was complimentary of TU switching defenses, causing problems and how different players made some big plays (mentioned Rachel, Jackson, Joiner and Korita). He said give Tulsa credit to come into SEC and win a road game. Thinks Vandy will get better as they are young but need to hit free throws

Reactions: quincy101
I like the obvious and noticeable improvement from game 1 to now despite some of the mistakes.
If we had played them like we have played the last couple of games, we would have beat UTA. Vandy averaged 85+ pts per game. Nobody has even held them in the 60"s much less the 50's.

Last edited:
I like the obvious and noticeable improvement from game 1 to now despite some of the mistakes.
Good point, I see improvement from game one and that is what you want at this point in the season. Good road win

Reactions: TUBixby
Listened to the free radio broadcast from Vandy. Their announcers were fair. Color commentator was complimentary of TU switching defenses, causing problems and how different players made some big plays (mentioned Rachel, Jackson, Joiner and Korita). He said give Tulsa credit to come into SEC and win a road game. Thinks Vandy will get better as they are young but need to hit free throws

I’m sure their radio guys were better than their tv guys.

We have a couple of additional good nonconference road opportunities at Arkansas and K State. I feel better about our chances of snagging at least one of those after seeing our defense and grit tonight.

We have a couple of additional good nonconference road opportunities at Arkansas and K State. I feel better about our chances of snagging at least one of those after seeing our defense and grit tonight.
Kstate is showing their weakness and we seem to have had their number lately. If we can gel over the next 7 games and equal our 6-1 record from the first half of nonconference I'd be ecstatic. It's a tougher 2nd half, but .we are a tougher team after the first 7 games

Last edited:

I listened to the TU broadcast in the car for the 2nd half. Big Al was doing play-by-play since Bruce was in NC. Al was so busy shouting and hollering that Rollo had to fill us in on what was actually going on.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Give Big Al a break. He was obviously thrilled to be doing the play by play. Of course he did a crappy job, but he's kind of a sports legend around here & he has always worn his TU favoritism on his sleve. Plus he recently lost his Daddy, a world famous trainer of T-Breds.

Give Big Al a break. He was obviously thrilled to be doing the play by play. Of course he did a crappy job, but he's kind of a sports legend around here & he has always worn his TU favoritism on his sleve. Plus he recently lost his Daddy, a world famous trainer of T-Breds.
We can't give al a hard time jovially?

Just watched the last 8 minutes. Brandon Rachal has started his TU career in a great way, Martins Ibanu needs to “wake up” (he grabs an offensive rebound and immediately bounces the ball on the floor for a turnover) and they need to work on their press break. Always lots to improve ...this team has a chance for post season .

Personally I never cared for Al who I always called Al “the jerk” Jerkins. He never seemed to be happy doing his job. Jerry Webber was the man when it came to sportscasters. I even liked Grumpy old Mack Kreiger better than Al.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
If everything pans out the Arkansas game will be huge! Could be 9-1 Tulsa vs 9-0 possibly ranked Arky!
GO TU!!

If everything pans out the Arkansas game will be huge! Could be 9-1 Tulsa vs 9-0 possibly ranked Arky!
GO TU!!
The only absolute is likely UAPB. Gotta win against Arky St. & Boise first, but yeah 9-1 vs 9-0 Arkansas would be great.

They've gotta get by WKU who beat them last year, before we meet. Hopefully that'll be a grudge match and they'll beat them this year.

Just watched the last 8 minutes. Brandon Rachal has started his TU career in a great way, Martins Ibanu needs to “wake up” (he grabs an offensive rebound and immediately bounces the ball on the floor for a turnover) and they need to work on their press break. Always lots to improve ...this team has a chance for post season .
He's always put that ball on the floor way too much.

Underrated player of the game?

Ugboh. Comes in to relieve Igbanu. Scores 8. Plays serviceable defense at the rim, and uses his fouls to his advantage. Needs to rebound better, but I don't think we can ask much more from him than finishing as a net positive in the +/-. Love how he just takes it up and dunks it. Wish we had more guys doing that.
Good comment....He came in when we were down six in the first half, and
Momentum seemed to be going against us....He made six quick points to
turn things back around....I thought that was one of the turning points in
the game......

He seems more aware of the overall game around him in each game
we play...He sets good picks, slides to the basket well, and is lethal if
he is within six feet when he catches it.....He keeps his cool when
pressed, and passes back out well....

Right now, rebounding is his achilles, and I hope they are doing
rebounding drills with him each day.....As you say, his development is
really important....Igbanu is having his problems in the middle, both on
the offensive and defensive ends..

P.S.
I'm not sure Igbanu is playing any better or any worse....The problem
simply put, is that he goes thru his routine each time he catches the
ball, and it is rare when he puts it up immediately, or passes it back
out on a timely basis if there is nothing there....Or, if he ever passes
it back out....period! He has done that his entire career....The huge
difference is that the opponents know what is happening, and are
defending accordingly....He has done little to adapt....

Last edited:
Good comment....He came in when we were down six in the first half, and
Momentum seemed to be going against us....He made six quick points to
turn things back around....I thought that was one of the turning points in
the game......

He seems more aware of the overall game around him in each we play...
He sets good picks, slides to the basket well, and is lethal if he is within
six feet when he catches it.....He keeps his cool when pressed, and
passes back out well....

Right now, rebounding is his achilles, and I hope they are doing
rebounding drills with him each day.....As you say, his development is
really important....Igbanu is having his problems in the middle, both on
the offensive and defensive ends.....
Sometimes lack of rebounding stats just means that you're boxing out for other guys. Seems like Joiner had more than his normal share of boards last game. I think the rebound battle between the teams finished fairly evenly. As long as we get the defensive board, I don't care who gets it. As long as we're not giving up a ton of offensive boards I'm fine.

On another note, I just found a really neat analytics stat sheet via the tulsastats.com site.
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events...iYmdhbWUucHJpbnQucGxheWVyYW5hbHl0aWNzLnhzbA==

Has a bunch of advanced metrics that you don't normally see on a box score. Seems like it's only available post-game.

Sometimes lack of rebounding stats just means that you're boxing out for other guys. Seems like Joiner had more than his normal share of boards last game. I think the rebound battle between the teams finished fairly evenly. As long as we get the defensive board, I don't care who gets it. As long as we're not giving up a ton of offensive boards I'm fine.

On another note, I just found a really neat analytics stat sheet via the tulsastats.com site.
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events...iYmdhbWUucHJpbnQucGxheWVyYW5hbHl0aWNzLnhzbA==

Has a bunch of advanced metrics that you don't normally see on a box score. Seems like it's only available post-game.
Did you find a way to look at other games on that page? The only one they seemed to have was South Carolina St, and they didn't have 'final stats' on it. I couldn't find any other basketball games in the archives.

Did you find a way to look at other games on that page? The only one they seemed to have was South Carolina St, and they didn't have 'final stats' on it. I couldn't find any other basketball games in the archives.
Yeah, not seeing any others. They're just the typical box sheets. I wish we could see this kind of analytics after every game. I wonder if it's something that our media relations office hasn't signed up for?

They do have all the advanced stats every game. I usually have that site up while I’m watching the game.

I love Ugboh's dunks in close. Igbanu just can't do that. But he really needs rebounding 101 from the coaches. A couple of times shots went up from the corner and he was on the off side and moved toward the shooter and the ball came off exactly where he left. You know where the ball is coming off with each shot if you have played outdoor basketball with sloping hills where you had to run after the ball if you misjudged it. Some of the kids today have trouble knowing where the shot is coming off and that getting there for the rebound is the most important part of rebounding.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
They do have all the advanced stats every game. I usually have that site up while I’m watching the game.
You've seen every advanced stat on that site from the beginning of the season? If so, that sucks that they wipe it after the game is over every couple of six or seven days.

Sometimes lack of rebounding stats just means that you're boxing out for other guys. Seems like Joiner had more than his normal share of boards last game. I think the rebound battle between the teams finished fairly evenly. As long as we get the defensive board, I don't care who gets it. As long as we're not giving up a ton of offensive boards I'm fine

In watching a couple of replays, I have to disagree with your seeming
dismissal of Igbanu's rebounding efforts on the defensive end....Several
times, not once or twice, he was in the middle of our zone...Here comes
the missed shot rebound, and the offensive players got the rebound in
front of him, to the side of him, and behind him....He didn't jump, he
didn't block out, and he didn't get the board......

I have always been a big Igbanu fan....I have always felt he should have
played the 4 instead of the 5, but when Magnay left, his fate was kind of
sealed......While he has not been able to show it, he does have a smooth
stroke out side the stripe....

I have a funny feeling that Earley may be our best interior rebounder..
When will his total game allow him enough minutes to show it?? Until
then, it will be the 5 position by committee....If Ugboh becomes a
competent rebounder, then all bets are off....He will be the Man!

Last edited:
In watching a couple of replays, I have to disagree with your seeming
dismissal of Igbanu's rebounding efforts on the defensive end....Several
times, not once or twice, he was in the middle of our zone...Here comes
the missed shot rebound, and the offensive players got the rebound in
front of him, to the side of him, and behind him....He didn't jump, he
didn't block out, and he didn't get the board......

I have always been a big Igbanu fan....I have always felt he should have
played the 4 instead of the 5, but when Magnay left, his fate was kind of
sealed......While he has not been able to show it, he does have a smooth
stroke out side the stripe....

I have a funny feeling that Earley may be our best interior rebounder..
When will his total game allow him enough minutes to show it?? Until
then, it will be the 5 position by committee....If Ugboh becomes a
competent rebounder, then all bets are off....He will be the Man!
I was talking about Ugboh not Igbanu. To be fair, neither of them rebounded very well, but our guards did grab more than their share.

In practice Earley is one of the best rebounders. He shows some Freshman tendencies like Hill but I think he will be a good one. But if Ugboh can come on strong quickly, Manny will get a lot of playing time for the next two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT