ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa at Memphis Women's Basketball

TU4ever2

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Ok, everyone probably knows the drill by now.

Ladies play at Memphis today 1pm. Game on ESPN+ (with awesome replay feature for a few days) and 93.5 fm the jet on Iheartradio app.

Last game was a little tough with the men playing. I went back to watch the 2nd half for that game thread and unfortunately we had technical difficulties meaning all but the first three of four mins of the 2nd half were un watchable. So I checked box score and then watched the highlights on youtube matching it up with the play by play to try and glean a little of what happened.

The third quarter TU began to take control of the game and really a small late run closed the gap from 7 or 8 points to 3 going into the fourth. Tulsa didn't make a big run the best I can tell, rather they just took the game over and continued to widen the lead.

It appears Wyvette calmed down some and cut down on the turn overs, hard to tell but her stats say most of her 7 TO (yeah 7) were early. It was a tough game for a freshman, I saw her turn up her defense though and she still contributed. So while it was her first true I'm a freshman game she already showed she knows how to play like an upperclassman by trying to increase her influence on the game in ways besides her offense.

Evans is in beast mode probably the last two and half games. She is crashing the boards, the game has really slowed down for her and her decision making is getting better and better as she adjusts to the game at this level. Girl is a baller. I saw Mossman talking to her after a couple 3s. Pretty sure she was wanting her to take a couple dribbles in to the high post and shoot a couple that had defenders closing on her.

Lewis really showed up in the the third and watching highlights looking at the box score she really took over in the fourth and was involved in a lot of plays.

Bittle continues to be a great 6th man, she can sub in at the 2, at the 3, or at the four when we go even smaller than we naturally are. She's a great defender, solid rebounder, has a smooth shot and a very good decision maker.

It seems from watching highlight and the box score we got a lot of paint touches, or more appropriately we ran our offense through the high post. Lewis snagged a few assists and we rotated the ball through for some good cuts and swings to shooters. Evans, Mia, and Lascay also all used drives to get in that area for jump shots and floaters. Despite Wyvette struggling we won going away which is a good sign and also probably changes the way we have been playing. I doubt the Mayberrys have ever played on a team that isn't them centric and for good reason, but Evans is at least in their talent catagory and you can see her being more assertive and the mistakes come with understanding what she did wrong. Lascay and Lewis continue to be strong demanding leaders.

Hopefully the offense will continue to run through the high post as it really opens up the game by collapsing the perimeter pressure TU has seen. Our rotation was basically eight players against ECU and I think that's where it probably should be. With Evans emergence I think she is in the starting line up. Bittle is first off the bench because of her flexibility, our Icelandic forward will sub in for Lewis or Evan's with Bittle spending a little time at the four on occasion. Kk Rodriguez will come in for Mayberrys and give us another driving attacking guard who should be able to control the ball/offense. It's going to be important for us to keep balanced on offense and have good ball movement. We have to rebound out of the defense and keep those numbers close. That's a successful maybe post season type play for the ladies.

Memphis is in that lower tier, Tulsa needs to win this game, and likely the next to build some momentum going into a tough stretch of games after that.

The league looks like 3 bids with Houston capable of working their way in so it's going to be a good conference this year.

As always I will try and give a spoiler alert, but I expect Tulsa to steadily work their way into a comfortable lead and get a W. Hopefully the ECU game is the end of the fourth quarter struggles.

Also Evans had her first career double double. It was the second game in a row where she was clearly our best post player.

Tulsa looks smooth to start. Defense is strong with good help, girls communicating and supporting each other. Mia has a couple steals, Tulsa has forced several turn overs. Memphis tried some pressure but this is the usual Wyvette, she attacked it, broke it, then found Evans for an easy basket. Tulsa has had some good transition and in half court the two possesions have gone through the high post.
Memphis needs a time out as Tulsa roars out the gate.

1Q 7:45
Tulsa 10
Memphis 2

Hrafnkelsdottir with the buzzer beater at the end of the first. Girls first quarter was damn near perfect. The team put together an entire quarter of very good offense and very good defense. Perhaps the best quarter we have had. Offense has lots of movements a handful of times has the ball not gone inside. They finished with an 8-0 run and held Memphis 1-8 for the second part of the half. We missed two lay ups we should have made, lascay had two shots she is usually money on roll in and out. Mia got in foul trouble but it didn't matter. Bittle playing great. Tulsa boxing out bugs and letting others get rebounds.

2Q 10:00
Tulsa 23
Memphis 10

Tulsa goes cold, still running good offense, a couple misses (including a couple offensive rebounds) and good play from Memphis let's them start with a 7-0 run, Bittle makes a nice back cut for a lay up. Both Mayberrys in foul trouble now, team will have to learn to do it with them on the bench for a while. Tulsa got out of their rythm on offense with the change. Defense remains solid, Tulsa just needs the guards in now to calm down a little. Washington and Rodriguez putting a little too much pressure on themselves. 9-2 run in first 5 mins of second.

2Q 4:47
Tulsa 25
Memphis 19

Tulsa has gone completely cold. Some 50/50 foul calls go against TU. Memphis makes free throws and a couple deep threes to take the lead as Tulsa has had at least four shots go in and out. Only Bittles basket has got in this quarter.

1Q 1:30
Tulsa 25
Memphis 31

Good job by Tulsa to finish the 2Q.

Mossman puts Mia in and the offense instantly smooths back out. Mia goes to the line and makes two to stop a 14-0 run by Memphis. Strong defensive play, Memphis is hot right now though and their post makes a long jumper. Tulsa pushes pace a little, Destiny Johnson makes a good drive, leaves it for Hrafnkelsdottir who goes up strong and puts in. Defense forces a turnover, Tulsa gets it down court quick, Johnson with a second strong drive get a lay up. Tulsa needs to come out strong and keep running their offense, those shots will fall, the whole quarter only three or four of those shots were bad takes, Tulsa just couldn't make one.

Halftime
Tulsa 31
Memphis 33

Ok, everyone probably knows the drill by now.

Ladies play at Memphis today 1pm. Game on ESPN+ (with awesome replay feature for a few days) and 93.5 fm the jet on Iheartradio app.

Last game was a little tough with the men playing. I went back to watch the 2nd half for that game thread and unfortunately we had technical difficulties meaning all but the first three of four mins of the 2nd half were un watchable. So I checked box score and then watched the highlights on youtube matching it up with the play by play to try and glean a little of what happened.

The third quarter TU began to take control of the game and really a small late run closed the gap from 7 or 8 points to 3 going into the fourth. Tulsa didn't make a big run the best I can tell, rather they just took the game over and continued to widen the lead.

It appears Wyvette calmed down some and cut down on the turn overs, hard to tell but her stats say most of her 7 TO (yeah 7) were early. It was a tough game for a freshman, I saw her turn up her defense though and she still contributed. So while it was her first true I'm a freshman game she already showed she knows how to play like an upperclassman by trying to increase her influence on the game in ways besides her offense.

Evans is in beast mode probably the last two and half games. She is crashing the boards, the game has really slowed down for her and her decision making is getting better and better as she adjusts to the game at this level. Girl is a baller. I saw Mossman talking to her after a couple 3s. Pretty sure she was wanting her to take a couple dribbles in to the high post and shoot a couple that had defenders closing on her.

Lewis really showed up in the the third and watching highlights looking at the box score she really took over in the fourth and was involved in a lot of plays.

Bittle continues to be a great 6th man, she can sub in at the 2, at the 3, or at the four when we go even smaller than we naturally are. She's a great defender, solid rebounder, has a smooth shot and a very good decision maker.

It seems from watching highlight and the box score we got a lot of paint touches, or more appropriately we ran our offense through the high post. Lewis snagged a few assists and we rotated the ball through for some good cuts and swings to shooters. Evans, Mia, and Lascay also all used drives to get in that area for jump shots and floaters. Despite Wyvette struggling we won going away which is a good sign and also probably changes the way we have been playing. I doubt the Mayberrys have ever played on a team that isn't them centric and for good reason, but Evans is at least in their talent catagory and you can see her being more assertive and the mistakes come with understanding what she did wrong. Lascay and Lewis continue to be strong demanding leaders.

Hopefully the offense will continue to run through the high post as it really opens up the game by collapsing the perimeter pressure TU has seen. Our rotation was basically eight players against ECU and I think that's where it probably should be. With Evans emergence I think she is in the starting line up. Bittle is first off the bench because of her flexibility, our Icelandic forward will sub in for Lewis or Evan's with Bittle spending a little time at the four on occasion. Kk Rodriguez will come in for Mayberrys and give us another driving attacking guard who should be able to control the ball/offense. It's going to be important for us to keep balanced on offense and have good ball movement. We have to rebound out of the defense and keep those numbers close. That's a successful maybe post season type play for the ladies.

Memphis is in that lower tier, Tulsa needs to win this game, and likely the next to build some momentum going into a tough stretch of games after that.

The league looks like 3 bids with Houston capable of working their way in so it's going to be a good conference this year.

As always I will try and give a spoiler alert, but I expect Tulsa to steadily work their way into a comfortable lead and get a W. Hopefully the ECU game is the end of the fourth quarter struggles.

Three times posts have magically disappeared. I will recap the 3Q later.

4Q 9:18
Tulsa 43
Memphis 45

Mossman calls time out. Mia fell asleep on inbounds and Memphis hit a corner 3. They are shooting 50% from three right now and several with a defender. We look tired and its Mossmans bad subbing in the 3Q that did it. Memphis on a 6-2 run to start the quarter.

4Q 8:00
Tulsa 43
Memphis 50

Bittle nails another 3, she has 16 for the game and looks very much like the player she has been the past couple years. Tulsa gets a couple turnovers off a jump ball and Memphis offensive foul. Tulsa defense remains strong and has kept them in this game. Memphis free throws and 3 pt shooting keeping them in front. Lewis continues to assert herself in the fourth quarter. Couple offensive boards keep a possesion alive. Tulsa can't quite cut it to one basket, still some struggles on shooting. Going to go ahead and give a warning. It feels like Tulsa should be in control of this game. Just have to make shots.

!!!Spoiler warning!!!

4Q 4:47
Tulsa 48
Memphis 54

A bit of home cooking hurting Tulsa. Mia is fouled on a 3pt, I feel like this happens once a game. Bittle takes a bump misses on a bunny drive. Tulsa blocks out gets a defensive board. Down 6. Evan's three off the rim, Memphis rebound. Tulsa 1-7, 0-4, haven't had a basket in 4+ minutes. Memphis ball

4Q 1:18
Tulsa 50
Memphis 56

Memphis with a set play, drive lay up, foul and one. Memphis makes. Bittles three off, Mia with a rebound and misses a lay up. Memphis scrambles, runs clock gets a shot up as shot clock expires, rebound out of bounds. Wyvette with a good look, in out, in out. Memphis wins.

Final
Tulsa 50
Memphis 59

This loss is purely completely on Mossman and her terrible subbing in the 3rd. We have a short bench, but she made zero subs for 8 or so minutes. Tulsa started strong, missed some shots and then the game got up and down. All of Tulsa's shots started coming up short, it was clear the five were gassed, it went on another two or so minutes before the media time out.

The game went from tied to a six point lead for Memphis that Tulsa never cracked again. Bittle and Hrafnkelsdottir sat on the bench after both had a very productive first half. Bittle was the only player shooting well, she finished with a career high 16. Bittle came in and got us a basket right away.

Evans stuffed her stats with a bunch of assists, rebounds and a few buckets. The defense was very solid, the problem was purely offensive. Mossman will also have to learn to trust the Mayberrys to stay out of foul trouble after picking up two early in the first half, rather than sit them for the entire second quarter.

Our rebounding was pretty solid, Evan's added in with Lewis and Hrafnkelsdottir's work rate has given us a lot more balance. The spurty subbing is a huge issue, I have no idea who is responsible for that but it has to be fixed. With out a deep bench they have to regularly rotate and they have two players who are solid enough to cover every spot on the floor. Lascay can play the 2/3. Wyvette can play the 2 in a pinch. Mia goes 1/2. Evans is a great 4 and when we go small (even smaller) she serves well as a 5, over time she might be a very solid 3 as well. Lewis is a nice 4 if undersized. Bittle can play the 2/3/4 depending on what we are trying to do. Hrafnkelsdottir is really a 4 but plays the 5 decent for us. Rodriguez can play 1/2/3 though it will mostly be the 1/3 for her. Plenty of flexibility to make it work, especially since she has two or three other players she can sneak in for a moment here or there and stay solid defensively. Her rotations are more like she only has five, or she has ten.

There is a lot too work with but we need a low post player really really bad. That alone would up our rebounding and probably cut the droughts a lot. We force a ton of turnovers that offset the rebounding difference but we need to be more efficient on scoring off them.

Our offense is looking so much better than I have seen all year. The movement was good, solid drives, it ran through the high post and there were very few shots that didn't come off the ball going inside some how. Missed shots though 🥶😱

Mossman has a team that can definitely help her keep her job but she will need to do great not good coaching because it has deficiencies. Our top 7 are really good and relatively young. No idea what they will do about the extra elgibility but there are five underclassman players very synced up who will be coming back with a lot of talent. Evans is definitely going to be a great partner in crime for Wyvette and their careers show a lot of promise. Bittle and Mia are gritty and show a lot more experience in their play doing small things making big differences.

Thought they had this one for a while.

I did too. The legs left them in that struggle of a 3rd quarter. We played incredible the first quarter, survived with the Mayberrys in trouble to only be down two at half. Then even though frustrated the girls kept at it. Our offense looked really good minus the missed shots. Best movement all year for a whole game. Defense had a slip up here or there which you can't have on an off night offensively struggling to score. It was good enough to win.

We have only played well in one fourth quarter, the ECU game almost no one got to see. Our 4th against OSU was just ok. That's an issue that has to be fixed, that's three games that could be wins we have seen slip away like that. I think it's in the sub patterns (particularly the minutes the Mayberrys run up) that have the girls on empty heading into the final push.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT