ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa showing interest in, Missouri St transfer, Marcus Marshall

Is that the guy that single handedly kept MoState in the game against us? He was launching bombs from everywhere and many of them against pretty good defense.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
So he'd sit out a year and be in TK's class?
If thats the plan, it would certainly be BIG for the program. He's All-MVC material. It would allow us to transition nicely from the "Fab Five" we have. Actually I guess its more like "Seven from Heaven"!!!

Originally posted by texcane1982:

bad apple?

TX
Not sure. MoState hasn't been very good and an article I read said that he and HC Paul Lusk had a "disagreement" about x's and o's and Marshall was suspended for a game vs. Evansville. The decision that Marshall and MoState to part ways was said to be a mutual decision.

Originally posted by rabidTU:
So he'd sit out a year and be in TK's class?
If thats the plan, it would certainly be BIG for the program. He's All-MVC material. It would allow us to transition nicely from the "Fab Five" we have. Actually I guess its more like "Seven from Heaven"!!!
Fab Five.......

Sensational Seven.....

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

bad apple?

TX
Not sure. MoState hasn't been very good and an article I read said that he and HC Paul Lusk had a "disagreement" about x's and o's and Marshall was suspended for a game vs. Evansville. The decision that Marshall and MoState to part ways was said to be a mutual decision.
He sounds like the complete opposite of what TU currently has.... "everyone pulling on the same end of the rope".

It was "bad apple" transfers that contributed to Haith's 2 year drop off at Mizzou.

Unlike Memphis and UCONN, TU currently has a group of players that play as a team. You introduce someone to the mix that "thinks" he knows more than the coaching staff and you introduce a cancer to the "team". The 2016-17 team will be loaded with impressionable undersclassmen, and they certainly don't need a "cancer" on the roster.

If Haith and Staff are seriously interested in this kid, I would hope the situation is thoroughly vetted and the players get a chance to hang out with the kid and have input as to whether they believe he would fit into the culture before an offer is extended. Granted, Marshall would not be playing in games with the cohesive Jr. class that seems to be real tight-knit, but he would be part of the team next season as an ineligible transfer. You would think this Jr. class is setting an example for the underclassmen as to how a collection plays as "one", and hopefully the culture remains in tact.

Assuming TU's coaching staff stays in tact a few more years, TU does offer one advantage MO. State, and all but 2 other DI schools can offer, experience leadership on the bench that knows how to get "everyone pulling on the same end of the rope".

My intial thought is pass, and try to bring in a top JUCO guard for the 2016 recruitng class.

just my .02

TX

This post was edited on 1/30 2:53 PM by texcane1982

Originally posted by astonmartin708:
He'd still count against a scholarship the year he sat out though, correct?
I would think so unless TU can bring him as a walk-on and provide financial aide, assuming he qualifies for said aide? IIRC, the 2015 class is already oversigned by 1?

TX

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

bad apple?

TX
He sounds like the complete opposite of what TU currently has.... "everyone pulling on the same end of the rope".

It was "bad apple" transfers that contributed to Haith's 2 year drop off at Mizzou.

Unlike Memphis and UCONN, TU currently has a group of players that play as a team. You introduce someone to the mix that "thinks" he knows more than the coaching staff and you introduce a cancer to the "team". The 2016-17 team will be loaded with impressionable undersclassmen, and they certainly don't need a "cancer" on the roster.

If Haith and Staff are seriously interested in this kid, I would hope the situation is thoroughly vetted and the players get a chance to hang out with the kid and have input as to whether they believe he would fit into the culture before an offer is extended. Granted, Marshall would not be playing in games with the cohesive Jr. class that seems to be real tight-knit, but he would be part of the team next season as an ineligible transfer. You would think this Jr. class is setting an example for the underclassmen as to how a collection plays as "one", and hopefully the culture remains in tact.

Assuming TU's coaching staff stays in tact a few more years, TU does offer one advantage MO. State, and all but 2 other DI schools can offer, experience leadership on the bench that knows how to get "everyone pulling on the same end of the rope".

My intial thought is pass, and try to bring in a top JUCO guard for the 2016 recruitng class.

just my .02

TX

This post was edited on 1/30 2:53 PM by texcane1982
Sometimes the kids are right.

See McLean and Hill

Go TU!!!!

But you're talking Wojcik. Paul Lusk is not Wojcik.

Marshall was the leading scorer by more than 10 ppg for MoState. He's a really good player but doesn't want to involve others. Unless he is going to provide a ridiculous boost to your team then it is risky as he would basically be in for one year.

I tend to agree with Tex but I do have to side eye the fact that he's like the 8th player to transfer out under his coach in less than 4 years.

He either recruits a bunch of bad apples or he's a big part of the problem...

Lots of armchair experts in this thread on the kid's character.

Yeah I don't get the judgment on his character and being bad for the program. If he has character issues I say pass, but I haven't seen any evidence of it. Only people making assumptions, I assume because he is leaving? He has fantastic stats and isn't afraid to shoot. With the shooting percentages he puts up he can't be taking many bad shots, so I'm not sure what the concern is?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We will need all the help we can get the year after this Jr class graduates... Even if he's only eligible for a year and have to not renew a current player's scholarship, by all means we take him. He's better (at least right now) than any freshman or sophomore we have! And the only first or second year players with a prayer of being better than him are LJ and K Dew...

How soon we forget how much Kauri Black helped us in just one year.

Based on what we have on the roster after the Fab Five leaves, we might need a players who's comfortable doing more on his own :-/.

Just sayin.

Also, it should be the Magnificent Seven

I keep thinking about what Nolan said when he offered Ricky Ross a scholly. Something to the effect that he has no where else to go, if he wants to make it work it will have to be at TU!

A fifth year player is a different situation that a four year kid who loses a year. Same with a juco.

I don't know if he's a bad apple but this is not a Kauri Black situation.

Compare him to Scottie if anything.

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
Yeah I don't get the judgment on his character and being bad for the program. If he has character issues I say pass, but I haven't seen any evidence of it. Only people making assumptions, I assume because he is leaving? He has fantastic stats and isn't afraid to shoot. With the shooting percentages he puts up he can't be taking many bad shots, so I'm not sure what the concern is?

This

The Marshall Plan

Dude, I get that you want to break the scoop, but that doesn't say much.

According to some different stories I saw online, Marshall has been vocal about his displeasure with Lusk and it was suggested Marshall may have called Lusk out about in game decisions which led to his suspension. Things like this happen when things are not going well for a team. I just know the kid can score from anywhere...showed that against us.

You need high quality talent to win big. You take a chance on talent and hope Haith can handle him. If he is a problem, you cut him loose. Not much of a risk really.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:
You need high quality talent to win big. You take a chance on talent and hope Haith can handle him. If he is a problem, you cut him loose. Not much of a risk really.
+1

Originally posted by URedskin54:

+1
Bingo! Every kid deserves a chance. With some of them, smaller is better. If the kid is "legal and clean" and has the right group around him it works fine. If he's had a lot of legal trouble, maybe its best to forget it. A lot fo kids out there are just looking for the right situation. Some schools aren't THAT like the big impersonal state schools - OU, OSU and yes Missouri State. Nothing against those schools, but some kids get caught up in the vaste wasteland of huge class size, dorm shenanigans and dumb down courses they seldom attend.

This is a different discussion for me if we weren't already oversigned.

There are not two current system players worth the experiment for me.

This is a different discussion for me if we weren't already oversigned.

There are not two current system players worth the experiment for me.

IMO any kid thats not getting big minutes and wasn't recruited by Haith is at risk of transfer. Unfortunately thats the way of the world in MBB.

I didn't say it's not.

But few minutes doesn't automatically mean recruit over them regardless of replacement.

Marshall is a 3rd yr Junior. Was MVC newcomer of the year his FR yr, missed half of last season with the knee injury and was in the middle of his JR season this year when the decision to leave MoState was made. If he goes D1 he sits next yr and RS unless he goes to OU and they are able to get him the Tayshaun Thomas treatment. He'll have 1 yr to play either way

I don't like the "recruit over" stuff either. But, I can definitely see 2, and a possible 3rd that won't be back next year. On scholarship.

If you want to be a big-time factor in a big-time conference (and nationally) you have to get the best players you can get each year. That means guys are going to get recruited over. If you are not "recruiting over" your lesser guys, you aren't going to win at the level everyone here wants.

If you want to be a big-time factor in a big-time conference (and nationally) you have to get the best players you can get each year. That means guys are going to get recruited over. If you are not "recruiting over" your lesser guys, you aren't going to win at the level everyone here wants.
Bingo! I think we learned that the last few years in another popular sport on campus.

Self always found a good home for guys
that were recruited over. TU hasn't had
this dilemma since those days. A good
problem. No one ever gets kicked to the
curb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT