ADVERTISEMENT

TW - TU quarterbacks focusing on footwork in early rounds of spring drills

Interesting comment by Coach Monty concerning Evans...

"We're just trying to teach him how to be a quarterback," new coach Philip Montgomery said. "He's run the offense and he's been plugged into a lot of systems, but we're teaching him how to be a true quarterback - keeping his feet underneath him, keeping his balance, doing some different things with his release and how he prepares himself to throw."

Coach Monty starts with fundamentals with Evans...

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
Really feel the best thing TU did was getting a new coach to be able to teach the QB's correct footwork. Footwork is the basis of a QB's foundation. Without the right footwork you are only half the QB you could be.
This post was edited on 3/10 10:33 PM by TulsaEye
I guess the question is what did BB and Josh B teach Evans then?

Footwork and balance is an issue for all but the most polished QBs. It's sort of irrelevant now, but it's something that Josh rode him hard about and there was significant improvement(stepping up in the pocket rather than falling back, etc), though it was still often ugly. Montgomery is one of the best in the business with QBs so I would expect even more improvement with him than with Josh. I think Dane is really going to light it up this year.

Originally posted by URedskin54:
Footwork and balance is an issue for all but the most polished QBs. It's sort of irrelevant now, but it's something that Josh rode him hard about and there was significant improvement(stepping up in the pocket rather than falling back, etc), though it was still often ugly. Montgomery is one of the best in the business with QBs so I would expect even more improvement with him than with Josh. I think Dane is really going to light it up this year.
Fair enough and I actually thought our QBs were better this past year than the year before. I guess the real question would be why wasn't BB able to fix some of this stuff. He was a QB and this should have been his strength. I am just confused as to why we had so many issues in places that we probably should not have the last couple of years.

I think it's fair to say he wasn't a particularly great passing QB when he played so maybe not much translation to coaching it, though he did have some pretty good QBs come through his HS. But yeah lots of things were dysfunctional. I'm excited to see what the new staff can do with all of our playmakers.

Really like what I've heard so far about Montgomery. Basically a player's coach that comes down hard on them and then 5 minutes later has his arm around them asking them about their family.

This post was edited on 3/11 12:57 PM by URedskin54

Between Coach Monty and Coach Blankenship your talking about a difference in the teaching quality level. If you know more, you have more to give as a mentor. Give Monty the nod on that. I expect he recognized the areas where the Tulsa QB's were lacking right away. Even fans on the sidelines realized the Tulsa QB's basics were not that good. Baylor's Head Coach Art Briles staff for some time, has been able to take good QB's and make great QB's out of them. I include Coach Monty in that personnel.

I suspect that the Tulsa admin did even better than they knew with their latest football HC'ing hire. This staff has the possibility to be even better than Graham's staff was. Certain of coach Graham's assistant coaches a had built in liabilities. Monty's staff doesn't appear to have those same liabilities at the present time.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:52 PM by TulsaEye

I liked the interview they posted on the official site today.

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
Between Coach Monty and Coach Blankenship your talking about a difference in the teaching quality level. If you know more, you have more to give as a mentor. Give Monty the nod on that.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:52 PM by TulsaEye
I thought I did? Clearly there's not much to defend. I'm just saying that mechanical issues are learned bad habits that take a lot of time to work out of, and many never do. There will still be mechanical issues with Dane this year, though I expect him to be much better in all areas with Montgomery coaching him and another year of experience.

This post was edited on 3/12 2:26 AM by URedskin54

I agree Dane had a number of things wrong with his throwing mechanics and his footwork was the worst. BB coaching him did him no favors what so ever. He is just now getting the coaching he was needing all along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT