ADVERTISEMENT

UALR game thread

These refs are dog :crap:. Haggerty can't draw a shooting foul all night and he has been hit by 3-5 illegal screens.

I don't like Konkol asking Haggerty to close out the game though. Really bad idea given the day he's had.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We are juat so careless with the ball, not knowing thr surrounds. You grab the rebound and hold it tight for it to clear out, not just wave it around for anyone to steal

really bad shooting. 6/21 nothing special but 4/23 atrocious and no yiu should win

Refs are on to Haggerty. That won’t work anymore.

Would rather just pull up and go for the win instead of lobbing it sky. But way too many unnecessary turnovers again and trying to draw fouls instead of shooting it normally. If Archie is healthy there's no excuse for him not being out there

Well darn.

When we had a fast break to take a six point lead and turned it over instead I had a bad feeling.

Way too many turnovers at key juncture and bad shooting. Still hopeful for the season.

Reactions: mmckell
Didn't expect to win them all but sure as heck didn't expect our guards, the strength of this team, down the stretch to commit at minimum 4 unforced turnovers, one 10 second call and 2 missed free throws, any of which could of put the game away...maybe, just maybe he was trying to put certain people in stressed situation to see how it was handled...hopefully he got his answer...where was Archie (could be our new "Where was Waldo")

Reactions: TulsaAM
Didn't expect to win them all but sure as heck didn't expect our guards, the strength of this team, down the stretch to commit at minimum 4 unforced turnovers, one 10 second call and 2 missed free throws, any of which could of put the game away...maybe, just maybe he was trying to put certain people in stressed situation to see how it was handled...hopefully he got his answer...where was Archie (could be our new "Where was Waldo")
When 6 of the 9 guys in your rotation are 5 freshmen and a guy who is for all practical purposes a RS freshman, there will be those moments... But I'd prefer to win 10 - 15 games evaluating and developing young guys who might have high ceilings and be the cornerstone for good teams rather than trying to eek out 16 - 18 wins with a bunch of transfer JRs and SRs who have middling ceilings and won't be the future of anything great.

I'm not sure Konkol is the answer but kudos to him for taking his lumps to invest in the future rather than trying to spackle over structure problems.

When 6 of the 9 guys in your rotation are 5 freshmen and a guy who is for all practical purposes a RS freshman, there will be those moments... But I'd prefer to win 10 - 15 games evaluating and developing young guys who might have high ceilings and be the cornerstone for good teams rather than trying to eek out 16 - 18 wins with a bunch of transfer JRs and SRs who have middling ceilings and won't be the future of anything great.

I'm not sure Konkol is the answer but kudos to him for taking his lumps to invest in the future rather than trying to spackle over structure problems.
Amen!

After listening to the most recent episode on the "The Golden Huricast", I wonder if we have the Tyshawn situation all wrong. The host explained that he believes Tyshawn didn't play mainly because he is a freshman. I want to win just as much as any TU Fan, but I also agree with a host that we must trust our starters and develop our freshmen. I would have liked Archie to have continued playing in the OT period, but I don't want to hand the rains over to a freshman because he's has been on a hot streak.

Amen!

After listening to the most recent episode on the "The Golden Huricast", I wonder if we have the Tyshawn situation all wrong. The host explained that he believes Tyshawn didn't play mainly because he is a freshman. I want to win just as much as any TU Fan, but I also agree with a host that we must trust our starters and develop our freshmen. I would have liked Archie to have continued playing in the OT period, but I don't want to hand the rains over to a freshman because he's has been on a hot streak.
You play your best players regardless of class. And if they are exceptionally hot during a game, you leave them in. Having played , when I had a hot streak in a game, it continued hot if I stayed in. (There were not that many) :p

You play your best players regardless of class. And if they are exceptionally hot during a game, you leave them in. Having played , when I had a hot streak in a game, it continued hot if I stayed in. (There were not that many) :p
This.
Always go with the hot hand.
Archie was dominant in that game and should’ve been in for 10-12 minutes of the 2nd at minimum.

It wasn't even hot hand. It was just how the game was being called and what matchups we had. Archie should have been on the floor for that reason alone.

That said, he is a liability on defense and I understand it through that lens. Per cbbanalytics, we allow 26 extra points per 100 possessions when Archie is on the floor vs off. Most on the team. That's something Konkol is going to care about.

Last edited:
It wasn't even hot hand. It was just how the game was being called and what matchups we had. Archie should have been on the floor for that reason alone.

That said, he is a liability on defense and I understand it through that lens. Per cbbanalytics, we allow 26 extra points per 100 possessions when Archie is on the floor vs off. Most on the team. That's something Konkol is going to care about.
That last observation is very surprising to me based upon the on ball defense he plays. His defensive box +/- is the best on the team per sportsreference.

He also has one of the best offensive box +/-, the highest PER, highest true shooting percentage, highest effective field goal percentage, and the best win shares per 40 minutes.

Of course some of those numbers are skewed by his limited minutes, but a kid producing like that will be lured away in the portal if you don’t give him the minutes he deserves.

Last edited:
I bet Archie gets us 30 extra points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor. He was scoring at one point per minute when pulled. I suspect the extra points scored against us while Archie is in the game on defense could be due to the second string players that he has to go in with as well. We have no one that can go chest to chest with the opposing point guard better and gather at least one steal and layup off each one.

That last observation is very surprising to me based upon the on ball defense he plays. His defensive box +/- is the best on the team per sportsreference.

He also has one of the best offensive box +/-, the highest PER, highest true shooting percentage, highest effective field goal percentage, and the best win shares per 40 minutes.

Of course some of those numbers are skewed by his limited minutes, but a kid producing like that will be lured away in the portal if you don’t give him the minutes he deserves.
Defensive box +/- has no play-by-play input. So the only defensive contribution to the calculation is steals and blocks. That also means the stat has no idea when the player was on the floor. His on-ball defense is interesting so far. It's far more aggressive than any of the other guards and I like the change of pace it provides. He also (maybe intentionally?) will often give his man leverage in order to swipe from behind.

No argument on the offensive side. He's been a revelation there.

As I said, I thought he should've played down the stretch. I was furiously texting TulsaTeen that sentiment. Just explaining why I think Konkol disagreed. As for the future PT, we'll have to see how it shakes out. Minutes will be even harder to come by with Willis back. In my opinion, we need to play Garcia at the 5 to get our best players on the floor.

I bet Archie gets us 30 extra points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor. He was scoring at one point per minute when pulled. I suspect the extra points scored against us while Archie is in the game on defense could be due to the second string players that he has to go in with as well. We have no one that can go chest to chest with the opposing point guard better and gather at least one steal and layup off each one.
You're close. So far, we're +24.5 on offense with him on the floor.

I will note that astonmartin708 has a record number of likes (for him) on his above post. Very nice post.......
LOL, I note that's 3 likes, making this a dictionary entry for "backhanded compliment". (or is it complement? I can't keep them straight)

I bet Archie gets us 30 extra points per 100 possessions when he is on the floor. He was scoring
at one point per minute when pulled. I suspect the extra points scored against us while Archie is
in the game on defense could be due to the second string players that he has to go in with as well.
We have no one that can go chest to chest with the opposing point guard better and gather at
least one steal and layup off each one.
Unless we consider Shea Seals a guard, and if so, he certainly wasn't a point, I can't think of a
true freshman PG since Eldridge Webb that was more productive per minute Than Archie...We
obviously have had some very good PGs through the years, but none had the start he has had...

It is my hope that Konkol's previous relationship with a couple of the guards in our rotation will
have no adverse bearing on Archies' deserved playing time...I kept wondering that as i watched
the late portions of the Little Rock game, and kept wondering why Archie wasn't on the floor...

Archie is a rare find and very important to the future of our program, and I hope he is treated
accordingly....By the coaches, by the fans, and by the media....It is amazing what he can and
does do..

Last edited:
Unless we consider Shea Seals a guard, and if so, he certainly wasn't a point, I can't think of a
true freshman PG since Eldridge Webb that was more productive per minute Than Archie...We
obviously have had some very good PGs through the years, but none had the start he has had...

It is my hope that Konkol's previous relationship with a couple of the guards in our rotation
will have no bearing on Archies' deserved playing time...I kept wondering that as i watched the
late portions of the Little Rock game, and kept wondering why Archie wasn't on the floor...

Archie is a rare find and very important to the future of our program, and I hope he is treated
accordingly....By the coaches, by the fans, and by the media....It is amazing what he can and
does do....
I always enjoy the context and history you bring with your posts, as well as obvious current insights.

I agree with basically everyone on here, so I don't have much to add other than one thing I think we can all agree with...

How did Archie not have a lot more offers?! Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad he is playing for Tulsa, but it just surprises me based on what I've seen of him so far and from HS video on him.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT