ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

I did take calculus but it does not help.
No and the scenarios are infinite but also limited and let's hope FIFA does not screw up the World Cup draw like UEFA screwed up the UCL Knockout round draw. They neglected to put a ball in for a possibility and put it in for an impossibility for one of the teams and they drew the matchups and when they realized the mistake, they redrew which went from Manchester United initially playing a not so difficult opponent into having to play Atletico Madrid.

Good article.

So let's discuss this. It was painfully apparent to me that Jordan Morris is not able to play effectively at this level. He's lost a step or two due to his knee injuries and he's not able to play that high press Berhalter wants from his front 3. Just my 2 cents. Replace him with Sargent who has been playing well, has been playing outside and not his customary 9 spot and he's become a true 120 yd player. And he's a big durable body unlike Pulisic and Weah (not advocating that he should start over either of them). Sargent gives Berhalter options and flexibility as to where he can play.

The guys is also smoking crack if he doesn't think Miles Robinson is a lock. He and Zimmerman have been really solid as a central back pairing. IMO, Chris Richards is a good option if healthy. Also, I like Ferreira and de la Torre's energy coming off the bench to spell Pulisic and Aaronson.

When was the last time the US had 45 guys mentioned as part of a potential pool. There's some serious depth for US soccer right now.

Oooooh! It could be way worse. Our 1st game will be vs the European play-off winner to be decided between Ukraine/Scotland/or Wales. That's very good. We also play England-ouch! And finally, Iran. We really owe these suckers for knocking us out of a WC years ago. Man, I really like our chances in this group.

Reactions: loca2874
Live Pot Results:

Group A:
1: Qatar
2: Ecuador
3: Senegal
4: Netherlands

Group B:
1: England
2: Iran
3: USA
4: UKR/WAL/SCO

Group C:
1: Argentina
2: Saudi Arabia
3: Mexico
4: Poland

Group D:
1: France
2: ICP1
3: Denmark
4: Tunisia

Group E:
1: Spain
2: ICP2 (CRC/NZL)
3: Germany
4: Japan

Group F:
1: Belgium
2: Canada
3: Morocoo
4: Croatia

Group G:
1: Brazil
2: Serbia
3: Switzerland
4: Cameroon

Group H:
1: Portugal
2: Ghana
3: Uruguay
4: Korea

And, it gets better. As 2nd in Group B, we would play the winner of Group A in the knockout round. As Bla notes in the chart above, this is a toss-up with Senegal (has a top 5 goalie in Edouard Mendy & a teammate Of C. Pulisic); the Dutch who are always tough; or Ecuador (don't they have Luis "the Vampire") Suarez? None of these 3 are a pushover by any means....but I still like our chances to advance further.

And, it gets better. As 2nd in Group B, we would play the winner of Group A in the knockout round. As Bla notes above, this is a toss-up with Senegal (has a top 5 goalie in Edouard Mendy & a teammate Of C. Pulisic); the Dutch who are always tough; or Ecuador (don't they have Luis "the Vampire") Suarez? None of these 3 are a pushover by any means....but I still like our chances to advance.
Lets make it out of the group first! Lol. I like the draw. I am excited. The only issue I have is that the game will be on the day after the Myrtle Beach Invitational and I will be driving home that day back to Virginia. I am probably going to have to record the games that day and then turn off my radio, social media, phone, Brain, and my will to live so that I can watch it like it was live

Reactions: HuffyCane
And, it gets better. As 2nd in Group B, we would play the winner of Group A in the knockout round. As Bla notes in the chart above, this is a toss-up with Senegal (has a top 5 goalie in Edouard Mendy & a teammate Of C. Pulisic); the Dutch who are always tough; or Ecuador (don't they have Luis "the Vampire") Suarez? None of these 3 are a pushover by any means....but I still like our chances to advance further.
I think we can get out of the group...I think we can win the group TBH. The one thing England has that we do not is a certified scoring machine in Harry Kane. Sterling and Foden are little bitches that spend too much time thinking about how to draw a foul rather than ways to actually score. England's backline is hit or miss, especially with Harry Maguire who is a ****ing statue. England's weakness is their central defenders back to the GKs. Now they do have dynamic right fullback attack in TAA, and I love Jordan Henderson as a player. The US finally has the horses to play with England and go on the attack rather than playing not to lose too badly (see Klinsmann). We should be favored in the other two games but can't have any El Salvador type performances.

Netherlands and Senegal should come out of group A but Qatar has shown some remarkable resilience in the many tournaments they've been invited to play the last couple of years as host. They've got some good play in them. The Netherlands will be hit or miss. They missed the last WC like the US. They've got an aging core of players too although they do have the best CB in the world in van Dijk right now. Senegal has a really good team. You mention Mendy...he's good but the team goes as far as Sadio Mane brings them. In addition to Mane they have Kouyate, Koulibaly, and Diallo. They've got some thumpers in the back.

Other notes:
While no true GoD exists, the toughest groups for me are F and H. Belgium and Croatia were both in the last 4 4 years ago, Morocco is always a solid side and Canada is vastly underrated and is more of a pot 2 quality team than a pot 4...at least through the qualifying cycle. H- gawd. Portugal and Uruguay (this is who the ear biter plays for-Luis Suarez) are traditional powers. Korea is always solid, and then you throw in Ghana who will make most of the players in this group wish they played American football or ice hockey. They are so physical and athletic.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Lets make it out of the group first! Lol. I like the draw. I am excited. The only issue I have is that the game will be on the day after the Myrtle Beach Invitational and I will be driving home that day back to Virginia. I am probably going to have to record the games that day and then turn off my radio, social media, phone, Brain, and my will to live so that I can watch it like it was live
Most of the games will air at 5am or 7am, so you’ll be able to get up early, watch, then drive.

CP is not in the squad today vs Brentwood as Herr Tuchel is giving him a blow after 3 matches in the last 10 days. He will most certainly line up for 4 League matches left, plus Ch Lg Q's and the semis of the FA Cup coming soon.

It will be like "old home week" for Pulisic when we play England with 2-Mason Mount & Reece James for sure, plus Conor Gallagher out on loan with C. Palace, and Ben Chilwell, injured now, and Billy Gilmore and Ethan Ampadou with Scotland and Wales, also out on loan from Chelsea.

No one ever mentions Ethan Horvath, who didn't get 1 minute from Beer?halter in the last 3, as a #2 behind Turner, while dropping Steffen to 3rd. Also, Beer?halter used Jordan Pefok a whole 15 minutes as our #9. Yes, his miss was so awful as to be laughable, but, aside from a goal from Ferreira in that blowout of Panama, our center forwards are still 0-fer for months now.

BTW, with about 20 minutes left in Brentwood vs Chelsea, Tuchel might regret not naming CP to the bench as Chelsea is getting hammered, 3-1. 20 or 30 minutes from CP might have helped a comeback.

Most of the games will air at 5am or 7am, so you’ll be able to get up early, watch, then drive.
I actually think the games with teams on this hemisphere will be played in the later times. Since there is 4 games a day and 4 times for broadcasting. We are B3 and B4 so that leads me to believe that we will have the 2 pm game on the first day or 3 pm for me.

Has Cameron Carter-Vickers had any looks with the USMNT? I recall him in MLS. He's with Celtic now in Scotland and scored the game winner in their derby with Rangers. According to the guys calling the game, he's been a stalwart defensively for Celtic since coming over. James Sands (Rangers) didn't play.

Has Cameron Carter-Vickers had any looks with the USMNT? I recall him in MLS. He's with Celtic now in Scotland and scored the game winner in their derby with Rangers. According to the guys calling the game, he's been a stalwart defensively for Celtic since coming over. James Sands (Rangers) didn't play.
He’s been in the pool since he was 16 and we’ve been waiting for him since he signed with Tottenham, Christ, almost 10 years ago. He’s the king of underperforming in the Championship. 5 maybe 6 clubs. But he’s cheap and versatile. Klinsmann capped him. He’s the Julian Green of the back line. We have taller and faster and better though I admit not having watched him play in the last 4 or 5 years. If you want a dark horse to watch on our back line Erik Palmer Brown is a more interesting subject with a similar story. He actually made the roster for the last three games.

Tottenham are bleeding money and Leicester and a few others are desperate to unload salary. Vickers will go to one of them in the summer for trade and cash, but it’s more about money and buying a player you know has loan value than it is Vickers being a world class defender. He could play his way into the conversation but that’s a long shot. It would take some injuries, John Brooks not making a come back and Zimmerman being comfortable with him. But I’m not sure that’s going to happen with an odd foot pairing and Vickers being maybe 6’0. Still, if Gooch had not gotten hurt in a meaningless game, the world would never have known the name Jay DeMerit, another 6’0” schlepper in the Championship who scored a memorable and improbable goal and turned it into a World Cup spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
I actually think the games with teams on this hemisphere will be played in the later times. Since there is 4 games a day and 4 times for broadcasting. We are B3 and B4 so that leads me to believe that we will have the 2 pm game on the first day or 3 pm for me.
If you believe twitter, all three games will be played at 2pm EST, including the Black Friday game with England. Who knew that Black Friday shopping was a thing in England, even though they dont celebrate Thanksgiving. At least it won't conflict with our game at Houston which is scheduled right now for Saturday.

When people look back on this cycle, they may write it off as not a real tournament. They are going to play 3 games in ten days. Due to the group format, some teams may be eliminated after 3 or 4 days, if they lose twice. Qatar and Iran play on Monday and could be out by Friday of the first week. Its going to be less of a group stage as it will be an additional qualification round played like a youth weekend soccer cup. 2026 will be worse when the number of team qualifying becomes ridiculous.

LOL at the rest of the world complaining that the Americans are buying up all the tickets.

Last edited:
If you believe twitter, all three games will be played at 2pm EST, including the Black Friday game with England. Who knew that Black Friday shopping was a thing in England, even though they dont celebrate Thanksgiving. At least it won't conflict with our game at Houston which is scheduled right now for Saturday.

When people look back on this cycle, they may write it off as not a real tournament. They are going to play 3 games in ten days. Due to the group format, some teams may be eliminated after 3 or 4 days, if they lose twice. Qatar and Iran play on Monday and could be out by Friday of the first week. Its going to be less of a group stage as it will be an additional qualification round played like a youth weekend soccer cup. 2026 will be worse when the number of team qualifying becomes ridiculous.

LOL at the rest of the world complaining that the Americans are buying up all the tickets.
I was not and still am not a fan of their expansion.

I was not and still am not a fan of their expansion.
More teams = more $ and not just from the 48 or so who qualify for the finals. Chances are every region expands their final round of qualification as well meaning more $ for them with more eyeballs on those games. Maybe it forces CONCACAF nations to build or maintain actual stadiums (and gives them the $ to do this). I think one of the games for Canada prior to the Octagonal was set, they basically played on a sand based pitch with sparse actual grass (St. Kitts maybe?). We'll see.

Speaking of ‘26, when North America hosts will all three countries automatically qualify? If so how many extra spaces will the Central American and Caribbean countries be fighting for?

Speaking of ‘26, when North America hosts will all three countries automatically qualify? If so how many extra spaces will the Central American and Caribbean countries be fighting for?
They haven't figured out how all of that is going to work.

More teams = more $ and not just from the 48 or so who qualify for the finals. Chances are every region expands their final round of qualification as well meaning more $ for them with more eyeballs on those games. Maybe it forces CONCACAF nations to build or maintain actual stadiums (and gives them the $ to do this). I think one of the games for Canada prior to the Octagonal was set, they basically played on a sand based pitch with sparse actual grass (St. Kitts maybe?). We'll see.
There's actually been serious discussion by the decision makers to play all the first round games in the USA.

There's actually been serious discussion by the decision makers to play all the first round games in the USA.
No games should be played in Mexico. No int'l games should be played in Mexico period. The behavior of Mexican fans is atrocious. (I know there are other countries whose fans are just as bad but I'm not sure I've heard of incidents where 11 people have died during a brawl in a domestic game...since I've been following soccer closely)

No games should be played in Mexico. No int'l games should be played in Mexico period. The behavior of Mexican fans is atrocious. (I know there are other countries whose fans are just as bad but I'm not sure I've heard of incidents where 11 people have died during a brawl in a domestic game...since I've been following soccer closely)
They lost me after I got hit with the second cup of piss.

How long have you been following it closely?

2012 there was a riot in Egypt during an Egyptian Premier match that killed 79. 2008 13 people were killed in the Congo during a match between local clubs. In 2001, 43 people died at a match in South Africa, 1998, 96 people died in the Hillsborough Disaster in Sheffield England. 2022, 8 people died in Cameroon when a crowd rushed the gates to avoid the COVID 19 screening.

How long have you been following it closely?

2012 there was a riot in Egypt during an Egyptian Premier match that killed 79. 2008 13 people were killed in the Congo during a match between local clubs. In 2001, 43 people died at a match in South Africa, 1998, 96 people died in the Hillsborough Disaster in Sheffield England. 2022, 8 people died in Cameroon when a crowd rushed the gates to avoid the COVID 19 screening.
So, prior to NBC getting EPL matches, I pretty much only watched soccer when it was US MNT and the World Cup. Once my son started playing, I started following more but not that closely. Probably the last 5-6 yrs I'll watch any game that is on TV and follow pretty closely

Jordan Pefok: 19 league goals in 29 matches, 24 in 41 all competitions. How are our other alleged scoring threats doing, Beer?halter??

Oh my Goodness!! C. Pulisic hasn't got off Herr Tuchel's bench in Chelsea's last 3 (incl. 2 losses). Today vs. West Ham, he gets off the bench about the 75th minute in a 0-0 tie. Georghino, who missed a PK that cost Italy the WC Finals, misses another big PK for Chelsea in the 85th.

One minute later, CP reminded Tuchel why he screwed up by keeping him on the bench, by scoring into the bottom right corner. Chelsea wins (1-0) in a tighter race for Ch Lg position & pretty much solidifies 3rd place in the EPL and Champions League for next season.

Got a feeling CP will start vs Liverpool in the FA Cup final which I think is in early May. BTW, a new owner of Chelsea may be announced later this week & might include some American (near) Oligarchs, rather then their former Russian oligarch owner who was sanctioned by the Brit Gov't and forced to sell the team.

Last edited:
With a double yesterday, Jordan Pefok up to 26 goals in 42 all competitions and 21 in 30 Swiss Super League matches to take over the League scoring lead. Beer?halter might call him up for some friendlies before November, but our coach has only played him about 30 minutes in the last year & a half, so.............what will it take, Beer?halter??

Really awful news for USMNT as Miles Robinson tore his Achille's tendon in Atlanta United's match on Saturday. This will open the door for Brooks to return. He's been in better form as of late and has helped Wolfsburg avoid relegation in the Bundesliga. Augusburg has also avoided relegation with a good string of games in April so Pepi will presumably have a full offseason with them training and then getting into form in the Fall leading into the WC.

Reyna still out for Dortmund. He's going to be labeled as fragile like his dad was. Pulisic played well for Chelsea on Saturday despite the tie. Tuchel starts some odd combos and it's amazing we all see the lineups that work and don't work for that club and he keeps running Werner and Lukaku out there together.

No Pefok no Brooks. Interesting.

Carter-Vickers is back in.

Hajii Wright gets the call up. He was the star of the U18 success that included CP and McKinnie. They remain close. You wonder what role that relationship had with this call up.

You were willing to take the first one on the chin and keep going?
Azteca qualifiers you walk into knowing what’s coming.

You are surrounded by a chain link fence and barbed wire. Riot police stand ready outside the fence. If you get close to them against the fence, you can usually avoid most of the random piss and diarrhea bombs, coins, batteries, belt buckles, etc.

The dude that hit me with the second cup of piss, just before half time, rushed the guards, leaned over and through them, and got me good right across the face with about 24 ounces. It was warm and fresh.

The riot police beat the crap out of him but it wasn’t enough.

You go into the stadium at about 70 mph with the same cops you see in Sicario following you in jeeps with guys hanging on to .50 cal machine guns for dear life. There’s counter snipers visible all over the stadium rafters walking in. A bomb disposal unit trails you. A drone. It’s a trip and a trip everyone should do once.

Azteca qualifiers you walk into knowing what’s coming.

You are surrounded by a chain link fence and barbed wire. Riot police stand ready outside the fence. If you get close to them against the fence, you can usually avoid most of the random piss and diarrhea bombs, coins, batteries, belt buckles, etc.

The dude that hit me with the second cup of piss, just before half time, rushed the guards, leaned over and through them, and got me good right across the face with about 24 ounces. It was warm and fresh.

The riot police beat the crap out of him but it wasn’t enough.

You go into the stadium at about 70 mph with the same cops you see in Sicario following you in jeeps with guys hanging on to .50 cal machine guns for dear life. There’s counter snipers visible all over the stadium rafters walking in. A bomb disposal unit trails you. A drone. It’s a trip and a trip everyone should do once.
Holy :crap:… sound like a trip that you make once hoping that you can escape in enough pieces to make a second trip if your a hard core sadists.

A bit of USMNT news: Tim Weah scores both Lille goals but the team can only tie Rennes, 2-2 to complete the Frog Ligue un season. Lille ends up in the middle of the pack with no Europe futbol to look forward to. But Weah will get a juice boost & and should solidify his spot with the team for next season.

CP gets an assist & a goal in Chelsea's last 2 but didn't get off the bench in today's EPL finale with Chelsea. Even with a consortium led by a home grown oligarche (Todd Boehly & Co. soon to buy the team), buzz in the Brit press has CP getting sold this summer. Maybe. He went 8 goals & 5 assists in 13 starts with 25 other appearances while missing a ton of games early on thru injury. A rumor has him to Juventus to join Wes McKinnie.

Finally, Huffy came very, very close in his prediction that Jesse Marsch & Leeds will be relegated. Leeds wins their last EPL game today while a team above them loses at the last minute of the last match played today. It won't get much closer than that and Marsch, the team & fans are eggstatic over staying up for next season. Leeds has been after Brenden Aaronson all season and this should be a done deal soon now that relegation is behind them.

Humble brag: I predicted they would stay up but it would come down to the last game. Which it did, with the matter in doubt until the winning goal was awarded as time expired.

For anyone who has interest in C. Pulisic's career in club futbol, something strange is going on. First of all, CP & Hakim Ziyech are both prominent in transfer rumors in the Brit press. Now I see where CP himself is very interested in a move & implies so on social media. Also, his Daddy has been public criticizing Tuchel for a lack of playing time for sonny boy.

I mentioned Juventus above but they are also looking at Jorghino, another Chelsea player. No other team interest in CP has been mentioned yet. Sure, CP has been inconsistent, and injured a lot. Lately, he's missed a couple of great chances in huge games.

But, my preference would be to stay at Chelsea, score some goals when Tuchel gives him a chance, and fight to force the coach to start him. I hope CP doesn't have "daddy" issues like some elite athletes. On the other hand, if Chelsea is dead set on selling him, screw them & go to the best available. Hopefully, another EPL team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT