ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa public schools. WTF?

Considering that the source of the problem is the lunatic Walters, this is unfortunate. Of course numerous city leaders have called him out on his shenanigans but he is a persistent mofo.

• Haha
Reactions: watu05
Considering that the source of the problem is the lunatic Walters, this is unfortunate. Of course numerous city leaders have called him out on his shenanigans but he is a persistent mofo.
Lol. Ugh no. Walters has been in office for 8 months. The problems with TPS date back far before that. Now if you want to argue that Walters actions are extreme and punitive then I’m all ears.

TPS paid over $340k to an ex TPS employee. The payment had “no business purpose” whatsoever. Someone is going to get fired for that or fall on the sword. Gist was in charge so she is ultimately responsible. Look….you can’t rail on Stitt or Epic financial mismanagement and just ignore what went on at TPS. On the positive side the problems appear to be on their way to being fixed due to the audit.

TPS has some challenging schools. It is the hand they have been dealt. Closing schools down for an extended period due to Covid killed those at risk schools. TPS knew those at risk students weren’t doing remote learning. They also had to know what the result would be once they resumed in class study. Many of these kids missed a year of schooling. Lots of blame to go around on the scholastic front. Hopefully Walters will now step back and allow some meaningful improvements to be implemented in our TPS schools. They are needed

Reactions: HuffyCane
.Hopefully Walters will now step back and allow some meaningful improvements to be implemented in our TPS schools. They are needed
Nah, he’s too busy trying to destroy public education in favor of home and charter skools.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Lol. Ugh no. Walters has been in office for 8 months. The problems with TPS date back far before that. Now if you want to argue that Walters actions are extreme and punitive then I’m all ears.

TPS paid over $340k to an ex TPS employee. The payment had “no business purpose” whatsoever. Someone is going to get fired for that or fall on the sword. Gist was in charge so she is ultimately responsible. Look….you can’t rail on Stitt or Epic financial mismanagement and just ignore what went on at TPS. On the positive side the problems appear to be on their way to being fixed due to the audit.

TPS has some challenging schools. It is the hand they have been dealt. Closing schools down for an extended period due to Covid killed those at risk schools. TPS knew those at risk students weren’t doing remote learning. They also had to know what the result would be once they resumed in class study. Many of these kids missed a year of schooling. Lots of blame to go around on the scholastic front. Hopefully Walters will now step back and allow some meaningful improvements to be implemented in our TPS schools. They are needed
This. There was an opportunity for crisis intervention at the lowest performing schools coming out of CoVid. We squandered that choice.

What’s really shocking to me is the number of personal contacts I’ve got on the left side of the aisle that have confided to me privately in the last two years that money is not really the problem. It’s teacher leadership gridlock and self serving negotiations against the best interests of teachers and students.

Regardless of the problems TPS is facing, Walters gets in the middle of that and removes some of the necessary focus towards the things that need to be changed.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Regardless of the problems TPS is facing, Walters gets in the middle of that and removes some of the necessary focus towards the things that need to be changed.
Unfortunately I don’t recall any focus on the financial irregularities in TPS and very little focus on those at risk kids who were left behind due to Covid prior to the state getting involved. I agree that Walters is the wrong guy to lead the changes but let’s not pretend that TPS was moving forward with significant changes prior to State involvement. Hell…they didn’t even know (or didn’t admit to knowing) $360k was missing.

My only contact with TPS was decades ago with one exception: @ 12 years ago the daughter of a friend of ours was assigned by Teach for America to an elementary school on or near Admiral. She eventually had to set up a "Go Fund Me" site to raise money for basic school supplies to use in class. Surprising.

The national coverage offers an interesting view of Oklahoma.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ryan-walters-oklahoma-schools-superintendent-tulsa-rcna101235
Lots of teachers across the U.S. are having to pay for school supplies out of their own pocket or do a go fund me now. That's not good but it is becoming more and more common. Essentially you have to be a good fundraiser, or accept less than the already low salary that they offer you, due to an unfunded negative stipend.

The state congress' are failing on two counts rather than one now, adding low materials funding to the equation of already low teacher salaries. Wealthier districts cover this with supplemental taxes and/or parent contributions to a supposedly 'free' education. Poorer districts suffer and have to put the onus on the teachers.

Area teachers have purchased some of their supplies for as long as I can remember. What has changed of late is the Administrative oversight they now endure. In one large area school district teachers are required to keep an information sheet on every student. Teachers must know

1). Students name
2). Students name they want to be called in class
3) Name they want to be called in front of their parents
4). Pronouns they want to be used in class
5). Pronouns they want used in front of their parents.

Teaches are subject to discipline if they fail to follow (intentional or unintentional) any of the above.

Wonder how many teachers would be willing to buy some colored paper instead of being required to know and follow the above for every one of their students?

Unfortunately I don’t recall any focus on the financial irregularities in TPS and very little focus on those at risk kids who were left behind due to Covid prior to the state getting involved. I agree that Walters is the wrong guy to lead the changes but let’s not pretend that TPS was moving forward with significant changes prior to State involvement. Hell…they didn’t even know (or didn’t admit to knowing) $360k was missing.
Meanwhile, the suburban districts blow that amount on Offensive Line coaches for the JV teams…. Lol

Reactions: watu05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT