ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn to Big East

TulsaFan2000

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 6, 2019
Multiple reports are saying that Uconn has been invited back to the Big East for all sports and that they are joining. Sounds like they will consider dropping their football program to FCS or going independent FBS

Yeah I’m glad to finally hear their fans shut up about how the conference is ruining their program, when it is obvious that it is the ineptitude of their athletic department. I mean they claim you can’t recruit in the American but Memphis just got the #1 recruiting class

Good. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, “UConnt”

Their fans are delusional and whiney.

And lol at their football going to the MAC. They will actually be able to compete there.

If this isn’t April 1 then I absolutely don’t understand the logic. They aren’t going to make enough from tourney credits to make up for the loss of football revenue under the new contract. If they were dropping football to save money I might see it.

This seems like a couple of people at the top of the food chain at the university of Connecticut making a decision with their gut rather than with data, logic, or any other relevant information.

Maybe it’ll work out for them, maybe it won’t.

I hope the conference stays at 11and adds another basketball only school.

This seems like a couple of people at the top of the food chain at the university of Connecticut making a decision with their gut rather than with data, logic, or any other relevant information.

Maybe it’ll work out for them, maybe it won’t.

I hope the conference stays at 11and adds another basketball only school.
I think losing the conference championship would actually help us. The school losing in the championship hurts that team more so than say a Power 5 team doing the same thing in their conference.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Now they'll lose that, and have late entrance discounts in the Big East? That will cost them. If they can't compete in the Big East in basketball and lose more money that will be funny. The sports program continuing to cost the school would be a laugh riot.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaFan2000
well TU needs the extra dough. I would declare UConn ineligible for AAC championship in 2019 and designate all contests as OOC. UConn's teams are going to have a lot of "fun" on the road this year.

UConn wasn’t able to work out a deal with the SNY network and the AAC. They were set to lose a number of games on that linear platform in the New York market. They didn’t view the ESPN+ platform as a suitable alternative. Thus they were the only school to vote against the AAC’s new TV deal.

The BE should help them with basketball attendance and exposure in the Northeast. Travel costs will also be reduced. Most UConn people could careless about football...and it shows. I do wonder if their departure allows ESPN to reduce their contractual obligation?

I don’t view this as a big loss other than a public perception hit. BYU has too many obstacles imo. I could see Army for football only and then a basketball school to fill out the schedule. My hope would be for a full member school. Adding another partial member isn’t a good look for a school striving to be considered a P6.

what basketball only school is available? I'm struggling to think of a successful program outside of the P5 or an independent other than BYU.

I'm not thinking any of the Valley schools have had enough continued success. Maybe St. Louis or an A10 school?

Army and or BYU for football only.
Air Force could be both.
If Army joins, I wonder if Air Force considers it will need to do so.

I think Army is the only realistic option for football only. I still don't see one for basketball.

It would hurt to be a UConn football player now. I bet it's not possible to recruit under these circumstances.

Dayton would be perfect if Cinncy wants them. And, I bet Dayton would take it if offered.

Xavier even better, but that is a huge crosstown rivalry and Cinncy probably would veto X.

I think VCU could be another good Basketball and Olympic Sports add. They seen large state research university who has had a lot of recent success in basketball and fit the region of the AAC. I’d be fine with either them or Dayton as a basketball and Olympic sports add if we added like army or BYU as a football only member

Would love to see the Uconn fans reaction if we agreed to play each other in basketball, post conference membership.

Last edited:
I think VCU could be another good Basketball and Olympic Sports add. They seen large state research university who has had a lot of recent success in basketball and fit the region of the AAC. I’d be fine with either them or Dayton as a basketball and Olympic sports add if we added like army or BYU as a football only member

Basketball is an Olympic sport. Why do some fans separate the two?

I would love to see all the academies in our conference. That would be super cool.

Frankly, F UCONN. They have sucked because their coaching sucks and their fans attitudes suck. their recruiting has blown because their coaching sucks. I will be rooting for them to get crushed every night in the big east. Their football program is toast and who cares honestly. They were trash anyway.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I really don't think Air Force would leave the MWC because of the rivalry with CSU. Army would be a good football only. Leaving AAC to pick off Dayton. I mistakenly thought Xavier was in the A10, but I know they moved to the Big East. VCU as basketball only would also be a good choice and geographically proximate to ECU as a travel partner.

The only viable football add is Army, IMO.

It’s not great to add partial members, but I would add Army for football, and VCU for basketball.

I assume geography eliminates San Diego St but of the full member options out there they are likely the strongest combination of football and basketball. I hate the idea of partial members. Very G6-ish.

Army is just ok. The only positive is they bring some eyeballs. However, the addition of another cut blocking option team on our schedule doesn’t thrill me.

As long as we don’t crap the bed and bring in a sunbelt, mac, or cusa team, we’ll be fine.

Perception is reality and if the AAC scoops up a old dominion, Marshall, or app state, it’s going to make us look like we belong back at the little kids table.

I would love to see all the academies in our conference. That would be super cool.

I have no idea about the logistics or odds of this, but I agree that this would be pretty awesome! Especially since it plays into our theme as the American Athletic Conference and the red/white/blue patriotic marketing scheme we’ve got going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT