ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn to Big East

As long as we don’t crap the bed and bring in a sunbelt, mac, or cusa team, we’ll be fine.

Perception is reality and if the AAC scoops up a old dominion, Marshall, or app state, it’s going to make us look like we belong back at the little kids table.

Throw Liberty into that list as well. They also sound small-time.

I have seen so many schools advocating to get in... kind of funny when all the other conferences just talked about how the AAC wasnt any better than cusa, mac, sunbelt, or even the mwc. Now they’re all trying to make their case to get in.

And for the record, liberty would be an awful choice for more than just sports related reasons.

Last edited:
11 teams is fine by me. Navy for football only and the Wheat Beaters for hoops.

Options mentioned on the board.

BYU, there schedule is full and it would cost them more than our media pay out to break the deals needed to join a conference. They are a virtual no go till 2024-2025.

Army is a good option but it will drop the value of the special date for the Army/Navy game which is worth as much to Navy as the new pay out will be to them.

Air Force, get CSU and you can get Air Force, both could put their Olympic sports in the WAC to maintain travel costs and they would be very competitive in all sports. That also means adding another though.

SDSU, is too far. Has seen a serious drop off in basketball and has like three good years in its entire football history.

VCU is the most like other AAC schools, brings another metro, strong following, tightens up geography.

Dayton, one of the most valuable non p5 basketball programs. Incredible support. Does share virtually same metro as Cincy. Small private, catholic so possible target for big east if they want divisions to shorten up the travel in non basketball sports.

St. Louis, not as valuable a program as Dayton. Up and down history. Great geography. Also catholic and a great stepping stone from Milwaukee and Chicago to Creighton.

Liberty. No one will take them and they are offering millions to get in. Perhaps something is rotten. Perhaps the presidents can't plug their nose. Whatever the reason they are a no.

Options mentioned on the board.

BYU, there schedule is full and it would cost them more than our media pay out to break the deals needed to join a conference. They are a virtual no go till 2024-2025.

Army is a good option but it will drop the value of the special date for the Army/Navy game which is worth as much to Navy as the new pay out will be to them.

Air Force, get CSU and you can get Air Force, both could put their Olympic sports in the WAC to maintain travel costs and they would be very competitive in all sports. That also means adding another though.

SDSU, is too far. Has seen a serious drop off in basketball and has like three good years in its entire football history.

VCU is the most like other AAC schools, brings another metro, strong following, tightens up geography.

Dayton, one of the most valuable non p5 basketball programs. Incredible support. Does share virtually same metro as Cincy. Small private, catholic so possible target for big east if they want divisions to shorten up the travel in non basketball sports.

St. Louis, not as valuable a program as Dayton. Up and down history. Great geography. Also catholic and a great stepping stone from Milwaukee and Chicago to Creighton.

Liberty. No one will take them and they are offering millions to get in. Perhaps something is rotten. Perhaps the presidents can't plug their nose. Whatever the reason they are a no.
That's why places like CBS, Texas Sports Nation, and several other media outlets keep mentioning BYU as a serious possibility...

They like mentioning impossibilities.
(I'm thinking Uconn wouldn't mind picking up a lot of their future scheduling.)

You have no idea whether the contracts BYU has, contain any clauses for extrication, and no idea whether most of the teams on their schedule wouldn't back off on the penalties, if given a year or two's notice.

You also have no idea whether we would work something out to keep the Army Navy game on the same day.

Last edited:
Nothing rotten with saying no to Liberty. They are the sort of school that gets Congress involved in the NCAA. Ticking time bomb.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The sound small time but they're on a trajectory with a big time move up D1 the same that UCF was 20 years ago. Why? Because of the number of students they can claim which also leads to the # of alumni they can claim. All of that is eyeballs on a TV set or stream. They bring what BYU brings minus the longer history. The quality of their programs and facilities is a boost (they've spent a ridiculous amount of money on facility upgrades in the last 5 years). Plus imagine going to a road game there, pregame at the Jack Daniels distillery before the game and then tailgate before the game?

The sound small time but they're on a trajectory with a big time move up D1 the same that UCF was 20 years ago. Why? Because of the number of students they can claim which also leads to the # of alumni they can claim. All of that is eyeballs on a TV set or stream. They bring what BYU brings minus the longer history. The quality of their programs and facilities is a boost (they've spent a ridiculous amount of money on facility upgrades in the last 5 years). Plus imagine going to a road game there, pregame at the Jack Daniels distillery before the game and then tailgate before the game?
No.

What would be wrong with southern miss?

I wouldn't mind Southern Miss, but I think the biggest problem would be perception. They aren't highly thought of as a big program. Perception wise AAC needs to really go after the best program it can get (I don't know the likelihood of any of these schools, just names I know would be highly regarded):

* Any academy school
* BYU
* Dayton (but would require finding another football only school, maybe BYU?)
* UMass (I wouldn't want them, but this name is mentioned often in the articles I've read)
* Buffalo

That's why places like CBS, Texas Sports Nation, and several other media outlets keep mentioning BYU as a serious possibility...

They like mentioning impossibilities.
(I'm thinking Uconn wouldn't mind picking up a lot of their future scheduling.)

You have no idea whether the contracts BYU has, contain any clauses for extrication, and no idea whether most of the teams on their schedule wouldn't back off on the penalties, if given a year or two's notice.

You also have no idea whether we would work something out to keep the Army Navy game on the same day.

Actually we do know, since they sign contracts with public schools. Their contracts are pretty run of the mill. Their is a clause that allows them lesser penalties with their p5 opponents if they get into an AQ conference. Otherwise there are pretty severe penalties in them for cancelling. Wonder why an independent trying to fill out 12 games a year would do that?

Also go check in with the mwc and buy boards where pushing SJSU out and bringing BYU back in is more popular than adding Army to the AAC is on our conference board.

BYU doesn't want to come and can't break its game contracts for AAC money. Sorry if that ruins your fantasy.

The latest flavor of the week is Air Force and VCU or stay put at eleven. Some talk of a Colorado St and Air Force add paired with another Olympic only and full member, with Colorado St and AFA putting Olympic sports in the WAC offering them stability in membership.

I wouldn't mind Southern Miss, but I think the biggest problem would be perception. They aren't highly thought of as a big program. Perception wise AAC needs to really go after the best program it can get (I don't know the likelihood of any of these schools, just names I know would be highly regarded):

* Any academy school
* BYU
* UMass (I wouldn't want them, but this name is mentioned often in the articles I've read)
* Buffalo
add VCU alongside Dayton

* Any academy school
* BYU
* Buffalo

Southern Miss is broke, hasn't done much in football lately, is awful in everything else but baseball, and is way behind in facilities.

It also doesn't fit the AAC profile of urban schools, although it is a third fiddle in its home state, which is a common theme for many AAC schools.

CUSA team most likely to get the call is UAB, who is a great geographic location, large urban city, new football and new basketball facilities coming in, and a past history with most of the schools.

Reactions: t-townpod
Actually we do know, since they sign contracts with public schools. Their contracts are pretty run of the mill. Their is a clause that allows them lesser penalties with their p5 opponents if they get into an AQ conference. Otherwise there are pretty severe penalties in them for cancelling. Wonder why an independent trying to fill out 12 games a year would do that?

Also go check in with the mwc and buy boards where pushing SJSU out and bringing BYU back in is more popular than adding Army to the AAC is on our conference board.

BYU doesn't want to come and can't break its game contracts for AAC money. Sorry if that ruins your fantasy.

The latest flavor of the week is Air Force and VCU or stay put at eleven. Some talk of a Colorado St and Air Force add paired with another Olympic only and full member, with Colorado St and AFA putting Olympic sports in the WAC offering them stability in membership.
It is not my fantasy, it is only a possibility that many media outlets are saying might happen, when they have information you don't. That's why nobody comments positively or negatively on your posts on the conference board about said subject. Interesting how you answer the question selectively. You aren't as informed as you think you are, don't pretend to have all the answers. The only reason we actually know they might not join for is media money, unless increased by ESPN beyond what the American conference's share is. Considering they make somewhere between 6 and 10m per year, it would likely have to get an increase by ESPN.

The only thing we are truly in agreement on is UAB.

Last edited:
They outline most of the options fairly well here except for the basketball only schools and no mention of a Colorado St. combo with Air Force. Otherwise it is fairly complete. The only thing they state which is partially an incorrect statement, is about Air Force's travel expenses. They seem to be overestimating that as a factor with the divisional setup they would have and the travel arrangements they have as an academy.

Last edited:
Buffalo would give Cincinnati a team close(r) to it than what UCONN was.

UMASS- growing up in MA, UMass was an after thought when it came to athletics until Calipari came along and cheated. They built a new arena. they have since added a top 10 hockey program. And Amherst, MA isn't exactly a Boston market. It's actually a lot closer to Hartford than it is to Boston. Last I checked, they still played their home games at Gillette in Foxboro which is a 2 hr drive from Amherst. UMass has a lot of alumni, but football never moved the needle. Best thing about adding UMass would be if they brought their band to all of their games. Their marching band is THE BEST in the country when it comes to quality and not doing dog and pony shows.

Obviously the #1 choice would be BYU. I don't think it would happen UNLESS ESPN talked to them and revamped the deal to the AAC to about $10M per up from the $8M per. I think that moves BYU's needle and may move the AACs. It would offset some of that travel. But I would want BYU in all sports, not just football.

Air Force as an all sports member and honestly the travel is not that much different for Air Force between going to ECU or San Diego State. (Boise State makes no sense).

UAB is OK.

Air Force as an all sports member and honestly the travel is not that much different for Air Force between going to ECU or San Diego State.

I'd love Air Force, but they're not coming unless we also added CSU, in my opinion.

Not sure we can add both or why we would add both.

New report is UCONN is trying to negotiate the exit fee to a lower one. The $10M exit fee is the one associated with giving a full 27 months notice. I say the AAC should gut them for everything. Don't negotiate with a whiny cry baby.

The AF-CSU rivalvry was not happening every year during the WAC Quad for the 16 members. That was cited by CSU as the main reason for the Mountain West breakup of the old WAC. So, AF is likely not available by itself.

Not sure we can add both or why we would add both.

New report is UCONN is trying to negotiate the exit fee to a lower one. The $10M exit fee is the one associated with giving a full 27 months notice. I say the AAC should gut them for everything. Don't negotiate with a whiny cry baby.

I'm leaving....now please lower the exit fee.......... Maybe we should raise the exit fee for a shorter notice.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
Drop uconn football, bring buffalo in for all sports. bring vcu and dayton in as basketball only. Makes conference as a whole stronger in both sports

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I’m guessing the A10 would tell Dayton and VCU to kick rocks with their other Olympic sports if they pulled basketball.

Not sure what you guys see in Buffalo. Historically poor football and basketball programs. They’ve had a recent turnaround in basketball but past performance would say it was due to Nate Oats...who is now at Bama. They have a losing record in football against every MAC school but two.

Reactions: Gold*
I'm leaving....now please lower the exit fee.......... Maybe we should raise the exit fee for a shorter notice.

They should have to pay the entry fees back to every school that had to buy into this. Plus the exit fee.

I bet there are liquidated damages to this.

As I said on the pay board take Air Force, CSU and Boise and destroy the MWC. Give Craig Thompson back what he gave us - I am assuming he is still commissioner?

Reactions: astonmartin708
The hybrid model hasn’t worked too well historically. The AAC really needs to find a new member for all sports.

The Big East is an example where the non-football schools couldn’t wait to get loose from the football members and vice versa.

CUSA tried it for a little while too, and eventually asked Olympic only members Charlotte and St. Louis to leave.

I wonder how Wichita likes their arrangement.

As I said on the pay board take Air Force, CSU and Boise and destroy the MWC. Give Craig Thompson back what he gave us - I am assuming he is still commissioner?
This was my exact thought as well. (Only as long as we could renegotiate the TV deal though)

It is not my fantasy, it is only a possibility that many media outlets are saying might happen, when they have information you don't. That's why nobody comments positively or negatively on your posts on the conference board about said subject. Interesting how you answer the question selectively. You aren't as informed as you think you are, don't pretend to have all the answers. The only reason we actually know they might not join for is media money, unless increased by ESPN beyond what the American conference's share is. Considering they make somewhere between 6 and 10m per year, it would likely have to get an increase by ESPN.

The only thing we are truly in agreement on is UAB.

BYU makes between 4 and 7 million a year depending on which channels show the games. They get paid more for ESPN games than ESPN2 games is a simple way of explaining it.

Media money isn't an issue. Money is an issue because their schedule is filled till 2025 almost and they have to buy out those games which is 5-7 depending on the year (they have a few with AAC teams and a couple open spaces).

You always want to bring up the conference board yet never say anything over there, talk about selective. I'll tell you the same thing I do every time you get your panties in a wad, post it on that board.

You also have no idea what I know. Something I do know, if you're trusting the sports writers like McMurphy for accurate info you're going to be disappointed. People mention all kinds of things in the media, especially sports media which is about generating interest.

I’m guessing the A10 would tell Dayton and VCU to kick rocks with their other Olympic sports if they pulled basketball.

Not sure what you guys see in Buffalo. Historically poor football and basketball programs. They’ve had a recent turnaround in basketball but past performance would say it was due to Nate Oats...who is now at Bama. They have a losing record in football against every MAC school but two.

There is no such thing as basketball only. Your basketball team and Olympic teams are tied together per NCAA rule unless the conference does not offer the sport. You may place football only in another conference.

Buffalo is not likely an option for all the reasons you stated.

We don't need to destroy the mwc we already are way ahead of them.

AFA turned down the big xii because it meant all sports and a level of competition the AD felt was unfair to the students/players/cadets. Similar to the reason Navy wanted into the west with the private schools. They struggle to compete in the MW, the AAC is better in every sport, as a football only add they work, all sports less so. CSU I am ambivalent on for all sports although I will say they have been generally bad in basketball and are another anchor. Both schools could be top tier in the WAC for Olympics or possibly bolster the WCC.

Boise is just too far for all sports. I also think they have peaked in football and while a good program who will get 8-10 wins a season won't reach the past heights they achieved. Honestly I don't view the MW as competition for the NY6 game, I think another Central Michigan type run is the threat. A school from a conference they ran through with a couple mediocre ooc wins while the AAC champ has two or three losses.

The hybrid model hasn’t worked too well historically. The AAC really needs to find a new member for all sports.

The Big East is an example where the non-football schools couldn’t wait to get loose from the football members and vice versa.

CUSA tried it for a little while too, and eventually asked Olympic only members Charlotte and St. Louis to leave.

I wonder how Wichita likes their arrangement.

They love it according to their boards.

I thought Charlotte and St. Louis voluntarily left?

The Big East mistake was equal numbers. Three or four Olympic sports only members isn't enough to hijack the system, especially with football only members rather than full members balancing them out.

It's a concern for sure though when adding, but almost none of the all sports teams look viable.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
There is no such thing as basketball only. Your basketball team and Olympic teams are tied together per NCAA rule.

I always chuckle when fans try to separate basketball from the other Olympic sports since hoops is played at the Olympics every 4 years.

Reactions: TU4ever2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT